Memba Numero Uno

• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:34 AM

Kreon Alternative FW for the Samsung SH-D162C drive v0.81
Posted by XanTium | October 4 20:34 EST

Kreon released a new version of his firmware for the Samsung SH-D162C PC DVD-drive. This modified firmware allows you to dump original Xbox and Xbox 360 discs (including extracting the Security Sectors (SS)) with the cheap SH-D162 PC DVD drive (no Xbox(360)-drive or disc hot-swap required).

XBOX 360 enabled alternative FW for the Samsung SH-D162C drive - V0.81
The time has come for a small update. A few bugs/problems was identified in the V0.80 release, so a lot of effort has gone into testing V0.81 in order to provide a more stable and reliable experience.

Changes/fixes in this release..
* Fixed: Wrong disc size was reported following a SS extraction when in 'lock' mode.
* Fixed: SS extraction for XBOX game discs didn't work as expected, causing incorrect data in response table.
* Added: The speed of the drive is set to 6x prior to extracting SS data just like the TS-H943 does 5x.
* Added: A sense error 03/11/00 (Media Error - Read Error) will now be reported, if an unrecoverable read error occurs during SS extraction.
* Fixed: A few other minor fixes to improve overall performance an reliability.

This is what you get..
* Full challenge/response functionality.
* Two types of unlock for XBOX 360 game discs. One for making xtreme style images and one for making wxripper style images. Both types of iso can be made using isobuster. Ripping using wxripper isn't supported for the time being
* A 'lock' function that will cancel any enabled unlock state. This can be very useful for custom applications.
* 'Error skipping' which basically speeds up the error handling of the drive. A complete wxripper style image (including video) can be obtained in 15-16 minutes, when error skipping is enabled. Getting through the critical area of LBA 19408-20479 will take you more than 20 minutes alone, if error skipping is disabled :(
* A much more streamlined command interface which is good news if you intend to write an application that makes use of the drives extra features.
* The drive will default to unlock state 2 and error skip enabled when a 360 media is inserted. You can in other words use isobuster to obtain a wxripper style image without issuing any commands to the drive :)
* RPC1 support (RPC-2 actually but with automatic change of drive region and RCE support)

This is what you'll have to wait for..
* Hardware correct timing for response types 5 & 7.

Official Site: n/a (by Kreon on xboxhacker.net)
Download: n/a (could be illegal under DMCA/EUCD)

#2 XanTium

XanTium

Xanta Powa!

• Admin
  • 3,110 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 October 2006 - 12:52 AM

Rest of nfo/read

Creating a backup ..
---------------------------------
This release of the firmware has been optimized for use with applications like Xbox Backup Creator and Schtrom 360 extract in mind. The latest fixes/additions are based on hours of testing using the latest beta builds of those applications, so the traditional isobuster ripping method is no longer recommended. Both applications reduces the backup process to something as simple as pressing a button and then burning the image that was created. CloneCD is no longer recommended for burning, as some issues have been reported, that can cause a game to fail from booting.
As an alternative ImgBurn is a free and simple to use application that does the job every time.

You will probably notice that the the drive reports as being RPC-2, if you use a program like DVDinfo - this is not a bug! The drive changes it's region setting according to the media inserted. The region code listed in DVDinfo (and other software like it) is the current region setting of the drive and it should match the region of the inserted media. If the media allows playback in more than one region, the drive region will be set to the region with the lowest number. An example could be a disc allowing playback in region 2 and 4 players, which would make the drive change it's region to region 2. Media with no region restrictions or with RCE protection will make the drive default to region 1.

And now some technical stuff....

Command set additions found in this FW..
-----------------------------------------------
FF 08 01 01 , 'Enable Unlock 1 (xtreme) state' as we already know it from the 360 xtreme modded drives.
This command is supported for legacy reasons only. Custom applications should use the new
'Set lock state' instead.

FF 08 01 11 xx , 'Set Lock State'
xx=00 - Drive locked (no unlock state)
xx=01 - Unlock State 1 (xtreme) enabled
xx=02 - Unlock state 2 (wxripper) enabled

FF 08 01 15 xx , 'Set Error Skip State'
xx=00 - Error skip is disabled
xx=01 - Error skip is enabled

AD 00 FF 02 FD FF FE 00 08 00 xx C0 , This is the well known SS extract commands from the xtreme FW.

FF 08 01 10 , 'Get Feature List'
This command will return a list of the additional features supported by the drive.
All values returned are 16 bit values, and the list is terminated with null (0x0000)
The two first words of the returned list always reads as 0xA55A 0X5AA5 in order to guarantee
that a reply from a drive not supporting this command correctly isn't mistaken for a feature list.

An example feature list could be:
0xA55A, 0x5AA5, 0x0100, 0xF000, 0xF001, 0x0000

This list would indicate that the drive supports Unlock 1, Lock and Error Skip, as it can be seen
from the values defined below:

XBOX 360 related features..
0x0100 : The drive supports the unlock 1 state (xtreme)
0x0101 : The drive supports the unlock 2 state (wxripper)
0x0120 : The drive can read and decrypt the SS
0x0121 : The drive has full challenge response functionality

General drive features..
0xF000 : The drive supports the lock (cancel any unlock state) command
0xF001 : The drive supports error skipping

This is the complete list of defined features at the moment. If you're working on a custom application you might want to contact me in order to get the latest list.

Finally a big thanks must go Schtrom, Redline99 and the beta testers involved (you know who you are), for the last few weeks of intensive testing and bug reporting. I would also like to thank FlexyZ for helping me test the FW and for letting me borrow, destroy and finally repair his TS-H943 Wink. Without this kind of help this release wouldn't be possible.

To all you other guys working hard on making the 360 a little more user friendly - keep up the good work!

Let the fun begin!
Kreon

#3 roguetel

roguetel

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:13 AM

Wow,
Amazing work. pop.gif Now who can hook me up with one of these elusive drives! uhh.gif

I have about 10 DVD-ROM's laying around and none of them are a damn SH-D162..... grr.gif grr.gif grr.gif muhaha.gif jester.gif

#4 RiPpN-N-TrIppN

RiPpN-N-TrIppN

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 448 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:34 AM

Awsome work
and heres me thinking that the first version was perfect
nice work
Rip

#5 wak4

wak4

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 297 posts
  • Interests:Good Buyer/Seller : F9f9

Posted 05 October 2006 - 01:53 AM

"Added: A sense error 03/11/00 (Media Error - Read Error) will now be reported, if an unrecoverable read error occurs during SS extraction."

Hmm, I am currently using the 0.8 version... I don't have any problem backing any games. Is there any reason why I should upgrade?

BTW, great job kreon, without the possibility to back from the PC, I wouldn't have spent like 600$ biggrin.gif

Wak4

#6 MN-Mod-Man

MN-Mod-Man

X-S X-perience

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 455 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 02:12 AM

This is great work but DAMN is there any way to find one of these drives in the US for a decent price?

#7 ThE MaSTeR 3

ThE MaSTeR 3

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 625 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:26 AM

CloneCD is no longer recommended for burning, as some issues have been reported, that can cause a game to fail from booting.

Crap I've made 30 backups with clonecd. About 1 in 10 trys the game will fail to read when I first insert the disc but will always work the second time. I have never had an issue when Im actually playing a backup. So your saying if I switch to IMGBurn my backups will never fail to boot?

#8 DMAddict

DMAddict

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 678 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 October 2006 - 03:42 AM

This is the shit! Nice work Kreon.

#9 busbeepbeep

busbeepbeep

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:16 AM

thanks Kreon. we appreciate your hard work.

my recommendation for those looking for drives in the U.S...find someone with a Dell computer that is a year or two old, several of them came with the TSST ts-h352c dvd-rom. check the "for sale/trade" forums on computer hardware website for people parting out a dell machine (i found one in this manner for $20 shipped!)

#10 crasher0255

crasher0255

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 113 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:49 AM

Id say ebay would be a good place to look, i saw a bunch on there, some w/ the firmware already flashed onto em (but you would definatly be better off flashing it yourself if your comfortable with it, most of the prices preflashed were crazy). I searched for 'samsung d162' i believe or 'samsung 162'. I might pick one up for myself actually....Nice work there Kreon!!! Keep up the good work...

#11 RiPpN-N-TrIppN

RiPpN-N-TrIppN

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 448 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 04:52 AM

flashing these drives is nothing to worry about
its all done threw windows
open the program select the fw and hit go
takes like 1min then reboot

#12 bigghek

bigghek

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 05:41 AM

10 minutes? wow!!!!

#13 gascp

gascp

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:14 AM

Yes !!! proper xbox1 extraction !
Awesome from the first version
Kreon you are the MAN !!!
biggrin.gif

#14 letsmod

letsmod

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 424 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:20 AM

I know where to get the drives :~)

M$ has contacted the manufacturer and told them to know longer import these drives into the US and Canada, but I have a lead on 100 drives :~)

#15 HoRnEyDvL

HoRnEyDvL

Nexgen Developer

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 05 October 2006 - 06:23 AM

Cool will try this tonight with xbox back up creator see what i can came up with.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users