• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:09 AM

Real Arcade Controls for Xbox Live
Posted by XanTium | October 5 23:09 EST

From retroblast.com:

You Xbox 360 folks that have been trying to relive classic arcade games on Xbox Live with the poor substitute of a gamepad might just be in luck. We just got word that Ed Farias of Arcade-in-a-Box has created a controller for that system with real arcade controls and a sourced and modified Xbox gamepad.

Arcade-in-a-Box Xbox 360
Check out Ed's snappy handy work in the image above. The prototype you see pictured is a wired version based using a Mad Katz controller PCB. The unit can also be used on a PC using Windows XP.

Here's the rub, Ed's not sure he want's to create these as there is a good deal of time involved soldering the connections properly. His current thought is to sell it as a kit for home users to finish. I think there's a load of demad out there so prove Ed wrong. If you would be interested in a kit or in a completed controller, drop Ed a line at Arcade-in-a-Box and let him know.

The DIY tutorial (posted here long time ago already) is available on gamersreports.com and you can find another DIY build on arcadecontrols.com.
News-Source: retroblast.com

#2 DoTsTeR

DoTsTeR

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 116 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:07 AM

that's great and all, but what I want is an adapter that goes from xbox controller to 360 controller.. at least on some level

Why ? So I can actually use my custom arcade cabinet with the 360 without having to re-do the whole soldering/gamepad wires/buttons crap again... and still be able to use it with what it works with now... xbox and ps2

just don't feel like ripping it all apart when a damn adapter would be so much simpler... hell, there has got to be a way to do it.. I been waiting but it looks like it is never gonna happen

If I am wrong and anyone has seen an adapter like that please post so I know where to get em

Thx...

Chris Williams
www.Abay.com

Edited by DoTsTeR, 06 October 2006 - 04:08 AM.

#3 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 October 2006 - 04:55 AM

This is nice for the Street fighter arcade game on the xbox 360

#4 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:18 AM

really?

#5 ThaCrip

ThaCrip

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 06:20 AM

the "X-ARCADE" would be a better choice of arcade stick since i own one myself and there quality is great and they also have a "lifetime" warrenty so u KNOW your getting "quality" stuff... but as of now they dont make a adapter for the "x-arcade" for the xbox360 , but it does work on everyother system out there pretty much (pc/xbox/ps/ps2/gamecube/dreamcast) ... only bad thing is cost as it's 130 dollars for the basic unit and adapters are 19.99 each, but u can get one free with your purchase of the x-arcade stick... the x-arcade stick i have is 2 player ... but they make one player units but your better off just buying the 2 player unit since it aint much more in cost (130 vs 100) and the 2 player one comes with free shipping right now to... the single joystick is 10 dollar shipping.

but eventually they should have a adapter for the xbox360 and all will be good wink.gif

p.s. it works great for old classic games like mortal kombat on the PC using MAME wink.gif

#6 Archalien

Archalien

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:14 AM

Sorry guys but garbeezie.....

If you wanna see some real quality sticks check this thread here. Super customs... on all 3 pages!

This site here. High End!!!

Or also on these boards.

#7 pdottz

pdottz

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 757 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 09:04 AM

QUOTE(Archalien @ Oct 6 2006, 07:21 AM) View Post

Sorry guys but garbeezie.....
If you wanna see some real quality sticks check this thread here. Super customs... on all 3 pages!

This site here. High End!!!

Or also on these boards.

i agree, this is not news worthy.

if you want to check out some awesome sticks, then check out the byrdo page (archalien just posted it) and the srk forums . http://shoryuken.com. specifically the techtalk forums.

#8 jonny_eh

jonny_eh

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 100 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 06 October 2006 - 12:51 PM

What about those doa4 arcade sticks? Do they suck or something? Why not just get those.

#9 ThaCrip

ThaCrip

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,463 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 02:01 PM

i checked that site archalien said to check... those stick "look" nice but there prices are roughly double what the x-arcade costs and they dont have a lifetime warrenty plus there only single sticks not double like the x-arcade is ... so if your conserned with bang for the buck (with great quality) u cant be the x-arcade sticks... but for those who only want "look" then going with that site archalien recommended cant be bad wink.gif

also for those who are wondering about getting those "cheap" crap (50 dollars or so area) u can buy at your local store... dont bother they wont last! ... if your serious about getting a quality arcade stick im SURE u wont be disapointed getting a x-arcade stick.

Edited by ThaCrip, 06 October 2006 - 02:04 PM.

#10 tNCecil

tNCecil

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 503 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 03:09 PM

X-arcade sticks are horrible. Why not spend the 15 bucks (plus a 360 controller) on the real parts, instead of paying a rediculous amount for it. Im not that great at soldering, but even I can do it lol

#11 GiveItUp4VOS

GiveItUp4VOS

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:00 PM

Make me a wireless version and I'm sold.

#12 xboxuser5

xboxuser5

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 286 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:11 PM

I had already made a post on these to see if people had an interest becuase I am going to build a few in both wireless and hardwired and I am sure ultimarc is working on a 360 adapter as we speak but in my opion my controller board/box is much sharper looking then that I use the chrome T-molding and 3/4" board with formica cut with a router trim bit and use happ control's same as hot rod but the hotrod or X-arcade joy's and button's are the cheapest happ make's and I tend to use there better quility one's.

Edited by xboxuser5, 06 October 2006 - 05:27 PM.

#13 drewstylz

drewstylz

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 05:31 PM

I wanted to post something about the SRK sticks but it looks like someone already beat me to it. Not to knock on Ed, it looks like he put some quality craftsmanship into the stick and he must know what he's doing (or maybe he's just resourceful) to hack a pad, but the design far outdated to what's been being built for the past 2 years at least.

#14 ArcadEd

ArcadEd

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 06 October 2006 - 07:08 PM

I just wanted to pop in and thank Xbox-Scene for posting the new story. I never actually expected it to get here once it was posted at Retroblast.

Anyway, I'm still unsure if we will continue to make these. I might do a run of 5 or 10 and see how well they sell. As I have mentioned to many in emails, the price is probably going to be in the 200 dollar range. I know it's steep, which is why I have be reluctant to offer them at all.

A lot of the cost is labor. As you might have seen, these controllers are not our main business. As the holidays pick up, our labor time gets more valuable as we build our Jamma and Arcade boxes for customers. I hope you don't mind my honesty, but that's just how it is smile.gif.

I did the prototype to get a feel for the market, and I see that there is room for something like this. I encourage anyone that wants to do it themselves and sell them, to go for it. I think you can do pretty well. I'll mention a few of the short comings if you do attempt to make a business out of this.

1. There is a security chip on 360 controllers. Only Microsoft and select 3rd party manufacturers can make controllers for the 360 because of this. This is why we hack a gamepad. Don't expect anything from Ultimarc or X-Arcade anytime soon.

2. The official live headset that comes with the 360 is a pain in the butt. It will be very difficult to get it working on an arcade stick. The best option I have found is to use a non official headset.

3. Make sure you wire up a guide button so you can connect the controller to the 360. I don't believe the 360 auto detects a controller plugged it, but you need to hold down the guide button to get it connected (I could be wrong on this). But, it also means you can swap games and shutoff the console from the arcade stick, and it's a nice selling feature smile.gif.

I'd be more than happy to answer any questions in here or via email.

Ed
http://www.arcadeinabox.com

Edited by ArcadEd, 06 October 2006 - 07:10 PM.

#15 chuckthefuk

chuckthefuk

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts
  • Interests:Ripping off M$ since 1988

Posted 07 October 2006 - 02:51 AM

QUOTE(XS Filter - 043008 @ Oct 6 2006, 12:02 AM) View Post

This is nice for the Street fighter arcade game on the xbox 360