Photo

How Well Do Princos Dvd-r Work On Thomson Drives?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Def

Def

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 250 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 03:35 AM

Princo DVD-R works awesome on my Phillips but was wondering how well does it work with Thomsons? If not well, which generic brand does?

#2 Dark Schneider

Dark Schneider

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 04:45 AM

Damn you took the words right out of my mouth. I'm expecting my A04 burner soon myself, and have a Thompson drive. I have some Princo discs that I got from Shop4tech.com which were listed under a "LEDA" brand name, so I'll know by Tuesday or such whether these work or not.

If anyone else has something to chime in, please do!

#3 shinkansen

shinkansen

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 05:14 AM

Well, I can tell you that Princo DVDR works on my Xbox's Thompson drive.
But I won't say that it works perfectly. I get bad frame skips on Silent Hill 2. Jedi Starfighter-somewhat... But not so bad. Halo- hardly any skip. May be loading into new zones. A half sec freeze or less... I am looking for the best media for my drive... So other people with same experience please post theirs. Thanks

Burned at 1X with PrimoDVD, DVR-A03, DAO, no making image, and UDF with Joliet.

#4 plehem12

plehem12

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 15 September 2002 - 05:55 AM

my Princo DVD-R has worked perfect EVERY time on over 70 games and about 10 movies on my thompson drive. i burn with RecordNow DX in UDF mode. i am hella happy with them so far. i have yet to get a bad disc. hopefully they work with you guys also.

#5 lukecalypso

lukecalypso

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 08:14 AM

Hi,

it depends: 20 games without any trouble ( only few motor bzzzz), movies sometimes hang on for 1 second..according to me for not perfect media surface wink.gif .

Byez
Lukez

#6 shinkansen

shinkansen

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 142 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 05:56 PM

I get chirping noises with them. I am gonna try Ritek brand. See how they perform

#7 plehem12

plehem12

X-S Enthusiast

• XS-BANNED
  • 0 posts
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 15 September 2002 - 08:37 PM

am i the only person who likes princo? everyone seems to have trouble with them except for me.

#8 Tribal Prophet

Tribal Prophet

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 15 September 2002 - 11:09 PM

I have a couple of each kind of drive and I think that Princo's are great. The problems that some people have said (like Halo needing a half second to load at a checkpoint) happen to me when playing off the HDD too, so I don't think the media is the reason why. Defiantely the most stable brand that I've used (and at $2.50 each Canadian, the best price too).

I've got an A04 burner too, which burns great using Prassi's program (but be sure to get that update file from them or the program won't recognize your A04 as existing).

Tribal Prophet

#9 wiseblood

wiseblood

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 10:44 AM

Tribal Prophet,
Where do you get them for $2.50 Canadian?
Please tell me, pretty plz? unsure.gif

#10 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 02:46 PM

laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Do a search and you'll find them for $0.89 each. I just received 300 of them.

#11 DaGamePimp

DaGamePimp

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 September 2002 - 10:26 PM

Princo's work fine here , tons of games burned and no issues [ be careful using them on the ps2 though - they can damage the laser ] .
-[DGP]-

#12 theferalmoon

theferalmoon

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 187 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 10:58 PM

In general I have had no problems with my A04 and Princo DVD-RW. I occasionally get a DVD-RW burned that looks like it is missing a chunk of the burn. Like a blank space. I also occasionally get that "chirping" noise someone referred to. Sort of like the laser is bouncing around. A clicking noise. Whenever this happens, I immediately eject the DVD-RW to avoid any damage. I can usually do an erase on the bad burns and burn them again. I have had a few where the bad burn renders the DVD-RW useless. The burner couldn't recognize the DVD-RW to be able to erase it.

I must also note that I have put the A04 in a Firewire external enclosure. It is very possible that my occasional (And I mean MAYBE 1 out of 10) problems are caused by the enclosure setup. Other than these few problems, the Princos work great.

Princo DVD-RW

I have seen them a bit cheaper, but I know this place is reliable, and the merchandise worked. I have ordered twice now from them.

If you a-holes buy them out, I will hunt you down. wink.gif

#13 Dark Schneider

Dark Schneider

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,530 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 11:09 PM

Princo's are working great for me! biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users