MikeFez

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:43 AM

I'm going to buy these pads, but I need to know if there is a way to solder them to the left thumbstick of an xbox controller. I'm doing this for a casemod project, but yea. If I desolder the stick, can I solder the pad in place?

Edited by MikeFez, 07 October 2006 - 06:44 AM.

#2 Dracc

Dracc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 October 2006 - 12:02 PM

Heh... trying for a more realistic halo experience? If you do figure it out, share... I have a bunch of DDR pads and old controllers.... I might want to try as well.

#3 MikeFez

MikeFez

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 03:54 PM

QUOTE(Dracc @ Oct 7 2006, 12:09 PM) View Post

Heh... trying for a more realistic halo experience? If you do figure it out, share... I have a bunch of DDR pads and old controllers.... I might want to try as well.

You hit it spot on. I'm planning to do a more organized VR mod, so everything is controlled by motion.

#4 classicsat

classicsat

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Interests:Technical stuff, not much of a gamer, and if that, more non-combative simulations thant anything.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 October 2006 - 06:41 PM

Rather than a DDR pad (unless you have one), I'd make one platform that can tilt any way from a central pivot point, and somehow couple the X/Y pivoting each to a potentionometer.

#5 MikeFez

MikeFez

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 07 October 2006 - 07:17 PM

Hehe I just bought one, but I already have thought of the tilting thing and it really didnt sound like a great idea. I mean, the thing wont be mobile, its going to be tilting everywhere, and its going to be really difficult to make. BUt I guess i'l do it if the DDR pad wont work. I just need to hear from someone who's taken one apart if there is any way to wire it to a control stick. Anothor idea would be to wire it to the other controler's cord and have both of them read through the same port, because the ddr pad can only use the left stick anyways. I could then remove the left stick from the controller and it would be great. The only problem with that is that the controller is wireless, although If i'm going to put an lcd screen in i'll have to do the wire thing anyways. I'd just rather the wireless controller kinda be the "hub"

#6 classicsat

classicsat

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts
  • Interests:Technical stuff, not much of a gamer, and if that, more non-combative simulations thant anything.

Posted 08 October 2006 - 03:26 PM

You could, but it would take electronics, or even a microcontroller.

You could search up Atari to PC joystick mod.

I came up with (and built):

http://www.epanorama...ri_pc_converter

Which I think can be adapted to the Xbox controller.

#7 MikeFez

MikeFez

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 05:27 PM

I'll look into it, thanks

#8 MikeFez

MikeFez

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 08 October 2006 - 11:56 PM

I made some progress:

I attached the control stick to an old bb gun for now, untill I find the paintball gun case:
IPB Image

Blurry Picture of the control stick:
IPB Image

Picture of Controller:
IPB Image

Area around the control stick:
IPB Image

Another picture:
IPB Image

Now, I've already soldered the wires to the correct spots, but I was having an error- The charater looks down automatically. I dont know whats wrong by looking, if anyone can tell me that would be awsome. I know it has to do with the 3 prongs on the right, those are the ones that control up/down directions.

Once that is fixed, all I have to do is add a weight, and wait for the DDR pad. If worse comes to worse, I'll to the tipping platform idea, although that sounds like a trip to hell and back.

Edited by MikeFez, 09 October 2006 - 12:03 AM.

#9 crzyimage

crzyimage

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding, Computers

Posted 09 October 2006 - 12:18 AM

would have been a smarter idea to buy a light gun which with a little modding will work with Halo. and the ddr pad is alot easier to do if you open up the ddr pad and peek in to find out what wires are soldered to what. that controller looks like it went through hell, how did you desolder it. it looks terrible

#10 MikeFez

MikeFez

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:19 AM

Haha, i didnt. I just pulled off the stick. I know i shouldnt have, but then again I needed to buy a new controller for it anyways. So you say a light gun would work? Can you explain a bit, the ddr pad is comming and I can get a gun at the same time.

#11 MikeFez

MikeFez

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 01:45 AM

Shit sorry I dont know why but It quoted myself

Edited by MikeFez, 09 October 2006 - 01:53 AM.

#12 classicsat

classicsat

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 497 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 04:56 PM

You do know the stick is analog, correct?

#13 MikeFez

MikeFez

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:19 PM

I'm not really sure what that is supposed to mean, but crzy if you can see this, what do you mean, what will the lightgun do. Can you pass a link my way? Are you talking about that mod the guy did to turn it into his mouse?

#14 crzyimage

crzyimage

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 487 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding, Computers

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:08 AM

the light gun is designed to use a thumb analog stick to control direction and if you lean the tip of the gin to the left or right it will turn the halo char left or right. Ive seen it done before but the guy had a modded halo version that supported the light gun, with the ddr pad soldered in place of the analog stick you could walk around to control your forward, reverse, left, right, diag. he used the madcats green light gun, he could throw grenades, use the flash light, reload ect.

#15 MikeFez

MikeFez

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 244 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:01 AM

QUOTE(crzyimage @ Oct 10 2006, 12:15 AM) View Post

the light gun is designed to use a thumb analog stick to control direction and if you lean the tip of the gin to the left or right it will turn the halo char left or right. Ive seen it done before but the guy had a modded halo version that supported the light gun, with the ddr pad soldered in place of the analog stick you could walk around to control your forward, reverse, left, right, diag. he used the madcats green light gun, he could throw grenades, use the flash light, reload ect.

Thats so perfect, I'll definetly look into it. Do you have a link? I'm going to search for it, but a link would be helpful.

Edit- I also assume you are talking about these guns?

Edited by MikeFez, 10 October 2006 - 01:17 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users