Photo

Have You Modified Your Xbox 360's Dvd Firmware?

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

Poll: Have you modified your Xbox 360's DVD firmware?

Have you modified your Xbox 360's DVD firmware?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#211 FV-Swarm

FV-Swarm

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:30 PM

Hmm I can give you 1 semi legit reson for backups. I have 4 kids and 3 360's all of which I pay for gold live accounts. And all of which I have paid for expansions packs and such over live. I don't see any multi site liscence agreements going on for game software and microsoft is smoking crack if they think I'm buying 3 copies of every game we play together over system link or live. Now I know the purists here are going to jump on me and say will hell if you got the dough to buy 3 360's you should be able to buy 3 copies of every game. Most people never buy more than 10 to20 games for a machine over the entire life of a system. I already own 14 originals so I've more than plunked down my fair share of dough on the games. To top it off I pay for a double unlimited game rental at blockbuster so that at any point in time I can have 2 games checked out so I'm paying them too. Between games and Premium boxes and extra controller I figure Microsoft has got me for well over 3000 grand so far. Their system rocks I'd promote it to anyone and everyone I talk to and have. Over 8 people that I know have bought them on my feedback alone. I go out and buy the games that I think are premo like Gears and COD2,3 etc. And you know what I don't feel the least bit bad about my modded 360's.

#212 seanp2500

seanp2500

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:19 PM

wow great thread!! just wanted to add my two cents on the matter. I think the endless firmware hacks are interesting, but I just havent seen a cool one yet. I want homebrew and ability to upgrade hd. I bought my xbox 360 day one and guess what? other than a handful of games I have been dissappointed. Online play great. achievement system great. Just not enough good games though I look forward to Gears of War! And I will actually buy it. Now the thing I wanted to discuss is yes def bigup to the xna thing. I read about it and it does look pretty cool and promising. Additionally I have been playing alot on my xbox these days. Between Znesbox, Xmugen, and the new media center 2.0 It is really getting some use. I was excited by the new version of mugen called infinity cat that has been released and can't wait for a 360 port through xna. Now that would def be exciting homebrew. To be honest the dearth of qualtiy 360 games kinda makes pirating pointless since I usually buy the games I like to support the developers and well to get the nice manual packaging etc...though I will say that is rare. I understand the multiple disc copy thing for uh power users and that is cool i am not hating. But otherwise I dont see any reason to invest in the equipment/time needed to do the available mods. Additionally I still think the modding is in the wrong directions with hacking the dvd player code/firmware and hope that someone out there figures out an easier better and less intrusive way. WOOT!

#213 Magrep

Magrep

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 07:04 PM

I don't want to "rent" anything from M$.
I have a ton of backed up discs and I have the orginals for any that I actually play. I have a LOT of money invested in DVD's and I would just as soon not use the orginals.
My time is worth something and I don't want to spend it hunting down a new copy of something that got scratched. Besides the games aren't available forever in the stores and buying used can be as bad as scratchin yer own.

I'm waiting for a modchip that can run my 360 in the stealth mode then I'm going on XBL with it.. Till then I run my old modded box in stealth mode on XBL. I can wait.

The more punitive and restrictive M$ gets the less likely it is that I'll spend money with them in the future. I vote with my money. Piss me off enough and I will spend my money on something else.

MODDING FOREVER

#214 x64_02

x64_02

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 07:10 AM

Waiting for XBMC360 myself. Because I only connect to live for the codec updates/ HD trailers. With services like Gamefly and Blockbusters on every corner, this modification isn't necessary.

See alot of posts about how it isn't dangerous to hack firmwares because they work fine now. Does noone remember what happened to Directv boxes a couple of years ago? Minor updates in a periodic fashion which ultimately formed a larger program which killed hacked machines. Just because they work with XBL now, doesn't mean anything. There was a post in the news section earlier about how if Microsoft is smart, they are just letting everyone log in and recording IP addresses and the like. Microsoft can fry as many machines as they want and promise fixes to anyone who brings their machines to a store or sends them in for repair knowing that anyone who has opened the machine if F#$@ed. Modified firmware boxes' days could already be numbered with this fall, and previous, updates.

Modifying an x360 and logging on to a MS server without any protection is falacious. Perhaps MS's new strategy to defeat the PS3 in sales is to sale many of their machines twice.

#215 crownvic420

crownvic420

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 13 November 2006 - 05:39 AM

i just got the firmware mod done, live works fine, got the fall dash update worked fine. i had about 10 games i bought i wanna back up, just because they get beat up around here, so i think its worth it, dont know if i should keep originals or trade in.

#216 TomzUK

TomzUK

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts
  • Interests:Sports, Partying, Gaming.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:19 AM

All in good time. biggrin.gif

#217 cryptyk

cryptyk

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 04:29 PM

I have some questions:
It sounds like you can play backed up games on XBL?
Does that mean you can modify the game, burn it, and play a hacked version on XBL?
Has anyone ever been banned from modded firmware on a 360?
When you get banned what happens to your subscription?

Just trying to decide if this is worth the trouble.

#218 DarthVega7

DarthVega7

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 15 November 2006 - 12:07 AM

you misspelled lose...

#219 NOTAHEADMOD

NOTAHEADMOD

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:25 AM

Dont want to mod it. Theres no need to YET

#220 jagermike

jagermike

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 04:04 PM

waiting for a better modchip

#221 gordita37

gordita37

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,301 posts
  • Interests:KoRn
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 27 January 2007 - 09:04 PM

QUOTE(cryptyk @ Nov 14 2006, 05:36 PM) View Post

I have some questions:
It sounds like you can play backed up games on XBL?
Does that mean you can modify the game, burn it, and play a hacked version on XBL?
Has anyone ever been banned from modded firmware on a 360?
When you get banned what happens to your subscription?

Just trying to decide if this is worth the trouble.

you cant modify 360 games, that would break the signature

#222 MiamiBiker305

MiamiBiker305

X-S Senior Member

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPip
  • 277 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 26 September 2008 - 10:35 PM

I Haven't decided Yet. I Want Home brew, But Live is something i would like to keep alive. I might just need to buy another xbox 360 then i'll be good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users