Photo

Have You Modified Your Xbox 360's Dvd Firmware?

• Please log in to reply
221 replies to this topic

Poll: Have you modified your Xbox 360's DVD firmware?

Have you modified your Xbox 360's DVD firmware?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#31 Ozy

Ozy

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • Interests:Gamming,<br />Women,<br />Films,<br />Fine Food,<br />Drinking With My Mates<br /> - Not In That Order.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:30 PM

QUOTE(Sinner666 @ Oct 9 2006, 06:11 PM) View Post

If you make a backup of a $15-$20 item that is ok? but a backup of $60 item is not?

As for backing up to the hard drive that is a must for someone who travels with their box. A friend had his luggage lost. $200 (XBox1) console and another $300 of games, ouch.

Because backing up DVDs and CDs can be done without hacking anything. To back up a game for the xbox 360 you have to go to a lot of trouble and for what? Making sure your games don't get sractched? What I'm saying is the games are abundant and are plentiful in supply where as some DVDs of Cds could be hard to come by.

Why would you need to back up the x360 games. Sure some may need to but most people who voted in this pole don't own the games.

As for backing up on a HD, I can respect that. It certainly improved some games e.g kotor, halo and gta with faster loading times.

#32 JustDanMI

JustDanMI

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 665 posts
  • Interests:outdoors and gaming
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:31 PM

I really don't see a need to mod my box until we can install our own HDD to the size of our choice and then install some homebrew on it. 20 gig is just not enough to do ANYTHING on. And the faster load times with games on the HDD is a HUGE bonus.

And on a side note to the comment above, just because it's easier to back up a CD or DVD doesn't mean it's any more right or justified. It's just as wrong as doing a console game as doing a cd, no matter how rare it is.

Edited by JustDanMI, 09 October 2006 - 06:36 PM.

#33 chadclassof2006

chadclassof2006

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 06:33 PM

I would love to backup my xbox 360 games and use the firmware but my big problem is how to get a hold of the firmware itself along with a good clear crisp instructions so i dont f#@%! something up when im changing the firmware. Anyone here can help me find these things, it would be really, really, helpful.

#34 Odium X

Odium X

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.5

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:01 PM

No homebrew no need for the hack, I love playing XBL so its not worth the risk.
Developers should get paid for the game they make.

#35 esdubu

esdubu

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 313 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:04 PM

I've flashed my firmware, just to see if i could do it when i was bored. I do a lot of modchips and softmods on xbox 1 for people and it was getting boring doing the same thing over and over again. Now i've done it i'm flashing it back to original as there's no point for me till XBMC 360!

#36 nortnil

nortnil

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 255 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:14 PM

I thought it was possible to back up games and still use XBL so long as you use a modchip that you can disable like on the original xbox? Or do you mean that you cannot play backups on live?

Edited by nortnil, 09 October 2006 - 07:14 PM.

#37 Ozy

Ozy

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,794 posts
  • Interests:Gamming,<br />Women,<br />Films,<br />Fine Food,<br />Drinking With My Mates<br /> - Not In That Order.

Posted 09 October 2006 - 07:44 PM

QUOTE(JustDanMI @ Oct 9 2006, 06:38 PM) View Post

I really don't see a need to mod my box until we can install our own HDD to the size of our choice and then install some homebrew on it. 20 gig is just not enough to do ANYTHING on. And the faster load times with games on the HDD is a HUGE bonus.

And on a side note to the comment above, just because it's easier to back up a CD or DVD doesn't mean it's any more right or justified. It's just as wrong as doing a console game as doing a cd, no matter how rare it is.

But CDs, if you own them, I can see an advantage. Are you going to buy the same CD so many times, one for your living room, one for your car, one for your kitchen, one for your garage etc.

DVDs the same but not as important, perhaps in a big house, one for upstairs one for downstairs or perhaps for a portable DVD play in the Car.

But console games, seriously, what do people need back ups for, how many x360s do they have? And for those apart from the ones who have small children (or dogs, cats or other hazards) in their house should know how to look after their discs unless they are retarded (in which case backups maybe of use).

#38 WickedDevils

WickedDevils

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 48 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:17 PM

How come people think they can't go onto live if they have modified firmware? Did something happen over the weekend that I didn't know about?

My 360 has a modified firwmare. Why do you say I do that? I have bought too many crappy games that the developers and the companies have no business receiving money for. Do I go on continue playing them? Only once I have purchased them. I have bought 3 games in the last month. I have 2 more which I plan on buying.

If and when M$ blocks the firmware then I will have to make a choice at that point. But my hard earned money shouldn't go towards people who make a game simply for the $$ (many magazine articles on this one).

The ones you should be venting towards are the nut heads who sell them....

#39 gli7ch

gli7ch

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 254 posts
  • Interests:Guns, Girls, Cars and Computers
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 09 October 2006 - 09:35 PM

DVD Firmware works great for me only with Xbox one backups, haven't got a 360 backup to work due to lack of Dual Layers.

Edited by gli7ch, 09 October 2006 - 09:36 PM.

#40 avatar1976

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 149 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:36 PM

Personally I hate what xbox-scene has become, 90% of the news articles posted now are about firmware hacking. I hate what image this paints the xbox-scene subscribers as, this site used to be about homebrew now it seems to be about how to pirate games. I work in government and naturally my employer takes a very dim view to sites advocating piracy, I wonder how long it will be before my employer blocks the xbox-scene site all together. I really think there needs to be a new site set up for this firmware hacking cr@p.
From such lofty heights xbox-scene has come down to nothing but an underground piracy site...
mad.gif

Edited by avatar1976, 09 October 2006 - 11:37 PM.

#41 henmill

henmill

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Interests:computers, video games, modding, general electronics

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:57 PM

not interested in the "backup" scene. still holding out for homebrew, and if you just HAVE to mod your 360 somehow, cut a window and toss in some leds and you got yourself a modded 360.

#42 Sephious

Sephious

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 09 October 2006 - 11:59 PM

QUOTE(Kamakazie @ Oct 8 2006, 11:21 PM) View Post

I am not going to risk losing XBL.

You do not get banned for using backups online, I have been doing it for quite a while now

#43 jabski

jabski

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 128 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:23 AM

QUOTE(gli7ch @ Oct 9 2006, 09:42 PM) View Post

DVD Firmware works great for me only with Xbox one backups, haven't got a 360 backup to work due to lack of Dual Layers.

I thought xbox1 back-ups need to be on dual layer aswell to work on xbox360 ??? huh.gif

Edited by jabski, 10 October 2006 - 12:23 AM.

#44 Ninja Sniper X

Ninja Sniper X

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:02 AM

Once 360's drop in price or a nice LE version comes out i'll be buying a second one and modding the one I have now with whatever's out at the time. Untill then I dont want to risk loosing XBL

#45 shotgunsteve

shotgunsteve

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 153 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 01:12 AM

Yeah they should have a category for people like me who will do the firmware hack for the hitachi when full firmware and media stealth have been released. XBL is amazing and i don't want to risk doing the hack until i can be sure microsoft can't detect it. Or a category should be made for people planing on doing the hack in the furure. biggrin.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users