Antman1

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 10 October 2006 - 12:19 PM

I was thinking of doing the 128mb ram upgrade and have been reading through all the posts and everything and I want to use the extra ram for emulation and such but I dont want to have to change or patch my retail games. I saw on one post a person could not get his originals to work and a person replied that he had to patch the game with ramdelimit and it would work and it did. is this the case? I know this has probably been answered before but I am getting mixed posts and such. I am trying to do my homework before doing this because it would really benifit for those N64 games that are choppy and some others that dont load. I successfully removed the RAM from an old 1.3 board with no probs and RAM is intact just wanna be careful and do my homework on it. Any help or suggestions are much appreciated.

#2 Perplexer

Perplexer

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Interests:Fish with big teeth
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 October 2006 - 02:43 PM

No need to patch your homebrew apps and emulators; they will already see the 128MB.

Your originals will still play fine. They will use 64MB and play just like on any other Xbox. You might see some benefits from patching them, but it is not necessary.

#3 Antman1

Antman1

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 04:01 PM

thanks Perplexer. From what I understand your the man on this. If ya have any tips let me know. I plan to do this today when I get off from work. I figure flux on the pin of the chip (a little) and flux on the board and then line it all up then patiently do each pin and use a razor inbetween each pin to make sure not shorting and testing to see if any are loose. I feel confident in my solder skills. I've soldered many many things but all these people posting there problems has me a little nervouse but I figure the people that did it right prolly wont post and show. I was looking in all the posts and only found 1 that posted pics of what they had done and I looked at the video on youtube as well and it give me ideas too. the video on removal of the chips on youtube was very nice it was simple to remove the chips from the bad board and as a matter of fact the board now looks like it never had the ram on it. I was patting myself on the back on that one.

#4 Perplexer

Perplexer

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Interests:Fish with big teeth
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:36 PM

Good luck, it sounds like you've done your homework! Let us know how it turns out!

#5 Rockade

Rockade

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 01:35 AM

Ugh... removing the RAM is easy enough... as long as you don't break any pins.... but putting it on the board sucks. If there is even a slight bridge, the xbox will refuse to work. I tried and tried to find my screw-up, but ended up just removing the RAM back to stock..... I had a Debug box I wanted 128 for

#6 Antman1

Antman1

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,227 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 02:24 AM

lol.. quick update. I did just that. it had a bridge and my son started crying when I kept trying to fix it so I gave up removed the chips and cleared up the solder and back to stock again. Maybe some other day i will try but it was good to try than not to have ever tried before. Thanks Perplexor for the help to.

#7 A@ron

A@ron

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:08 AM

yeah bridges are a pain. best thing for em is a little soldering braid, flux and reheat.

#8 Rockade

Rockade

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 03:14 AM

Yeah I'm thinking that since the pads are now clear of the solder it came with, it may be easier to steer clear of a bridge... I really want my debug/emulator box

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users