ltd

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:22 PM

I posted this thread in newbie chat but couldn't get all the answers to my questions.......

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=552942

I've modded 5 xbox's, all done via TSOP flashing, I really don't want to add hardware (modchip) but will do so as a last resort or temporarily.

How can I tell if I'm wasting my time w/ this stock HD, I dont know if it's any good or not. I'm not 100% clear on the relationship between the HD & EEPROM for locking/unlocking.

If I do chip it, would I be able to flash the TSOP, then remove the chip? I was thinking I could install a chip, repair the HD (if it's repairable), remove chip to restore to original state, then proceed w/ the TSOP flash......am I way off here?

tia!

#2 caster420

caster420

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 October 2006 - 07:58 PM

QUOTE(ltd @ Oct 10 2006, 03:29 PM) View Post
I posted this thread in newbie chat but couldn't get all the answers to my questions.......

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=552942

I've modded 5 xbox's, all done via TSOP flashing, I really don't want to add hardware (modchip) but will do so as a last resort or temporarily.

How can I tell if I'm wasting my time w/ this stock HD, I dont know if it's any good or not. I'm not 100% clear on the relationship between the HD & EEPROM for locking/unlocking.

If I do chip it, would I be able to flash the TSOP, then remove the chip? I was thinking I could install a chip, repair the HD (if it's repairable), remove chip to restore to original state, then proceed w/ the TSOP flash......am I way off here?

tia!

Yes, you could install a chip and determine if it is your hdd that is fubared. If so, replace the hdd, format, reinstall dash, etc.., copy your gamesave over or exploit of your choosing, lock your new hdd and boot with the chip off (or take it out). Flash the tsop as normal and you're done.

If you have another modded xbox, you could also desolder your eeprom out of non-working box, resolder it into the modded and boot with that the non-working hdd in it. If it works and it is locked, then your hdd isnt your problem. If it works and its unlocked, then lock it and swap back (if you really like). If it doesnt work, then the hdd is your problem. Get a new one, lock it with the eeprom and you're set. The reason i say "if you really like" is that if you have a modded xbox, you can lock the hdd before you remove the hdd/eeprom from that box and just put it in the non-working xbox. As long as your dash files are correct, it should boot in the non-working xbox no problem (assuming it is your hdd that is causing the problem).

If you're no good at soldering, do even consider the above paragraph.

Sorry if that didnt come out that clear...

Caster.

Edited by caster420, 10 October 2006 - 08:02 PM.

#3 ltd

ltd

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 10 October 2006 - 11:08 PM

very interesting......thanks caster for the excellent reply. It was clearer the 2nd time I read it, lol. Well, I'm no expert solderer, but once I found the eeprom, looks like it shouldn't be too difficult. I'm much better soldering than de-soldering, I dont even have a solder sucker, but I will tomorrow. Do they make a special tool to grab the chip or is needle nose pliers just fine?

as stated in the other thread, chipping it would be much easier, but this sounds much more fun.

thanks again

#4 caster420

caster420

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 11 October 2006 - 12:24 AM

Yes, i agree - why take the easy way out!

I use desoldering braid with some flux on it and remove majority of the solder from each leg. Then i go back and do it again, until as much as the solder is gone. THen i heat each leg and pry easily while doing so. Comes off pretty easy. Just dont rush or hold your iron to the board for too long. Worse case, you solder the legs back up and leave it be.

I wouldnt use needle nose pliers but eye brow pluckers (what ever the fuck they're called) to grab and pry easily.

Caster.

Edited by caster420, 11 October 2006 - 12:25 AM.

#5 ltd

ltd

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:15 AM

ok, I removed the eeprom from both the modded & unmodded xbox's, surprisingly w/o any appearent damage....it was a bit harder then I thought it would be.

I took the eeprom & HD from the unmodded xbox, & installed into the modded xbox. On boot, I get the "ooops, something is wrong" message w/ an error code of 13, dashboard could not be launched.

I rebooted w/ a slayers boot disk, and did a retail HD rebuild, but I still cannot get the MS dash, it keeps going to the error screen. So I assume the HD is unlocking since I'm not getting an error code of 06.

I could just replace the HD & go on, but I'm wondering what will happen back on the unmodded xbox. If I install the eeprom & HD from the original modded box, since the bios is still stock, will it boot? I am using xbmc as the dash on that HD.

thanks!

#6 caster420

caster420

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 02:22 AM

If you had your hdd locked and the original dash on the modded hdd, then it should boot no problems. Then you could flash it and have to modded boxes ready to go.

Caster.

Edited by caster420, 12 October 2006 - 02:25 AM.

#7 FallsInc

FallsInc

X-S Hacker

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,280 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:none

Posted 12 October 2006 - 11:33 AM

error 6 is can't unlock HD. you need to put the other HD in. either that, or you installed the original eeprom back into the box again. i would just chip it.

if you like, i can replace the HD for you.

#8 ltd

ltd

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 03:18 PM

QUOTE(FallsInc @ Oct 12 2006, 06:40 AM) View Post

error 6 is can't unlock HD. you need to put the other HD in. either that, or you installed the original eeprom back into the box again. i would just chip it.

if you like, i can replace the HD for you.

if u read my statement, I said I was NOT getting an error 6, so the hdd must be unlocking. I am getting an error 13.

No, I did not install the wrong eeprom & NO I'm not gonna chip it....This is why I moved the discussion from newbie chat.....ppl like u that are closed minded.

Why the hell would I have you replace the HD?

Caster, I installed the eeprom & hdd from the original modded xbox into the non-modded xbox, booted into MS dash just fine. Soldered the enable points, then flashed the TSOP.....woohoo, success....WITHOUT A CHIP!!

I gotta 40gb hdd to replace the bad hdd on the error 13 xbox, so all is good.

Thanks alot for all your help Caster....I appreciate it!

#9 caster420

caster420

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts

Posted 12 October 2006 - 09:26 PM

No problem. I'm glad you didnt take the easy way out and you didnt fubar either mobo/eeprom.

Caster.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users