#151 efinidc

efinidc

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 19 January 2007 - 03:16 AM

Thanks for the reply frosty. I ordered a couple EL8102s. I'll update next week when the chips arrive.

#152 landstack

landstack

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:21 AM

efinidc: Yes, that circuit is exacly what you need to get rid of the sync pulse that your monitor is not liking. Just make sure you don't include the last 75ohm Rt resistor that's on that diagram (figure 2) since it is built in to the monitor. Looks like you shouldn't have any trouble, but let us know if you do.

frosty: sorry to harp on this, but I thought it would be nice to get rid of the green sync pulse since I pulled the sync's off of the GPU. I was studying the hex code of the bios change and the connexant datasheet, and couldn't find a common connection as to where the i2c commands are. Also, when/if I find them, can I add more hex commands to the file (increase file size), or will that screw things up? Anyway, can you just copy this line and edit it to show where an i2c write is, where the connexant chip's address is, and where any register values are? I would really appreciate it. Thanks again for the continuing support.

0C 00 48 80 80 80 01 98 E1 8C 00 00 46 0C 00 48 80 80 80 01 98 E1 21 00 00 46 0C 00 48 80 80 80 01 98 E1 21 00 00 46

#153 landstack

landstack

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 06:32 AM

dmx_wyrw: check your wiring, it sounds like you have your red and green lines swapped.

Edited by landstack, 22 January 2007 - 06:42 AM.

#154 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 07:20 AM

QUOTE(landstack @ Jan 21 2007, 11:28 PM) View Post

efinidc: Yes, that circuit is exacly what you need to get rid of the sync pulse that your monitor is not liking. Just make sure you don't include the last 75ohm Rt resistor that's on that diagram (figure 2) since it is built in to the monitor. Looks like you shouldn't have any trouble, but let us know if you do.

frosty: sorry to harp on this, but I thought it would be nice to get rid of the green sync pulse since I pulled the sync's off of the GPU. I was studying the hex code of the bios change and the connexant datasheet, and couldn't find a common connection as to where the i2c commands are. Also, when/if I find them, can I add more hex commands to the file (increase file size), or will that screw things up? Anyway, can you just copy this line and edit it to show where an i2c write is, where the connexant chip's address is, and where any register values are? I would really appreciate it. Thanks again for the continuing support.

0C 00 48 80 80 80 01 98 E1 8C 00 00 46 0C 00 48 80 80 80 01 98 E1 21 00 00 46 0C 00 48 80 80 80 01 98 E1 21 00 00 46

0C 00 48 80 80 80 01 98 E1 8C 00 00 46 - This hex code is for the 480p output.

0C 00 48 80 80 80 01 98 E1 21 00 00 46 - This hex code is for the 720p output.

0C 00 48 80 80 80 01 98 E1 21 00 00 46 - This hex code is for the 1080i output. (720p and 1080i initialize in the encoder the same way when VGA is being outputted.)

Honestly, most of my code is based upon dr_oldschool's and Masticism's work. dr_oldschool is the pioneer of VGA softmods, and Masticism is actually the REAL person who figured out how the registers work. (Masticism solved the 720p/1080i purple tint issue originally.)

If you compare my hex edits to the actual source code for NKPatcher v10-vga10, you will find that the registers in my patching program and the registers in NKPatcher v10-vga10 are exactly the same. The only difference is how they are being applied to each individual hacked BIOS. (NKPatcher was only meant for retail BIOSes, so it was incompatible with modchip BIOSes.)

NOTE: I also use a different method to force the GPU to output RGB, and that method is very similar to Yoshihiro's RGB code from 'back in the day', when VGA was just barely being introduced.

So basically what i'm saying is, most of my work is a compilation of all of the best work from others being put into an auto-patching application that searches and replaces the appropriate hex code within a given BIOS.

So, Masticism and dr_oldschool might be the better people to talk to as far as the details on the Conexant/Focus registers. happy.gif

QUOTE(dmx_wyrw @ Jan 18 2007, 06:43 PM) View Post

Hey frosty first thanks for the info and hardwork On VGA 4 the xbox.
Instead of green I get a slight pink tint i am using the X2 5030 bios it seems that the colors are correct only instead of a green tint on IGR i get pink

Interesting. I'm assuming though, that the colors are displaying properly otherwise though, right? Meaning, that the screen only turns pink when using IGR, right? If so, that is definately a new side-effect that I have not seen. happy.gif

Are you using the Focus encoder, or the Conexant encoder?

Edited by FrostyTheSnowman, 22 January 2007 - 07:21 AM.

#155 dokworm

dokworm

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 744 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 01:45 PM

Just a big thanks from me frosty!

Your patch finally got me to run VGA and the quality jump is truly awesome.

A lot of PAL games seem to still switch to green, and my old mameox does too, but a lot of my favourite games are just dandy and look great on my big monitor.

Thanks!

#156 landstack

landstack

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 22 January 2007 - 04:18 PM

Thanks frosty, I figured it out by looking at the nkpatcher source. The only bad thing is that I don't think I can write to register 0x28 on the connexant to disable sync generation. Oh well, at least I can play around with the registers that are available now. I suppose I can do the sync removal method by using a hardware circuit. BTW, have you ever heard that the sync pulses running from the GPU to the encoder are at double frequency? I read that on a forum and didn't know if it was true. Thanks again!

#157 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 24 January 2007 - 07:24 AM

QUOTE(landstack @ Jan 22 2007, 09:25 AM) View Post

Thanks frosty, I figured it out by looking at the nkpatcher source. The only bad thing is that I don't think I can write to register 0x28 on the connexant to disable sync generation. Oh well, at least I can play around with the registers that are available now. I suppose I can do the sync removal method by using a hardware circuit. BTW, have you ever heard that the sync pulses running from the GPU to the encoder are at double frequency? I read that on a forum and didn't know if it was true. Thanks again!

Yeah, I heard that too. (Although I have no personal experience with the GPU sync signals.) AFAIK, they do run at double-frequency, and they also run at a higher voltage too.

#158 dmx_wyrw

dmx_wyrw

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 53 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 25 January 2007 - 01:12 AM

QUOTE(FrostyTheSnowman @ Jan 22 2007, 01:27 AM) View Post

Are you using the Focus encoder, or the Conexant encoder?

I am using Conexant.
its the monitor that im using i think.
It may be on its last legs. However, when i tried to connect the same cable with the lm1881n chip to another moniter it just flashes on and off very fast -no video.

All of this aside it still seems to be working correctly.

1.0 xbox tsop flash X2 5035 bios.

#159 efinidc

efinidc

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 26 January 2007 - 02:15 PM

The EL8120s came in the mail today. They are surface mount and I decided to order dip adapters for them. Unfortunately they are very expensive. Obviously, I cannot fit the EL8120s and LM1881 inside the XBOX AVP head anymore, so I opted for a bread board in a small project box.

What is the significance of the 6.8K ohm 'pull-up' resister (RB) in figure 2 of the component application?

http://www.intersil....a/an/an9513.pdf

I see the arrow so it looks like it is a potentiometer. Lastly, for the green channel, can I directly pull that off the AVP pin or must it come off a pin of the 1881?

Thanks in advance.

#160 landstack

landstack

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 04:52 AM

QUOTE(efinidc @ Jan 26 2007, 02:22 PM) View Post

The EL8120s came in the mail today. They are surface mount and I decided to order dip adapters for them. Unfortunately they are very expensive. Obviously, I cannot fit the EL8120s and LM1881 inside the XBOX AVP head anymore, so I opted for a bread board in a small project box.

What is the significance of the 6.8K ohm 'pull-up' resister (RB) in figure 2 of the component application?

http://www.intersil....a/an/an9513.pdf

I see the arrow so it looks like it is a potentiometer. Lastly, for the green channel, can I directly pull that off the AVP pin or must it come off a pin of the 1881?

Thanks in advance.

Well, it is part of a divider that adds a DC component to the output. This must be done so that the output varies in the proper range (~0-0.7V) & -0.2V sync. They show it as a rheostat so you can adjust it to the proper level once the circuit is built. Basically, it's a manual clamping control. You would probably still get a picture without this voltage divider in place, but it would be extremely dark (crushed blacks). Since you'll be using this on just the Green channel, the picture would look purple.

You can pull the green channel directly off the AVP or off of the input to the LM1881--pin 2 (its the same node), it doesn't matter. Let me know how it works out.

Edited by landstack, 01 February 2007 - 04:59 AM.

#161 efinidc

efinidc

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 01 February 2007 - 07:58 AM

Landstack,

Thanks for the reply, that was the answer I was exactly looking for! biggrin.gif

The problem is exactly as you described. My screen does look purple and I thought I built the circuit incorrectly. I used a fixed resister at 6.8K ohm instead of a pot. I will go to Radio Shack this weekend and retry it again with a 10k pot.

#162 backup

backup

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 10:37 AM

QUOTE(efinidc @ Feb 1 2007, 08:05 AM) View Post

Landstack,

Thanks for the reply, that was the answer I was exactly looking for! biggrin.gif

My screen does look purple

Hi, excuse me for my english..i'm italian

this is my question: Is there a mode to running xbmc at 1280x1024 or 1024*768?

This resolution are optimal for pc monitors (i have samsung sm 930bf sog).

i ask this because in my xbox 1.1 (connexant),i build a vga cable and i using vga bios (ind bios vga bfm..) and when i set 720p resolution my screen does look purple!

I don't know if there is a new bios bfm that resolve this problem...any help?

#163 efinidc

efinidc

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts

Posted 03 February 2007 - 09:28 PM

I took off the fixed value 6.8k resister and replaced it with the 10k pot. I'm finally able to adjust my color properly. It isn't exactly purple but the colors look a little dark. I cannot seem to adjust the pot to get nice colors. I'm unsure wether it is the sync stripper or if my NEC multisync just wasn't so great to begin with. The contrast and brightness are properly adjust on the monitor as well. This in comparison to an Iiyama SOG and a Sony p1110 SOG.

In my locality, many individuals are selling used CRTs for rather low prices. I took the lazy and easy way out and bought a Dell Branded Sony Ultrascan p1110 for $30 USD. It is SOG and the colors are gorgeous with the vga bios and cable on the XBOX.

For the White tint issue presented by non SOG monitors, purchasing a second hand SOG monitor does not seem like such a ridiculous idea after all.( Provided, your locality has many available and at low prices.) Building the sync stripper was fun and challenging. However, in my opinion and situation, in the end, purchasing another monitor was the more feesible solution as CRTs are being sold for such low prices. All the small parts and shipping adds up! tongue.gif

Edited by efinidc, 03 February 2007 - 09:30 PM.

#164 biketuna

biketuna

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 10 posts

Posted 08 February 2007 - 04:35 PM

Do I need vga bios for component output?

Thanks

#165 Foe-hammer

Foe-hammer

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,416 posts
  • Interests:Hunting, fishing, body building, video games

Posted 16 February 2007 - 06:16 PM

QUOTE(biketuna @ Feb 8 2007, 08:42 AM) View Post

Do I need vga bios for component output?

Thanks

Are you serious? Are component and vga the same thing? The word 'VGA' is used in vga bios for a reason.

Edited by Foe-hammer, 16 February 2007 - 06:17 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users