• Please log in to reply
388 replies to this topic

#256 TheIrishLad

TheIrishLad

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Ebay, Projectors, Economics, Marketing, Entrepreneurial Ventures.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 June 2007 - 01:02 AM

QUOTE(FrostyTheSnowman @ Jun 14 2007, 07:11 AM) View Post

To answer your first question, yes, using a Component cable and a VGA to RGB adapter with a VGA patched BIOS would work just fine on your monitor. happy.gif

And as far as people making the cables in the forums, there isn't really anyone actively doing it right now. However, Talismoon will be manufacturing these cables and selling them on Divineo.com (and other retailers) fairly soon.

Talismoon is going to be making VGA cables? That is excellent news! Where'd you hear this, I checked Divineo's news section but nothing showed up relating to it.

I just hope they are $20-30 or less and of good quality.

#257 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 02:03 PM

QUOTE(TheIrishLad @ Jun 15 2007, 06:38 PM) View Post

Talismoon is going to be making VGA cables? That is excellent news! Where'd you hear this, I checked Divineo's news section but nothing showed up relating to it.

I just hope they are $20-30 or less and of good quality.

I've actually been in direct communication with Talismoon through e-mail about these cables, this is not an official announcement yet, as they are still developing prototypes. They are going to ship me one of their prototypes and I will be doing some testing with it before they are officially released.

They will be LM1881N-based VGA cables, and AFAIK, they will be straight, clean VGA cables. biggrin.gif

#258 PunMaster

PunMaster

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:12 PM

Hey... I'm back again and this time I've really outdone myself (assuming I hadn't before). cool.gif

So even after my last success with the level corrector, I still had two monitors that refused to work. The video levels were now totally standard so those couldn't have been the problem, which left only the sync signals. That in mind, I took a look at the LM1881N datasheet and noticed that the signals it outputted weren't standard VGA HSync / VSync (or even close). So I set out to fix that problem too. Now as some of you might know, I was left with really only one option, the "Internal Sync" (scary, I know). Well I did it. Now every single display I have works perfectly. In case anyone else is crazy enough to give this a try, here's what I did.

First, I took two wires from an 80-pin IDE cable (thats the one with the smaller wires) and soldered them to two vias on the bottom of the motherboard. See http://members.cox.n...687/conunde.JPG for details. Most sources tell you to buffer these signals with schmitt-triggers but I found three problems with this approach. One, I didn't have any schmitt-triggers. Two, You need a 1.5v supply for this method. And three, the output signals are 1.5v logic, not 5v logic like the monitor wants. Instead, I used more high-speed op-amps (go figure). They can buffer and boost the signal and work on a 5v supply (how convenient). I used the AD8608 to get two non-inverting amplifiers with gain factors of 1 + ( 7 / 3 ). See Wikipedia for more info on non-inverting amplifiers.

As usual, I will gladly help anyone having trouble and am always open to comments and suggestions. Thanks for all the support. happy.gif

#259 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 18 June 2007 - 04:56 PM

Yeah, using the internal sync signals will definately be more compatible, they will always be superior to any cable-based VGA setup. They are just a pain in the ass to work with... biggrin.gif

But if anyone out there is planning on mounting a VGA connector internally in their XBOX, you should definately use the internal sync signals.

@PunMaster: We should really consider doing a full-blown tutorial that covers all aspects of native VGA on the XBOX, especially considering what's available now with my VGA Softmods and VGA Patchers, and your hardware expertise with the wiring side of the VGA mod. happy.gif

#260 TheIrishLad

TheIrishLad

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 488 posts
  • Interests:Ebay, Projectors, Economics, Marketing, Entrepreneurial Ventures.

Posted 19 June 2007 - 02:20 AM

QUOTE(FrostyTheSnowman @ Jun 18 2007, 07:39 AM) View Post

I've actually been in direct communication with Talismoon through e-mail about these cables, this is not an official announcement yet, as they are still developing prototypes. They are going to ship me one of their prototypes and I will be doing some testing with it before they are officially released.

They will be LM1881N-based VGA cables, and AFAIK, they will be straight, clean VGA cables. biggrin.gif

Being the great contributor you are I trust screenies will follow once you get the prototype tongue.gif

#261 PunMaster

PunMaster

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 04:56 PM

Does anyone here know anything about interference and signal loss? My picture will do this weird ripple thing every few seconds. Any ideas. Is it caused by the sync signals or the RGB signals? Has anyone else had this problem? Thanks.

#262 PunMaster

PunMaster

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 19 June 2007 - 10:11 PM

Here's a screenshot of what my screen looks like:

IPB Image

#263 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 20 June 2007 - 06:12 AM

QUOTE(TheIrishLad @ Jun 18 2007, 07:56 PM) View Post
Being the great contributor you are I trust screenies will follow once you get the prototype tongue.gif

Assuming Talismoon allows me to do so, yes, you can definately expect some shots of the prototype. happy.gif

QUOTE(PunMaster @ Jun 19 2007, 03:47 PM) View Post
Here's a screenshot of what my screen looks like:

Your using internal sync signals on this picture, correct? It might be a voltage issue, but it most likely is just interference from the motherboard itself...

Are your H & V signals shielded at all within your XBOX?

Have you tried other monitors with your current sync setup?

Edited by FrostyTheSnowman, 20 June 2007 - 06:16 AM.

#264 PunMaster

PunMaster

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 30 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 12:47 AM

I fixed the ripple! happy.gif I guessed it was the sync but I wasn't sure (thanks Frosty). I fixed it by replacing the noisy amplifier circuits with comparators with reference voltages of 0.5v (yet another application of the op-amp). Now everything is perfect in every way (I think). Now to start writing that tutorial me and Frosty were talking about. biggrin.gif Thanks again everyone.

#265 johannesleung

johannesleung

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 03:58 PM

So I never really saw a comparison against the vga signal vs the normal tv and hdtv, could anyone post screenshots of the games running at 480i, 480p, 720p and under vga and under televisions, hehehe Iam not rich so I could never afford to see those things lol is just for the sake of curiosity since if I do this mod I will never go back to my television after I flash my bios. So it came in my mind if it is really worth to do it right now I play at 29 tv under 480i sad.gif and the only option is to vga bios to 17 lcd.

Edited by johannesleung, 21 June 2007 - 04:01 PM.

#266 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 21 June 2007 - 04:54 PM

QUOTE(johannesleung @ Jun 21 2007, 09:34 AM) View Post

So I never really saw a comparison against the vga signal vs the normal tv and hdtv, could anyone post screenshots of the games running at 480i, 480p, 720p and under vga and under televisions, hehehe Iam not rich so I could never afford to see those things lol is just for the sake of curiosity since if I do this mod I will never go back to my television after I flash my bios. So it came in my mind if it is really worth to do it right now I play at 29 tv under 480i sad.gif and the only option is to vga bios to 17 lcd.

Well, honestly there is very minimal difference between Component (HDTV) and VGA. VGA is alot sharper, but other than that it is just really nice to be able to use HDTV resolutions with a normal, cheap VGA monitor.

Normal TV however (480i) is horrible. Both VGA and Component are significantly better than normal TV, I would recommend using a VGA monitor over a normal TV anyday.

But, just for reference: (Pictures taken from 360mods.com)

IPB Image

IPB Image

Edited by FrostyTheSnowman, 21 June 2007 - 04:54 PM.

#267 Maverick-DBZ-

Maverick-DBZ-

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 181 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 11 July 2007 - 04:18 AM

I can't wait to try out the Talismoon VGA cable. How far is it from consumers hands?

#268 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 06:01 AM

QUOTE(Maverick-DBZ- @ Jul 10 2007, 09:54 PM) View Post

I can't wait to try out the Talismoon VGA cable. How far is it from consumers hands?

I've been told it's about a month and a half away. happy.gif

#269 johannesleung

johannesleung

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 11 July 2007 - 11:20 PM

hi frosty hehehe after the release of the pbl I got courage to build my own cable but some stuffs went wrong on the middle of the process, I folowed the tutorial available on http://www.360mods.net/ but on the pics I saw some mistakes the first one is the number orders (sorry for my bad english) on the 15 pin plug the one I got show the numbers diferent from that order, my number one is on the top side and the pic show it under the botton also after I openned my rca xbox cable I noticed that the pic show the first conection 24 as a bigger connection then the one labbeled as 22 but on the cable is exactly the oppose the number 22 is bigger then number 24 please I hope I dont sound so cofusing and you can help me finish my cable, my monitor does support sog so Iam using the diagram for a cable without the sog

#270 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 12 July 2007 - 01:54 AM

johannesleung: The diagram may not be accurate in numbering and pin length (due to the fact that 3rd party cables tend to be different) but it is 100% correct if you know how to read it. If you notice on one of those connectors, the edges are lighter, which means that side corresponds to the side on the actual plug with the slanted edges. (the top side of the connector)

So as long as you remember that when you build the cable, you should be just fine. happy.gif

NOTE: Don't forget to enable at least the 480p setting in your Microsoft Dashboard before using the PBL, or you will not get a picture.

Edited by FrostyTheSnowman, 12 July 2007 - 01:55 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users