#301 bobbyblaze

bobbyblaze

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 31 August 2007 - 12:07 AM

Hurrah for Frosty! Hurrah!

Co-axial would be awesome as the 5.1 center I got the missus only has 2 inputs so it would free up the toslink.

Go Frosty

Go Frosty

Don't be slow

Be like Elvis

Go man Go! jester.gif

#302 yaywoop

yaywoop

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 31 August 2007 - 09:10 AM

this VGA box is definitely a good idea.
and if you are going to have hi-def video, you might as well have the option for digital hi-fi sound.
and the product might appeal to more people if you include basically everything anyone would want wink.gif

#303 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:55 AM

IPB Image

How does this look? happy.gif

This is what the manufacturer said the packaging would look like.

Oh yeah, and they also said it would be easy to implement, and shouldn't raise the price.

I will know for sure in about 2 days from this point...

#304 bobbyblaze

bobbyblaze

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 01:19 PM

wow, topman Frosty. Really good to see someone who takes feedback and turns it into results. I'm back in for one of these beauties with a vengeance.

#305 g-rasshopper

g-rasshopper

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 06:46 PM

A minor point, but wouldn't it be better if the VGA and audio connectors were situated on the sides of the box instead of the top?

Just a thought.

#306 bobbyblaze

bobbyblaze

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 07:33 PM

Why would that make it better? The mere fact that there is more surface area on the front of the box means that this stuff can fit on it better and in a more compact box. If you wanted to put it on the side you would need a great big ugly breakout box like the original HD pack from MS.

#307 g-rasshopper

g-rasshopper

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 08:22 PM

If the connectors were on the sides then the unit could rest flat on the ground making it less obtrusive. It would also mean that there would be less strain on the connectors, and the likelihood of damaging the unit if you accidentally stepped on it would be much lower.

FWIW, all of the Dreamcast VGA adapters that I've ever come across have had the connectors on the sides, and I think there are good design reasons for that.

#308 bobbyblaze

bobbyblaze

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 284 posts

Posted 01 September 2007 - 09:17 PM

FWIW, you'll find the chances of stepping on something are always greatly reduced if you avoid putting it on the floor and look where you're going.

Jeez man, we just got a 5.1 sound connection added and you're still not content because it doesn't aesthetically please you? Some folks is never happy...

Edited by bobbyblaze, 01 September 2007 - 09:24 PM.

#309 yaywoop

yaywoop

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 407 posts
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:35 AM

I think it looks great. i might even buy one.
so whats inside it? still an LM1881?

#310 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 02 September 2007 - 09:36 PM

So far yes, it is still using the LM1881N-based design.

I am looking into other, more compatible options, but at the moment it is still LM1881N-based.

#311 smoke_screen_uk

smoke_screen_uk

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 41 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:none

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:48 AM

I can't remember if I ever asked if you'd looked at the successors to the LM1881, the LMH1980 and the LMH1981 ?

The LMH1981 may be a bit overkill and costs three times that of the LM1881 but is probably one of the best quality ones out there.
The LMH1980 is the LMH1981's smaller brother and only costs $0.53 more each (when bought in 1000s) than the LM1881.

Both of these sync separators sound like good choices, with separate H-Sync and V-Sync outputs and compatibility for all standard and most non-standard video formats.

I know you were looking for a direct "drop-in" replacement solution at this stage in the development or the breakout box, but I figured that if these things become popular then maybe there will be future revisions.

Anyway, just thought I'd point them out if you'd not come across them yet.

Edited by smoke_screen_uk, 03 September 2007 - 09:49 AM.

#312 g-rasshopper

g-rasshopper

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 06:51 PM

Just a quick question. Will this converter be compatible with VGA under Linux?

The reason I ask is that I understand Linux handles VGA slightly differently to the VGA patched BIOSes. IIRC different video connector pins have to be grounded for the OS to recognise that a VGA signal is required.

Thanks in advance.

#313 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 09:31 PM

This VGA cable will be using the 'HDTV' mode jumper setting, so no, it won't be compatible with Linux. sad.gif

Linux requires 1+3 mode (unsupported VGA mode) whereas my cable uses 2+3 mode (HDTV) so it won't work...

Linux has very limited support for VGA, especially on Focus/Xcalibur encoders, so this option was not considered.

Edited by FrostyTheSnowman, 03 September 2007 - 09:31 PM.

#314 g-rasshopper

g-rasshopper

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 9 posts

Posted 03 September 2007 - 10:20 PM

QUOTE(FrostyTheSnowman @ Sep 3 2007, 10:07 PM) View Post

This VGA cable will be using the 'HDTV' mode jumper setting, so no, it won't be compatible with Linux. sad.gif

Linux requires 1+3 mode (unsupported VGA mode) whereas my cable uses 2+3 mode (HDTV) so it won't work...

Linux has very limited support for VGA, especially on Focus/Xcalibur encoders, so this option was not considered.

Thanks for your reply. That's what I suspected.

Would it be possible to add a switch to enable Linux support, or would that add too much to the cost?

#315 w0g

w0g

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 September 2007 - 01:16 PM

Frosty, will this VGA cable be compatible with 1.6 Xboxes? Sorry if this is a dumb question!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users