#1 brandencads

brandencads

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 13 October 2006 - 02:53 AM

Hey guys, first and foremost, I want to thank this community, without your help I wouldnt have been able to mod my original xbox, and now successfully mod my 360. Just flashed xtreme3.3 onto my TS ms28 drive, pretty simple using the bad flash procedure. Anyways, I bought some HP DVD+R DL's from the local Wal-Mart. 2.4x speed, etc. I have an NEC 3500A dvd burner loaded with Liggy's 2.1B Bitsetting Firmware.

My problem is this- when I goto burn my .dvd file with clonecd, I get an error about 25-50% of the way through and says it cant write to the drive anymore. I checked everything, Booktype setting for DVD+R DL is DVD-ROM, etc. What am I doing wrong? Is it just crappy media? I searched around and couldnt find anyone else here on the forum who tried this combo (NEC 3500A & HP DVD+R's). From what I've been reading here Verbatim media is the way to go. Could anyone confirm using Verbatim and the NEC 3500A?

Thanks in advance!

Also, I know for a fact its not a problem with the Image file. Hope you can help! happy.gif

#2 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 13 October 2006 - 03:09 AM

check the compatability threads for your drive and do a Ctrl+F to seach for either your media or burner to see how people have done with it.

im sure oyu know but DVD+R DL verbs are your best bet on media, and pioneer 111d is a great burner!

good luck, sorry couldnt be more help.

#3 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:08 AM

If you have the Sammy in your 360 then you should be fine with that burner. The media could be an issue but if it is causing problems with your PC I would check a few other things first. 1. Make sure you have the latest firmware for your burner. 2. Check the jumper settings on your burner. 3. Have you tried another program (ie image burn)? I concur that the HP media isn't the best to be using (CMC Mag D/L media, which has produced mixed results thus far).

#4 brandencads

brandencads

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 01:23 PM

thanks for the replies guys, i will be picking up some verbatim +R DL media today on my lunch break. Gonna try again in CloneCD then if that doesnt work with the Verbatim, maybe ill try that alternate program you mention, image burn. I will be reporting back to this thread with a solution if i find one, or if i find they are still incompatible- for any other poor soul who has the same setup as mine. Pioneer 111d is looking pretty tempting right now...

also, you mention CMC MAG D/L Media, is that the mediatype that HP DL's use? ie Ridata, etc..

#5 cyberdork33

cyberdork33

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Linux, Space

Posted 13 October 2006 - 02:29 PM

Just for clarification, the program is called "ImgBurn", it is free, and can be found at http://www.imgburn.com

#6 jabroniekilla

jabroniekilla

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 02:53 PM

pioneer 111D with vebatim DL's works great especially with clonecd. Just for info, I live in Vermont (yes that is a state) and I ordered the 111D from Newegg on tuesday at 11:30am and I paid the $2.99 express processing, I recieved the item at 9:00am on wednesday! That is less than 24 hours to ship from New Jersey. Very pleased with the drive and the service from Newegg.

Edited by jabroniekilla, 13 October 2006 - 02:54 PM.

#7 brandencads

brandencads

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 04:39 PM

okay, according to this Verbatims and my dvd burner DO NOT burn coasters. Once again, i read that IMGBurn was a program to use, also DVD Decrypter was mentioned in there as well. What is the difference in these programs? Something about layer break in the .dvd file. is this needed to burn with CloneCD? maybe thats why i was burning coasters? Anyway, im leaving right now to go get that verbatim media at the local staples. if they dont have it, im going to throw a shit-fit.

#8 cyberdork33

cyberdork33

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Linux, Space

Posted 13 October 2006 - 05:23 PM

QUOTE(brandencads @ Oct 13 2006, 11:46 AM) View Post

Once again, i read that IMGBurn was a program to use, also DVD Decrypter was mentioned in there as well. What is the difference in these programs?

The developer of DVD Decrypter is not developing the program anymore. The latest version of it is quite old. However, he continued to develop the disc burning portion of it. This is ImgBurn.

Something about layer break in the .dvd file. is this needed to burn with CloneCD? maybe thats why i was burning coasters? Anyway, im leaving right now to go get that verbatim media at the local staples. if they dont have it, im going to throw a shit-fit.

yes, the layer break is needed. It places the SS in correct place on the disc. If you do not have this, then it will not work correctly. The burning error you are getting may be because it is trying to burn ALL the data on one layer... and there is not enough room for that. smile.gif

I may be totally wrong here because I don't use CloneCD

Edited by cyberdork33, 13 October 2006 - 05:26 PM.

#9 brandencads

brandencads

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 13 October 2006 - 06:56 PM

okay, no Verbatim media AT ALL at the staples i went to....wtf? just memorex and sony hp, etc. unbelievable POS Staples. Anyway, im going to shoot around some stores after i get outta here (work), and see if i cant find any stores with Verbatim in stock. thanks for the info regarding IMGBurn and Dvd Decrypter, this should help me as well.

#10 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:04 AM

Smart move to steer clear of those labels. Memorex is Ritek D01 which wouldn't be much better than those HPs. Not sure who Sony is outsourcing to for their D/L media these days. BTW which country are you located in?

QUOTE(brandencads @ Oct 13 2006, 01:30 PM) View Post

you mention CMC MAG D/L Media, is that the mediatype that HP DL's use? ie Ridata, etc..

Yes, CMC Mag is who HP outsources to for their D/L media. Phillips also outsources to CMC Mag for D/L media. I need to update my media thread that is linked to in my sig but the general idea for D/L media is the same. Most folks outsource to other manufacturers with varrying quality standards and that is why it is so important to know the media ID code. For example, someone could say that they have tried all sorts of D/L media (ie Traxdata, Memorex and Fujifilm D/L DVD+R) and are about to give up in frustration. Then they really blow their tops when they come to find out that all 3 labels use the same media ID code: Ritek D01, so they have effectively been using 3 different discs with the same manufacturer, quality standards, ect.

Edited by jesterrace777, 14 October 2006 - 05:58 AM.

#11 brandencads

brandencads

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 06:54 AM

YES! i got it to work finally. here is my setup:

Media: Verbatim +R DL 8x (orange 5 pack)
Burner: NEC 3500AG w/ Liggy's 2.1B Bitsetting Firmware, DVD-Rom Booktype
Software: IMGBurn v2.1.0.0

I set the layerbreak in IMGBurn and burned @ 2x onto the verbatim, took about 40 minutes a disc, but well worth the wait. BOTH copied images work. Thanks for all your help guys.

#12 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,747 posts

Posted 14 October 2006 - 05:29 PM

No problem, you might want to switch to the lower speed Verbs though as it will save you some cash. wink.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users