Photo

Are Memorex Dvd+r Dl Discs Ok For 360 Game Backups?

• Please log in to reply
30 replies to this topic

#1 basherbacon

basherbacon

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 02:29 PM

I made a backup of my 360 game King Kong using my Pioneer 111D DVDrewriter and Memorex DVD+R DL media the backup of my game works perfectly on my Hitachi 46D drive with garyopa 2.1 firmware but I am wandering will this brand media be bad for my 360s laser because it is not Verbatim brand?

#2 majik655

majik655

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,525 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 October 2006 - 04:42 PM

with my 111d they are 50/50 However new firmware releases lately have allowed these to work "better" ...I just have not purchased that many to say they ALL will work 100% like I can say for verbatim or TDK. Keep buying them until one doesn't work.

#3 Trekboy

Trekboy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 06:04 PM

I'm using a Benq 1620 writer with Memorex DL discs on my TS943 drive in the 360 and they've all worked just fine. Thinking about getting in on the Office Depot deal this week where 15 Memorex DL discs are $25? If you got one of the $5 coupons out of Friday's paper and used it, they gave you a $10 coupon for use this week, which should bring the price down to $15.

#4 Trekboy

Trekboy

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 31 posts

Posted 15 October 2006 - 09:15 PM

Update on the above, my Office Depot didn't let me use the $10 coupon as it is not valid for technology items, phooey, but still an okay in store price for DL discs.

#5 sayc0002

sayc0002

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 44 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 15 October 2006 - 11:03 PM

With newer firmwares, you could be able to use that media. Unfortunately for me, the only type of DVD+R DL in stores around my area are Verbatim or Fuji Film.

#6 Dravor

Dravor

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 88 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:59 AM

QUOTE(sayc0002 @ Oct 15 2006, 11:10 PM) View Post

With newer firmwares, you could be able to use that media. Unfortunately for me, the only type of DVD+R DL in stores around my area are Verbatim or Fuji Film.

My Memorex have worked with zero problems.

#7 BoNg420

BoNg420

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,803 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:17 AM

ive heard people have alot of problems with memorex and also heard it is crappy media

#8 cyberdork33

cyberdork33

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 270 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Linux, Space
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:32 PM

I think the Memorex DVD+R DL discs are RITEK D01. This is not the greatest media, but I have been using it with the newest maximus-garyopa 2.2 with NO problems at all. No coasters!

Edited by cyberdork33, 16 October 2006 - 02:33 PM.

#9 basherbacon

basherbacon

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:41 PM

Well Memorex media works better than Verbatim media on my XB360.

#10 jabroniekilla

jabroniekilla

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 02:50 PM

QUOTE(basherbacon @ Oct 16 2006, 09:48 AM) View Post

Well Memorex media works better than Verbatim media on my XB360.

Really?!?

#11 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:03 PM

QUOTE(jabroniekilla @ Oct 16 2006, 07:57 AM) View Post

Really?!?

seriously... i find that hard to believe.

#12 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 October 2006 - 11:11 PM

As do I as Ritek D01 is definitely inferrior in quality (Yes, Memorex D/L is Ritek D01). Then again burner, firmware revision and of course the firmware for your particular 360 drive can all make a difference. The thing that scares me about Ritek is their track record for discs for becoming unreadable after relatively short periods of time is scary (less than a year). It certainly isn't gauranteed that this will happen but it isn't uncommon either. So I guess it all depends on how long you plan on using/playing that backup.

#13 FuzzyL

FuzzyL

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 19 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 03:55 AM

i will be trying this memorex dvd+r dl discs in my 360 after it's flashed since i get them pretty cheap being an employee of staples smile.gif hopefully they work ok because the only other brand we carry in dvd+r dl discs are HP ones..

#14 eugenile

eugenile

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 94 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:06 AM

I will vouch for this media. They work great!

Here is some hardware info and disc info on them:

I 00:37:38 Destination Device: [1:1:0] _NEC DVD_RW ND-3550A 1.06 (F:) (ATA)
I 00:37:38 Destination Media Type: DVD+R DL (Disc ID: RITEK-D01-01) (Speeds: 2.4x)

First line is the burner I'm using, and the second line is the memorex media, which as confirmed by someone already are Ritek.

I have used them about 25 times, and all success. They work great, and the 360 laser does not seem to have a problem reading them. I dont hear any of the clipping sounds often heard when media is being difficult to read.

I have also tested this with 3 different 360s. 2 of them with hitachi drives (47dj) with the latest (to the date of this posting) firmware. And also my own samsung Ms25 with latest ((to the date of this posting) firmware. 4.2b if I can recall.

I use my Ms25 to read, and XBC as the program, and IMGBurn to burn, no editing of the settings, just opening the .dvd file that already has the layerbreak info.

The media was the cheapest I found at my local store. 25 pack for $34. I was never into going with the "norm". I like to give the cheapest things a chance. And only fall back on the "quality" discs if need be.
This may not be relevant to the subject, but during the PSX days, I used the GQ brand (GQ stands for Great Quality lol) CDR media, when everybody swore by the TDKs (you all remember those days). The GQs were significantly cheaper and worked like they were truely as their brand suggest; "Great Quality". How do they hold up? About a few months ago, I brought out the old trusty PSX, I believe it was the 7000 series. Busted out one of the GQ discs, and worked like the original day I burned it, with no problems in loading, or lense clipping.

Of course the optic gurus will shut my statement down, by doing quality tests, but my test of it works and plays, its good enough, might be also good enough for others as well.

#15 jesterrace777

jesterrace777

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,747 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 12 December 2006 - 09:52 AM

QUOTE(FuzzyL @ Dec 12 2006, 04:02 AM) View Post

i will be trying this memorex dvd+r dl discs in my 360 after it's flashed since i get them pretty cheap being an employee of staples smile.gif hopefully they work ok because the only other brand we carry in dvd+r dl discs are HP ones..

HP=CMC Mag. How cheap can you get the Memorex discs? @euginile that's great that you got those old GQs to work great, that being said CD-Rs aren't nearly as fussy as D/L DVDs. As with anything it isn't 100% gauranteed that cheap media won't work or last for years FOR SOME PEOPLE. The issue that many of us "optical gurus" have is when we go out of our way to do years and years of research and some noob who knows next to nothing about media comes on here and tells us we are full of crap because he/she burned XXXX number of discs and they all work great for them. The bottom line is that cheap media are much more of a gamble than quality media. The thing is that it isn't worth the gamble at the prices you are talking about. You can currently get D/L DVD+R Verbatims for just a hair cheaper than you paid for your Memorexs from http://www.newegg.com after mail in rebate and if you keep your eye out for sales you can get them MUCH cheaper than you purchased your Memorex discs for. I purchased my last 20 pack for $24 shipped after mail in rebate (works out to $1.20 a disc when all is said and done). So at this point I am sorry but I can't see any reason for people to be purchasing cheap quality D/L media in the US unless they are getting them for well under $1 a disc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users