RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,782 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 October 2006 - 04:31 PM

I didn't see one of these in the tutorials section but know this has been discussed before, so I just decided to make a, I hope, decent enough one for people to follow. There's no really great reason I can think of for tearing the AA pack apart, but if yer gonna do it ya may as well do it without destroying it.

You'll need an X-acto knife with a decent blade on it, a socket around the size of a AA battery (3/8", 10mm or so), or just the battery itself will do, and then some super glue to put it back together.

Start off by going down both sides of the battery pack with the X-acto knife where the two are joined.

IPB Image

You don't have to press hard at all, just a steady firm pressure is all ya need. Don't try to pry or twist the halves apart with the blade, just let it do that part of it for you. All that's needed is to move in a slow straight line.

IPB Image

You should hear a few creaks and cracks as you move the blade along. Do both sides a couple of times. You shouldn't hear any more cracking when you've gotten it started to break loose.

After that's done, take your socket and place it were the battery would go, pick either side it makes no difference. You can also just use a AA battery for this part, just put it half way in so you still have a "handle" to pry on.

IPB Image

Hold the pack flat on the table by the sides and press down, then pull up on the handle/battery a little bit, it should "pop" right apart without too much force. Once one side is done, the other side can be broken loose the same way or with just a little pulling apart on the two halves.

IPB Image

When you remove the button make sure ya don't lose the spring that's on there.

IPB Image

IPB Image

If you want to remove the contacts, for whatever reason, they're held in by five small plastic posts that have been melted and pressed down to keep them in place.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Just go around the outside edge and pry up with an X-acto knife or small flathead screwdriver until all that's left is the "post" in the center. DON'T just cut it off, you'll want a little bit of that post remaining if you're planning on putting it back together. To reinstall them you'll need to glue them back in or use a soldering iron and melt the little bit of post that's left to flatten it out sorta like it was before.

When you go to put it all back together that button can be a little pain in the rear. Once you have it in place it's best to keep ahold of it and pressed in, the spring will push it right back out if ya let go. Once ya have the button held in, use a few drops of super glue along each side and one in the center. Use a little bit, there's no need at all to run a bead down the whole length of both sides, you'll just make a mess. Also if you painted it while it was apart and there is ANY paint at all in these spots, or the corresponding spots on the other half, remove it first before you go putting the glue on.

IPB Image

Once ya have it glued up and the halves back together, keep them pressed together pretty good for a few minutes at least, a couple of rubber bands wrapped around there will keep it held together good so you can just let it sit and the glue can dry real good while you tear up something else. wink.gif

Edited by RDC, 16 October 2006 - 04:34 PM.

#2 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:13 PM

5 star stuff as always RDC.

vote for pin

#3 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:32 PM

Added to tutorials.

#4 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 05:45 PM

Thanks all (well both of ya anyway), I just finished gutting (properly) a PnC battery pack as well, so I'll have that posted a little later too.

#5 SkateorDie

SkateorDie

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,085 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 16 October 2006 - 06:46 PM

call me stupid, but what does this achieve?

#6 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:09 PM

QUOTE(SkateorDie @ Oct 16 2006, 01:53 PM) View Post

call me stupid, but what does this achieve?

It made yer post count go up by 1 wink.gif

Maybe someone would be curious to see how it works, without having to tear theirs apart. Maybe they'd like to take theirs apart, for whatever reason, but do it the right way. The second sentence of the post states "There's no really great reason I can think of for tearing the AA pack apart, but if yer gonna do it ya may as well do it without destroying it." I'm tearing both of these apart (this AA here and a PnC pack a little later on) so when they're painted the buttons aren't forked with in any way and the paint can be applied easily to just the top part that ya see, without having to mask off all that other stuff or paint the whole thing making it an even tighter fit than it already is in the controller.

Edited by RDC, 25 January 2009 - 03:06 AM.

#7 Perplexer

Perplexer

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,183 posts
  • Interests:Fish with big teeth

Posted 17 October 2006 - 11:37 PM

Those are some great photos; thanks for the tut!
beerchug.gif

#8 tsantsa

tsantsa

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 24 January 2009 - 11:01 PM

I have a loose battery pack. If i bump the controller a little too hard it dies and I have to turn it back on. Is there a way, using this tut, to 'tighten' up the pack so it does get jarred and make controller turn off?

#9 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:05 AM

QUOTE(tsantsa @ Jan 24 2009, 05:37 PM) View Post

I have a loose battery pack. If i bump the controller a little too hard it dies and I have to turn it back on. Is there a way, using this tut, to 'tighten' up the pack so it does get jarred and make controller turn off?

This seems to be a fairly common issue with the AA pack, and you can do a couple of things to 'fix' it..

The problem is the switch in the pack, if ya notice in the battery well of the controller that little tab that sticks up, and then the rectangle shaped hole in the back of the AA pack, when it's put in the controller it pushes on the bottom metal contact in the battery pack (8th pic) and makes it touch the other one so the circuit between the batteries is complete. Why they made it like that is beyond me as it serves no purpose whatsoever, except to fail at some point causing issues and just irritating ya.

You can take an L shaped awl and reach in there and bend the top metal contact down a little bit so it takes less pressure to get them to touch or ya can put a couple pieces of masking tape or the like over the tab in the controller so it makes it taller and that puts more pressure on the contact in the pack. Either of those can be done without having to take the pack apart also.

#10 opm881

opm881

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 54 posts

Posted 25 January 2009 - 03:20 AM

great tut! I need to take apart one of the wireless packs im using for a mod because of two things. One, i need to add a tiny switch in between the batterys to the leds inside the controller and be turned on and of, and also the pack has started to come apart at the joins.

#11 DeMoN_DARREN

DeMoN_DARREN

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:03 AM

Suprised this hasn't been done before! Great tutorial for anyone who wants to paint the whole of thier controller case

Oh, and those photos are crazy nice detail.... can i borrow that camera rolleyes.gif

#12 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,782 posts

Posted 26 January 2009 - 01:44 AM

QUOTE(DeMoN_DARREN @ Jan 25 2009, 07:39 PM) View Post

Suprised this hasn't been done before! Great tutorial for anyone who wants to paint the whole of thier controller case

Oh, and those photos are crazy nice detail.... can i borrow that camera rolleyes.gif

It was done before, over 2 years ago, I posted this back in Oct '06 along with the PnC pack tutorial. wink.gif

Back then I used a Casio QV-R4 camera for pics, and an old camcorder eyepiece for really close up things as it's macro was so-so, now I use a Konica Minolta DiMAGE Z6.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users