RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,789 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:55 PM

Here are the insides of the PnC battery pack as well as how to get it apart without completely trashing it in the process.

You'll need an X-acto knife with a decent blade and the some super glue to put it back together.

Start off by going down both sides with the blade of the X-acto knife. Don't go twisting or prying with the blade, run it in a straight line, any twisting or prying is just going to snap the tip of the blade off.

IPB Image

After a few runs along the sides it should look something like this now.

IPB Image

The big pain of taking this thing apart is the bottom of it.

IPB Image

I just slice straight thru it, you only have to go a couple of millimeters deep before you're all the way thru and can start to prying on it a little bit. It takes maybe 5 of 6 good passes with the blade to get all the way thru, you'll feel it when it breaks thru, so pay attention and be careful.

IPB Image

IPB Image

You may want to run down the sides a couple more times and make sure nothing more can be broken loose there, you'll hear some creaking if something broke loose. Alternate between corners and pry a little bit on each one until you have a small gap. You'll be able to see the Batteries thru it and can tell that you don't want to go cutting really deep here or you'll get into them.

IPB Image

It'll take a little bit of force to get the halves seperated, you can see it's fused together as to not come apart easily at all. BE CAREFUL, when it finally breaks loose the batteries are glued in the top half, the connector and circuit board are in the bottom half. When it finally breaks loose and both halves want to go flying in opposite directions you could tear up the Thermistor and/or battery leads, BE CAREFUL. If you do tear out the Thermistor and only use the controller and PnC Kit to charge up your battery don't worry about it, it's not used at all when connected that way. I'm not sure about the Quick Charge Kit, I don't have one to tear apart, but I assume it IS used for that thing. So if ya charge your batteries with it and tear it off you'll need to fix it back up first.

IPB Image

IPB Image

Once ya have the two halves seperated you can pry the batteries out of the top half, they're held in with a little silicone, or maybe a lot, I'm sure this differs some from pack to pack. This one didn't have too much holding it in though.

IPB Image

Careful not to loose the spring that's on the button.

IPB Image

If you've painted it while it was apart, BEFORE you go to glue it back together make sure there is NO paint in either half at the spots where you'll be putting the glue. A little bit of Super Glue can go a long way if it's used right. Make sure you press the halves firmly back together for a few minutes until the glue sets up good, use a couple of rubber bands or set something of a decent weight on it, a big hardback book for example, to keep them pressed together for awhile.

IPB Image

This is a little more in depth of what's inside the PnC battery pack.

The batteries are Sanyo, Model HR-3U 2100mAh and are the Nickel Metal Hydride type.

IPB Image

Under this insulation strip...

IPB Image

...is the circuit board with Connector, EEPROM (Atmel 24C04N) and a few other parts.

IPB Image

IPB Image

IPB Image

This is what contact does what on the connector, if ya didn't see the board markings from the pic above this one. B-/P- is ground.

IPB Image

This is the schematic of the circuit board.

IPB Image

#2 pablot

pablot

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 October 2006 - 07:59 PM

excellent! Thanks. Got any posibilites to dump the eeprom?

Edited by pablot, 16 October 2006 - 08:02 PM.

#3 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:08 PM

RDC's tuts kickass!

Keep em' coming!

#4 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:15 PM

Added to tutorials.

#5 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:15 PM

QUOTE(pablot @ Oct 16 2006, 03:06 PM) View Post

excellent! Thanks. Got any posibilites to dump the eeprom?

I used the same kind of reader that you'd use on the XBOX EEPROM, a couple of diodes, couple resistors and a DB9 connector. Just took an old Wireless bottom and the connector from the board, glued it all up, stuck in the battery and read it with PonyProg. No need for an external power source to be applied to VCC as long as the batteries are charged.

#6 ben1989

ben1989

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:29 PM

any chance u cam post the .bin file etc or the dump ?

thanks ben

#7 G0t M4xx 21

G0t M4xx 21

X-S Freak

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,990 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:37 PM

wtf why does a battery need an eeprom??? Contents would be interesting

Also looks like it would be fairly easy to change out those batteries with higher capacity ones, like 2600 or 2800mAh

#8 RDC

RDC

X-S Seraphic

• Head Moderators
  • 8,789 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:41 PM

QUOTE(ben1989 @ Oct 16 2006, 03:36 PM) View Post

any chance u cam post the .bin file etc or the dump ?
thanks ben

Lord no, I have no clue what crapola M$ may have in there and I'm for sure not gonna find out the hard way it's something they don't want everyone seeing. wink.gif Far as I can tell the majority of it's just the serial number (same number that's on the outside of the battery) then the text "XBOX Battery Pack" then the battery type HR-3U-2100. The "dunno" part is after that and is the only thing that differs from pack to pack besides the serial number. Pablots having a gander at it, if there's anything interesting there I'm sure we'll hear about it from him.

#9 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:43 PM

Maybe we can overclock the battery!!!! hahahahaa

oh oh even better .... We can make the battery run unsigned code!!!!!

#10 ben1989

ben1989

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 394 posts

Posted 16 October 2006 - 08:48 PM

hehe kool lol next best thing the battrey hack:) i would dump mine but i dont have a serial port on mi pc pmsl

Edited by ben1989, 16 October 2006 - 08:57 PM.

#11 henmill

henmill

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,119 posts
  • Interests:computers, video games, modding, general electronics

Posted 16 October 2006 - 09:25 PM

I always love reading RDC's posts just because of the sheer quality of the pics.

drumroll please......and the key to running unsigned code on the 360 lies in.....THE BATTERY PACK!!!!

jk roflcopter lollerskates

#12 pablot

pablot

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 05:30 AM

CODE

0x00-0x0D: Battery pack serial number.
0x20-0x3F: String: "XBOX Battery Pack" (Padded with 0xFF)
0x80-0x80: Battery make, here: "HR-3U-2100" (Padded with 0xFF)
0x90-0x9E: Unknown, same between two battery packs with same
           batteries so could be some charging related information.
           Could also be hardware revision info or something.

0x9F: 0xFF when new, 0x01 after first charge (and stays that way)
0xA0-0xA7: see note below
0xA8-0xAF: These last two areas are quite alike. The first seven bytes
           contain some information, probably charging statistics or something.
           The last byte (the eight) of each section is a checksum of the first
           seven bytes. Its a normal 8-bit checksum with the result 2-complemented.

all this info is based on just a few batteries, so it might not be completely accurate.

I'm gonna see if we can get some more info by using the batteries some time and then doing another dump to see if some data changes (I wouldn't be suprised). Best thing would be to find a pack with other batteries to see what data changes.

Why is this interesant? Well, as got maxx said, then you could swap to better batteries or replace your old ones when they start to wear out.

/pablot

Edited by pablot, 27 January 2007 - 10:46 PM.

#13 Lamer123

Lamer123

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 967 posts
  • Interests:Games

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:13 AM

I know it would be cool to swap out the batteries, but you have to take a step back and look at the big picture.

You can just use rechargable double a's in your 360 controller without getting a play and charge.

My 2500 mah will give me a week of solid gaming on one charge.

I would say that the best way to extend the life of your batteries is to disable the rumble feature.

But back to the matter at hand . What can be achieved by altering a batteries firmware??

#14 pablot

pablot

X-S Freak

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,275 posts

Posted 17 October 2006 - 07:26 AM

a battery doesn't have a firmware... (?)

Speculation: There is just some data on the eeprom that is used by the controller to apply the correct batterycharging algorithm.

I just find it fun to find out stuff like that, but this is possibly quite oftopic for a casemodding forum. So maybe the relevant post should be split onto a separate topic in some other forum..

/pablot

#15 Arjun

Arjun

X-S Messiah

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,867 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 17 October 2006 - 08:38 PM

QUOTE(xboxexpert @ Oct 16 2006, 08:50 PM) View Post

Maybe we can overclock the battery!!!! hahahahaa
oh oh even better .... We can make the battery run unsigned code!!!!!

Bah, we all know you're scouring the internet to find a radiator that will fit inbetween the batteries...and a round water block...

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users