#1 chubtijjus

chubtijjus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:43 AM

OK, heres the thing. My 360 has been making a funny sound for a few months now. It did not do it when I first purchased it. But my problem is that I voided the warranty, ooh taboo, but anyways and now I must replace the drive cuz it keeps telling me "disk is unreadable" (To keep the explanation short of how i know its the DVD drive is that everytime the disk stops spinning or slows it grinds, like when i go from game to dashboard, and it does it everytime). I want to keep it stock, no hacks or mods no firmway hacks nothin, I just want it to work like it came out of the box this morning. The Problem is I dont know how to do that or if Its even possible. Can I just replace the drive and whats this talk about Keys and stuff?

Edited by chubtijjus, 18 October 2006 - 09:45 AM.

#2 bigjimmy

bigjimmy

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:54 AM

OK well its a mechanical problem in the DVD drive (Maybe the laser assembly or something)

You have 2 options:

1. Replace the whole DVD drive (expensive and a bit of a pain with flashing and all)

2. Open up the DVD drive and find out exactly whats wrong with it.

Now, if you go with option 1, you are going to have to extract the firmware from the broken DVD drive (plent of tuts around for that) then extract the Key from the firmware (The DVD key is in the motherboard and the DVD drive. The motherboard HAS to have the same key as the DVD drive, otherwise it doent work (well wont boot and games). Its A LOT more complex than that, but thats the basic way it works)
Then when you put the new DVD drive in, you extract the firmware from the new DVD drive, patch the firmware with the origional key, and put the 360 back together.

The other way you can do it is just take the DVD drive cover off, then turn on the 360 with a disk in (make sure the white magnetic thing is on top of the disk!) and see if theres anything obvious that isnt working/ having troubles working. Then see if its fixable.

#3 Deadman1515

Deadman1515

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 October 2006 - 12:03 PM

QUOTE(bigjimmy @ Oct 18 2006, 04:01 AM) View Post

OK well its a mechanical problem in the DVD drive (Maybe the laser assembly or something)

You have 2 options:

1. Replace the whole DVD drive (expensive and a bit of a pain with flashing and all)

2. Open up the DVD drive and find out exactly whats wrong with it.

Now, if you go with option 1, you are going to have to extract the firmware from the broken DVD drive (plent of tuts around for that) then extract the Key from the firmware (The DVD key is in the motherboard and the DVD drive. The motherboard HAS to have the same key as the DVD drive, otherwise it doent work (well wont boot and games). Its A LOT more complex than that, but thats the basic way it works)
Then when you put the new DVD drive in, you extract the firmware from the new DVD drive, patch the firmware with the origional key, and put the 360 back together.

The other way you can do it is just take the DVD drive cover off, then turn on the 360 with a disk in (make sure the white magnetic thing is on top of the disk!) and see if theres anything obvious that isnt working/ having troubles working. Then see if its fixable.

Is it possible to only replace the mechanical components of the DVD drive so you don't have to do key swapping? It is more "tool" intensive but if you are comfortable around tools and not so much with software seems like a good possibility if it is feasible.

#4 bigjimmy

bigjimmy

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 18 October 2006 - 09:18 PM

Is it possible to only replace the mechanical components of the DVD drive so you don't have to do key swapping? It is more "tool" intensive but if you are comfortable around tools and not so much with software seems like a good possibility if it is feasible

Yes it is entirely possible to replace the mechanical components. The only thing is, finding those components.

If your lucky the thing that is broken is fixable and wont need to be replaced.

One other thing, can i ask what TYPE of grinding noise its making? Like does the griding get faster or slower with the disk speeding up or down? Sorry that may seem like a dumb question, but there are a lot of type of griding noises. That could suggest what part of the DVD drive is broken.

#5 Deadman1515

Deadman1515

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 420 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 18 October 2006 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE(bigjimmy @ Oct 18 2006, 03:25 PM) View Post

Yes it is entirely possible to replace the mechanical components. The only thing is, finding those components.

If your lucky the thing that is broken is fixable and wont need to be replaced.

One other thing, can i ask what TYPE of grinding noise its making? Like does the griding get faster or slower with the disk speeding up or down? Sorry that may seem like a dumb question, but there are a lot of type of griding noises. That could suggest what part of the DVD drive is broken.

I realize you would at least at this point in time have to buy an entire DVD drive although I'm not sure how easy and cost effective that is at this point.

#6 chubtijjus

chubtijjus

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:04 AM

Thanks for answering my question but you all have raised a few more. It sounds like repairing is the way to go, money is not so much of an issue here so, would it be possible to buy a new DVD drive and rip the componants out of the new drive and throw em in the busted one? and to aswer the other question it will only make the noise when the disk is slowing never speeding up. and when it makes the noise the noise also slows, does that answer your question and may i ask, Whats the diff?

Edited by chubtijjus, 19 October 2006 - 08:06 AM.

#7 j3y q

j3y q

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 530 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 19 October 2006 - 08:14 AM

if you get a new drive ill buy the dvd drive case off of you if its a sammy.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users