4 replies to this topic

#1 manekineko

manekineko

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 07:52 AM

I'm looking to remove the stock case fan and replace it with a Vantec Stealth I picked up. Has anyone removed their stock case fan? How did you do it? Seems like something is holding it down on the bottom, and I see two latches on the sides of the fan on the bottom, but pulling on them and pushing on them doesn't seem to have any effect. Is there a trick to getting this thing out?

I'm kinda loathe to remove the motherboard from my Xbox since my Matrix is perfectly aligned right now. I figure the way to remove the fan becomes obvious when the mobo is out, but if it could be removed without pulling out the mobo, that'd be really great.

#2 w m z

w m z

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 07:58 AM

sledge hammer to the right hand side (hard) jester.gif

#3 dzv

dzv

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,522 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 May 2003 - 08:26 AM

The two latches (coming upwards from the bottom of the Xbox) are what holds the fan in place. Simply use a small flathead screwdriver to pry them outwards, while lifting the fan upwards. It's not too hard. You might want to do one latch at a time. Pry it outwards and lift the fan just enough to clear the latch, then keep that upwards pressure on the fan, and pry the other latch outwards.

#4 manekineko

manekineko

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 111 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 04:20 PM

Thanks a lot! biggrin.gif

Too bad I already used w m z's suggestion before I realized he was joking sad.gif

#5 w m z

w m z

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,378 posts

Posted 16 May 2003 - 04:27 PM

rotfl.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users