• Please log in to reply
6 replies to this topic

#1 gutted

gutted

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 12:08 PM

So - I'm planning to rip my DVDs to fileserver. The plan is to stash the originals in the attic or something, and get some space back on the shelves...

Anyway. Am trying out dvd2xbox - got it working, but checking the wisonauts forums I see that XB filesystem is FAT (or FAT32, I guess). This means I can't have files greater than 4GB, no? Is there a cunning way around this?

For example - if I rip DVDs as .iso files, and the disc gets split across a couple of files, does XBMC recognise these files as a single disc? How does XBMC play multiple .iso files?

Any help appreciated!

Cheers,
Dan.

#2 Vayate

Vayate

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 868 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:25 PM

The limitation is due tio the filesystem, but there's no way around it as far as I know. However, in your hypothetical case you could use XBMC to play the VOB files.

#3 C o s m o

C o s m o

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Interests:The Shocker, mudbutt, luge lessons, buggery.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 23 October 2006 - 07:42 PM

You can store movie files on your PC and stream them to your Xbox via XBMC, thus avoiding the 4GB limit.

#4 Davevanau

Davevanau

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts

Posted 23 October 2006 - 08:58 PM

U could rip the movies to Xvid or Divx. That way u have them on your xbox hdd and its not taking up too much space.

#5 gutted

gutted

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 16 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 08:36 AM

Thanks for the replies!

Storage isn't a worry, I guess. I'm planning to store the files onto a remote (NTFS) filesystem. If XBMC can read files greater than 4GB (even if it can't store them) that's cool.

Problem, I guess, is with dvd2xbox. From what I've found so far, it will only rip ISO files up to 4GB in size.

But I was thinking about this yesterday evening... I'm reckoning that your average DVD can't be more than 4GB anyway, no? I mean - all the standard films and TV etc that you buy on DVD are (so far as I know) standard DVD disks... That would mean that an ISO rip can't be more than 4Gb anyway, right?

So - am I worrying about nothing here?

But also - thanks for the suggestion about simply reading the VOB files if necessary. Quick question on that though..... I tested out one of my DVDs as an ISO rip yesterday and I had all the menus etc as if the disk were being read from the DVDRom drive (which is perfect). How would I get the menus etc when playing files individually? I also ripped a disk in "normal mode" to see what the difference was... I played an individual VOB file, but part way through the show the playback stopped; I guess it had reached the end of the VOB file. Can I combine VOB files, or is there a different way to play back this sort of rip?

Cheers again!
Dan.

EDIT: by the way - I've not actually upgraded the harddisk, and when ripping my DVDs I plan to rip directly to an NTFS storage location. But even then, I think dvd2xbox can only rip ISO files up to 4GB (e.g. whether it writes to the XB file system or not). I'm using dvd2xbox v0.7.7.

Edited by gutted, 24 October 2006 - 08:40 AM.

#6 mammlouk

mammlouk

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts

Posted 24 October 2006 - 09:36 AM

As far as DVD ISOs go, they can easily be more than 4 GB. Most DVD movies you buy are pressed on 8.5GB Dual Layer DVDs.

I'm guessing by the topics you're asking about you don't have a DVD-rom drive on your PC. If you do, just use DVD Decrypter to rip your ISOs on the PC. Otherwise I'm not sure about filesize limitations in DVD2XBOX. If you rip in normal mode (Not positive here because I don't use DVD2XBOX) you should get an IFO file along with your VOBs. You should be able to open that and get it to play through the whole movie.

#7 WiSo

WiSo

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 751 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 October 2006 - 07:10 AM

dvd2xbox iso mode was intended but not limited to work with virtual dvd drive for softmods. It rips the whole dvd and split it up it 4GB files. So for the most games you get two files which can be copied together. However this isn't needed for the average user. Just rip in normal mode and all vob files are stored as is on you hdd or use a ripper on you PC which makes really sense if you just wanted the films on you pc hdd.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users