22 replies to this topic

#1 KaioShin

KaioShin

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 98 posts

Posted 27 October 2006 - 09:35 PM

Its been almost a year since the Q3A port was released for XBOX. As great of a port as it is... its basicly a straight port. There are lots of nice new things that can be added to it that the great devs have made for Q3A on PC. Support for several great mods could possibly added as well.

Carcharius' OpenGL library/wrapper (forget which it was maybe a combination) would be a great thing to have avalible to devs as well. It'd be cool to get Darkplaces (an advanced Quake1 engine) ported to xbox but it would absolutely require OpenGL.

So this is a (polite but public) request for Carcharius to please release the Q3A port's source as well as the OpenGL related things that would be required to compile it. You must admit it'd be really interesting to see what people would do with such a thing. If the OpenGL lib is complete enough... imagine the ports that would suddenly become possible/easier.

#2 enderandrew

enderandrew

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 28 October 2006 - 07:28 AM

Personally I'd love to see something like Darkplaces ported. There are plenty of great Quake 1 and 2 engines out there, rather than the vanilla ports we have now.

#3 Visper

Visper

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 15 July 2007 - 11:53 PM

@Carcharius: Now that the the xbox scene is almost dead and you have stated that you won't work on any projects (besides ScummVM) for the Xbox, why don't you release the sources for your OpenGL wrapper?

There are lots of cool OpenGL games out there and I'm sure that would bring some new life to the Xbox.

#4 Dihnekis

Dihnekis

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts

Posted 16 July 2007 - 08:49 AM

Yeah, why was the source for this never released? Carcharius's site no longer even has any reference to it.

#5 BlaCkAdDa

BlaCkAdDa

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 355 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 07:17 AM

Probably coz he didnt want people bastardising/stealing his hard work.
That said, its probably a good time to put some much needed life in the xbox scene... though whether there's anyone left with the talent and determination to do much with it remains to be seen.

#6 enderandrew

enderandrew

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 909 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 03:50 PM

QUOTE(BlaCkAdDa @ Aug 3 2007, 07:53 AM) View Post

Probably coz he didnt want people bastardising/stealing his hard work.
That said, its probably a good time to put some much needed life in the xbox scene... though whether there's anyone left with the talent and determination to do much with it remains to be seen.

I don't want to sound like a dick, but if you alter GPL code, and someone asks for the source, you are legally required to give it out.

#7 PillHarris

PillHarris

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 03 August 2007 - 09:01 PM

Edited by PillHarris, 03 August 2007 - 09:14 PM.

#8 axboxed

axboxed

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 August 2007 - 09:50 AM

enderandrew is correct. the quake 3 arena engine source was released under the GPL and as such the individual who released the modified engine must by the license release the source.

#9 axboxed

axboxed

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 07 January 2009 - 07:54 PM

just wondering whatever happened to the source, as I am sure that some people including myself would like to update the code base using ioquake3.

#10 sirlemonhead

sirlemonhead

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 07 January 2009 - 08:38 PM

I'd understand if he didnt want to release the opengl wrapper.

But the rest of it would be nice. I'd love to rewrite it for Direct3D

#11 Carcharius

Carcharius

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 01:42 PM

I no longer have the source for several of my previous projects, Q3A being one of them.

I had a hard drive failure some time back and lost a lot of stuff that I really should have had backed up. I've learned my lessons from that!

Carcharius

#12 sirlemonhead

sirlemonhead

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 08 January 2009 - 10:11 PM

Does that include the opengl->direct3d wrapper?

#13 axboxed

axboxed

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 27 posts

Posted 09 January 2009 - 08:03 PM

oh damn, any reference material, print outs? anything??? argh no lost source brings me to my knees... for ever more do we require the services of backup and DVCS

#14 sirlemonhead

sirlemonhead

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 161 posts

Posted 10 January 2009 - 12:26 AM

It's something i'd like to work on next...

#15 Carcharius

Carcharius

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 635 posts

Posted 12 January 2009 - 11:44 AM

QUOTE(sirlemonhead @ Jan 8 2009, 09:47 PM) View Post

Does that include the opengl->direct3d wrapper?

Sadly yes.

I lost lots of stuff. As well as Q3 and the OpenGL wrapper I lost the source to DoomX, SpeXtrum (my Sinclair Spectrum emulator), my original ScummVM port (that's why the last release was a re-port) and several unfinished projects that I had been dabbling with - Martahon/AlephOne, MESS, DoomLegacy.

Pretty much the only thing I managed to keep was the source for Xenesis (my port of the Sega Genesis/Megadrive emulator Gens - my first xbox project) and that was sheer good fortune - it was still on an old drive that I was using all that time ago.

But as I said before lessons have been learned.

Carch

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users