7 replies to this topic

#1 BrainGrindie

BrainGrindie

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 07:27 PM

Hey.

I bought a second hand Xbox today and just softmodded it. It won't read backups though and the hard drive's only 2GB. I've noticed that the stickers that cover the screws at the bottom have been peeled off. I'm guessing whoever had it before me replaced the DVD drive and HD before selling it to GAME.

Would there be any other reason why the DVD drive won't read backups?

#2 slingshot2170

slingshot2170

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:Biology, chemistry, science, electrical engineering
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:33 PM

Your DVD drive might not be reading backups because they're burned in incorrect format, or the drive could just be bad.

Unless you created a stealth drive during the softmod process, then the Xbox is only reporting how much free space you have available on your E:\ drive. To use the remaining space, you need to re-softmod it and tell it to create the F:\ drive.

You can always open the Xbox up and look at the physical hard drive, and on it's label it should tell you what size it is.

#3 BrainGrindie

BrainGrindie

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:42 PM

QUOTE(slingshot2170 @ Oct 30 2006, 09:40 PM) View Post

Your DVD drive might not be reading backups because they're burned in incorrect format, or the drive could just be bad.

Unless you created a stealth drive during the softmod process, then the Xbox is only reporting how much free space you have available on your E:\ drive. To use the remaining space, you need to re-softmod it and tell it to create the F:\ drive.

You can always open the Xbox up and look at the physical hard drive, and on it's label it should tell you what size it is.

It must be the DVD drive then, 'cause I've been using these backups for years.

I'll open the Xbox and have a peek then. Thanks for the help.

#4 slingshot2170

slingshot2170

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 609 posts
  • Interests:Biology, chemistry, science, electrical engineering
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 30 October 2006 - 10:45 PM

Well, you just bought the 'box today, right? Just because the backups worked in the past on a different Xbox, doesn't mean it'll work on this one. Chances are that the drive in the new Xbox is a different model. Try burning one of your backups to a different format, and burn it at the slowest possible speed (2x or 4x is fine).

#5 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 30 October 2006 - 11:59 PM

Clear your cache. Most people fail to do it after softmodding their xbox, then they wonder why the hell they can't get their xbox to play backups.

#6 BrainGrindie

BrainGrindie

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:04 AM

QUOTE(Alex548 @ Oct 30 2006, 11:06 PM) View Post

Clear your cache. Most people fail to do it after softmodding their xbox, then they wonder why the hell they can't get their xbox to play backups.

Err... how do I do that? I deleted all files from the 3 partitions that all hold about 700MB.

Heh! I figured out why I could only use 2 gig. Turns out, the guy who owned it before me installed Halo on the HD. DOH!

#7 Alex548

Alex548

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,412 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:11 AM

E:\CACHE (delete everything inside this folder)
X:\ (delete everything inside this partition)
Y:\ (delete everything inside this partition)
Z:\ (delete everything inside this partition)

Restart your xbox & test your discs.

You can also take your dvd drive apart and clean the laser eye & mirror to make sure it's not being obstructed by dust.

#8 BrainGrindie

BrainGrindie

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 12:15 AM

QUOTE(Alex548 @ Oct 30 2006, 11:18 PM) View Post

E:\CACHE (delete everything inside this folder)
X:\ (delete everything inside this partition)
Y:\ (delete everything inside this partition)
Z:\ (delete everything inside this partition)

Restart your xbox & test your discs.

You can also take your dvd drive apart and clean the laser eye & mirror to make sure it's not being obstructed by dust.

Did that, but it hasn't helped. I can hear the DVD drive struggling to read the disc. I think I'll just swap the drive with a drive from an old bricked XBox. I hope that fixes the problem.

EDIT: No wait! It DID fix the problem! Thanks. But it won't load a certain game. The only reason I can think of is that it's an NTSC game (the reast are PAL).

Edited by BrainGrindie, 31 October 2006 - 12:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users