• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 loobindoobin

loobindoobin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 31 October 2006 - 05:53 AM

Hello everyone, I'm obviously new here and would like to send out my respects to all of the current members.

But lets get down and dirty.
So here's the deal, I just paid to have my x-box hard modded, I had been playing on it for like 3 days and then it froze and I had to Manually Power off. Now I'm a little new to hard modification however if My memory serves me well an X-Box HD is formatted with a FAT32 allocation table (common in windows nt, and windows 98). This File system (FAT32) is well known for losing system information, or corrupting system files when manually powering off, or if there is a power surge (lightning striking, car accident that took the power out, etc.). Thus the reason why MS came out with the NTFS File system,(most common in windows xp) since MS (and I'm not trying to defend tongue.gif ) prob had so many problems with in-experianced users just hitting the power button on the PC without going to start then shut down, and losing valuable system information. This most likely happend to my X-box when I manually powered off.

THE POSSIBLE FIX!

And don't hold me to it, but this did work for me. This may only work on X-box's with the Linux O/S (Operating system) If you have already replaced your IDE cable (Like I did try first because it would have been the easiest fix) and this still didn't work, then please try this next.
A modded xbox can have various O/S (Operating Systems) The most common However is Linux. To softmod an xbox you simply have to take the files from a very old and popular game called mechassualt
(you have to have the older version of mechassualt the one that has a serial code that reads: MS02301LL1)
This game has some vital linux system files on it. When i put the disc in, it didn't work straight out of the gate, however, I kept trying and finally I started playing with the controller attached to the X-box and Started hitting the 'A' (Green) button, As soon as I did this Mechassault started loading!!!! YAY!!! (I think hitting the 'A' button on the controller enables a forced start from a disc. I may be wrong however.) After I saw the Splash screen from mechassualt I ejected the disk without powering the xbox down. This forced the xbox to get passed the booting period and loaded the AVALAUNCH dashboard. When the avalaunch dashboard appeared it told me that it fixed a corrupt file. Since then my xbox has been running PRIME-O!!!

Of course when your X-box freezes it leaves you with minimal options (Such as Manually Powering down) If this does happen to you, then I really hope this fixes your problems as well as it did for me.
If this doesn't work then please no hate mail! wink.gif

Happy X-boxin!!
And Good Luck!

#2 grovespaz

grovespaz

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 31 October 2006 - 03:56 PM

QUOTE(loobindoobin @ Oct 31 2006, 06:00 AM) View Post

Hello everyone, I'm obviously new here and would like to send out my respects to all of the current members.
Thanks

But lets get down and dirty.
So here's the deal, I just paid to have my x-box hard modded, I had been playing on it for like 3 days and then it froze and I had to Manually Power off. Now I'm a little new to hard modification however if My memory serves me well an X-Box HD is formatted with a FAT32 allocation table (common in windows nt, and windows 98).
Wrong. The Xbox HD is formatted using FATX, which is a modified version of FAT.
This File system (FAT32) is well known for losing system information, or corrupting system files when manually powering off, or if there is a power surge (lightning striking, car accident that took the power out, etc.).
This is only true if you just turn off the power to your PC, or have a lightning strike. This is also true for NTFS, the solution is to press shutdown in windows..
Thus the reason why MS came out with the NTFS File system,(most common in windows xp) since MS (and I'm not trying to defend tongue.gif ) prob had so many problems with in-experianced users just hitting the power button on the PC without going to start then shut down, and losing valuable system information.
Well, nay, they just needed an more advanced file system to meet the requirements of storage..
This most likely happend to my X-box when I manually powered off.
Well, probably not, unless you were doing some file copying or something.. The Xbox is designed to be powered off manually. In addition, any program running can stop the manual shutdown, stop HD activity, and then shutdown.

THE POSSIBLE FIX!

And don't hold me to it, but this did work for me. This may only work on X-box's with the Linux O/S (Operating system) If you have already replaced your IDE cable (Like I did try first because it would have been the easiest fix) and this still didn't work, then please try this next.
A modded xbox can have various O/S (Operating Systems) The most common However is Linux. To softmod an xbox you simply have to take the files from a very old and popular game called mechassualt
(you have to have the older version of mechassualt the one that has a serial code that reads: MS02301LL1)
Thats widely known

This game has some vital linux system files on it.
Wrong, the game doesnt have any vtal linux files on it, but the save game you use to mod the box does..
When i put the disc in, it didn't work straight out of the gate, however, I kept trying and finally I started playing with the controller attached to the X-box and Started hitting the 'A' (Green) button, As soon as I did this Mechassault started loading!!!! YAY!!! (I think hitting the 'A' button on the controller enables a forced start from a disc. I may be wrong however.)
That would be great news.
After I saw the Splash screen from mechassualt I ejected the disk without powering the xbox down. This forced the xbox to get passed the booting period and loaded the AVALAUNCH dashboard. When the avalaunch dashboard appeared it told me that it fixed a corrupt file. Since then my xbox has been running PRIME-O!!!
Thats just luck, when you eject the disk, the box reboots, and most of the time it goes trough the who;e rebooting routine again..

Greets,

Grove

Edited by grovespaz, 31 October 2006 - 03:56 PM.

#3 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 31 October 2006 - 07:05 PM

loobin,

I get the impression you really don't know what you are doing or talking about. It's nice that you want to help, but you haven't really explained the problem or its solution. Actually I don't really know what you're talking about.

There's no Linux on MA. Ejecting a disk with magic 'linux files' at the right time to fix error 9? huh?
A step by step explaination of what happened and how you fixed it would be appreciated. That is if you really do know what you did to fix your problem.

Edited by Movax, 31 October 2006 - 07:05 PM.

#4 loobindoobin

loobindoobin

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 01 November 2006 - 06:05 AM

Ok, Grove I appreciate the fast response. I did say that I was a new to this for the most part. I was wrong in saying that xbox's file system is Fat32, it is Xfat or FatX and I am sorry to all who read my post.

The only thing that I ever did to my Xbox was power on and play games. After that when it froze and I powered down, the xbox wouldn't even get passed the inital X-box screen to start loading files and booting the device. It would straight up pull an error code #9. I tried starting the box by pressing the eject button, and inserting a cd to see if it would autoplay. Tried all of my games except for MA. Upon inserting MA it simply took seriously 5 mins to boot, then after it booted I did eject the disk because it got passed the spot where it wouldn't before. Again, I really want to stress the fact that I am a little new to this, but this is a little much of a coincidence is it not? MA the same game used to mod (And in my previous post I did say vital linux files and grove again thank you. It actually is file exploits that give you a hole to get passed the xbox's Xfat security.)

Grove, I would appreciate you telling me if this is a possibility:

Xbox works fine for 3 days - freezes
I power off
Xbox no longer works - Superfro Error Page code 9 -
Changed IDE Cables
Xbox doesn't work for 3 days -
Same problem time after time -
Try to auto load games (Total = 12) - Xbox Error Page Code 9 -
Try MA and it boots? - The same game used to soft mod with an Exploit? (I am willing to say this is coincidence I am not trying to say it isn't. [Anymore] biggrin.gif )

This is where I would really like your input,

If MA were to have helped load something in the xbox, could it have helped simply load boot files,
and after the xbox booted could it have possibly debugged itself and found the error and fixed it, because when the dashboard loaded after all of the problems it told me that it fixed a corrupt file, (And i thought you could only get those when you are copying files or transferring data in which case i hadn't even done)
I could have no other way of explaining it, obviously there was a corrupt boot file. It wouldn't get passed the xbox screen when you first power on, the hd would just search, then stop fast. then search then stop, then search then stop. about 90 - 150 times i tried booting and it kept doing this.

I appreciate it grove, and anyone else willing to lend me their words to figure this out.

Tell me, in all conciousness, why this worked, when everyone on the web cannot find a fix to this error 9.
not trying to sound like a brat, do not mistake me.
but any way that i can understand everything a little better would help, I seek the knowledge.

Movax,

Why do you have to reply sounding like a dick? seriously dude I was willing to write this just in case it did help people out. If it didn't help you, then no need to talk, just a reply saying "This didn't work for me" would have been sufficient enough. I really can say it only makes me want to say mean things to you, and defend myself when i have nothing to defend. I wrote this in hopes that it would help other people. Obviously if it doesn't then i did do a poor job. This worked for me, i obviously can't explain it in detail but it did. Maybe the best way to put it is i don't know how the problem got fixed. I just know this game, this time, like 2 trys, the second was me hitting the A button. and it works. Maybe that could be another reason to post such a post, to try and understand the reason why it worked that one time when other times it wouldn't.
Movax i do come off sounding strong in this blip to you, however when you write like that it makes people want to write the wrong responses back to you. such as bad posts that weren't what you expected.
I'm willing to accept what i did wrong and take responsibility for what i said previously, just because I said that it was a possible error 9 fix doesn't mean that it is a for sure error 9 fix. for me in this particular time it did work. I obviously cannot explain this, but in the right circumstances in the future someone may come across the same basic problem, and turn to this post and maybe find something that worked.
I would rather try this instead of replacing a brand new HD
Hope is the only thing a person can have sometimes.
Forgive me for trying to give that back to a person.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users