9 replies to this topic

#1 juice3469

juice3469

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 66 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 12:52 AM

ok when i go to transfer data from my xbox to my PC my transfer rate is about 37 kb\sec. and my neighbor's transfer speed is transfering at 1000 kb\sec. y is that

#2 Tribal Prophet

Tribal Prophet

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 95 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 02:44 AM

No idea, but when I download from my XBox I get 11500 Kb/s When I upload however I only get 600. I've wondered the same thing.

I've noticed that using the new EvoX, I got these extreme differences. Before with the old one I was getting 2500 or so each way. I use a crossover ethernet cable to connect, so maybe switching to the static IP is what did it for me with the new EvoX.

Tribal Prophet

#3 mac21

mac21

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 170 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 06:26 PM

Is there any different programs that he/I could use to improve our transfer rate?

Thanks cool.gif

#4 DaGamePimp

DaGamePimp

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 September 2002 - 07:55 PM

Use Flash FXP and be sure to set the Xbox as a static IP , if you are using a router then try to keep the Xbox IP the next available IP [ example : pc#1 is 192.168.1.100 , pc#2 is 192.168.1.101 , make the Xbox 192.168.1.102 ] . Doing these things should help you increase your transfer rates .
-[DGP]-

#5 Xeero

Xeero

Welcome Back!

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 8,413 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 18 September 2002 - 02:03 PM

I really don't think having sequential IP addresses is going affect the transfer rate.................

#6 The Legendary Rob

The Legendary Rob

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,216 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 02:49 PM

QUOTE (mac21 @ Sep 16 2002, 09:26 AM)
Is there any different programs that he/I could use to improve our transfer rate?

Thanks cool.gif

yes different programs wil give different transfer speeds. i haven't heard much sticking with flash fxp tho after new evo-x came out

#7 DaGamePimp

DaGamePimp

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 06:18 PM

Yes , you are both correct here that nothing I suggested is fact , it is just what seems to work best for me and most of the people that I know . You can use it or not , the choice is yours obviously .
-- Setting the Xbox to a static IP is proven to work better in most cases however .
-- Why is everyone here always so anxious to point out the negative instead of trying to be helpful . Just the nature of the Internet I guess .
-[DGP]-

#8 GeordieCA

GeordieCA

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 07:50 PM

You haven't given any information about your network setup. I'll be guessing completely.
37 kb\sec sounds like a typical DSL speed. Are you sure your traffic isn't going outside and back in again, Rather than over you LAN?
I don't even know if you HAVE DSL.
Try :
- try 'tracert 192.168.0.160' (or whatever your xbox IP is) from a PC. If you get anything other than 1 hop, you've got a config problem.

And no, static vs dynamic IP or sequential IPs won't make any difference. You'll gain a little time at startup if you use a static IP. The time it takes the DHCP server to communicate with the xbox. Maybe a few milliseconds.

#9 DaGamePimp

DaGamePimp

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 943 posts

Posted 19 September 2002 - 10:14 PM

"And no, static vs dynamic IP or sequential IPs won't make any difference. You'll gain a little time at startup if you use a static IP. The time it takes the DHCP server to communicate with the xbox. Maybe a few milliseconds. "
----------------
Well under normal conditions I would agree with you but it does seem to help with the Xbox transfers [ could be an issue with the Evo-X code - who knows ] .
Good point about the hops though , finally somebody trying to help .
-[DGP]-

#10 GeordieCA

GeordieCA

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 03:52 AM

QUOTE (DaGamePimp @ Sep 19 2002, 09:14 PM)
"And no, static vs dynamic IP or sequential IPs won't make any difference. "
----------------
Well under normal conditions I would agree with you but it does seem to help with the Xbox transfers [ could be an issue with the Evo-X code - who knows ] .
-[DGP]-

Interesting. I guess I 'can' imagine a piece of code that would do that:

if(static_ip)
do one thing
else if (dynamic_ip)
do another

Can't imagine why anybody would do that though. I know i wouldn't bother writing a TCP stack. I'd either use the libs already there or go to sourceforge. Then I'm lazy and hate writing code when I don't have to.

I'd love to run some tests and see if there is a difference between the two. But I know I can't be bothered. So I'll just take your word for it.

Cheers

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users