29 replies to this topic

#1 Sir Crx

Sir Crx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:58 AM

Has anyone tried to open it yet? I have gotten the microphone area done but cant get the main part of it open for the life of me.

#2 Sir Crx

Sir Crx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 08:47 AM

Well it seems that I did it! Pictures with a breif summary of disassembly below:

Just like many of microsofts xbox equipment the parts are held together by a group of clips. These clips are plastic and are meant for 1 thing - to hold things together - NOT to be taken apart then put back together numerous times. Do not blame me for your own mistakes because I broke mine and I was very careful.

TAKING IT APART

Earpiece Removed

Remove the earpiece by pulling it off. There are 2 braces on each side to guide and secure your earpiece in place. These are held in by 1 triwing screw each. Remove them.

IPB Image
As you can see in this picture there are 2 clips in the front that make it secure. My method of opening was pulling quite hard with my finger nail and then inserting a small flathead. With my method I was suprised of how easily it popped open.

IPB Image
In this picture you can see the rear tabs that also need to be freed. You can also see the left tab is broken off because once the front tabs are off doesn't mean the back ones will. Too much force WILL break them.

Overview of the first thing you see once opened.
IPB Image
Battery, Speaker, Wire for mic, wire for LEDs.

IPB Image
Battery removed we see the pcb with the transmitter that MS so politly wont release the protocol of.

IPB Image
Behind the pcb is a simple button setup

IPB Image
As you can see this is the side that the buttons touch.

The microphone area is quite easy to disassemble as its held together by small clips.
IPB Image
This image you can see these side clips are relativly strong and have held quite well to prying it open.

IPB Image
The other side doesnt hold to well and breaks in numerous spots.

IPB Image
You can pull back the rubber piece and pull out the pcb for the led's. Held on by a ribbon clip.

IPB Image
Both are removable. My xbox lights are green and will stay green. Ill leave the obvious 'change-to-blue-leds' to someone else. I did that to my old xbox...

80% Disassembled

Hope you enjoyed it. Pardon for the camera blur in some pictures. There isn't much to look at so I didn't really feel the need to take everything apart and take pictures. I went as far as I wanted and felt confident in. Plus once you get past the clips you can look for yourself. smile.gif

I just got this headset today and there is one tremendous problem I hate about it and that will follow in my project with this exact headset. I will post the project with pictures in the next few days to come.

MOD EDIT: Added to the Tutorials.

Edited by RDC, 16 February 2007 - 10:32 PM.

#3 FoxRacR17

FoxRacR17

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,021 posts
  • Interests:Ummmmmmm.........XBOX??!! And GIRLS!!!
  • Xbox Version:v1.1
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 04 November 2006 - 07:41 PM

Thanks alot bro, very nice pictures and descriptions. I guess i'm going to be one of those "Change-to-blue" guys that you are speaking of because now i'm going to change mine to blue! haha, thanks!

#4 Sir Crx

Sir Crx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 05 November 2006 - 02:00 AM

NP! Post up pics in here once youre done!

#5 Sir Crx

Sir Crx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:18 AM

Man, I thought this would be put in the faq but I guess people don't really want to mod the headset. sleeping.gif

#6 xzenor

xzenor

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 06 November 2006 - 03:49 AM

Well, I plan on modding it for sure!!! Into a pair of sound deadening headphones. Here is my first one..... IPB Image I have a decoder that converts optical input into 5.1 surround, I'm planning on getting a pair of surround sound headphones and installing one of these wireless headsets into one.

#7 belke

belke

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 481 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 07 November 2006 - 04:36 AM

QUOTE(xzenor @ Nov 5 2006, 08:56 PM) View Post

Well, I plan on modding it for sure!!! Into a pair of sound deadening headphones. Here is my first one..... IPB Image I have a decoder that converts optical input into 5.1 surround, I'm planning on getting a pair of surround sound headphones and installing one of these wireless headsets into one.

or you could just buy these and save some time wink.gif

http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1138084404976

#8 xzenor

xzenor

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 04:56 AM

Well I don't feel I wasted any time at all. I admit, my current mod is rather cheap. But its a prototype. I'm going for TRUE 5.1 surround sound with my next mod. This........ http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1138084404976 I'm sorry, looks just as cheap as mine, and I made mine for free.

Thanks, but I'll pass.

#9 Sir Crx

Sir Crx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:33 AM

QUOTE(belke @ Nov 6 2006, 09:43 PM) View Post

or you could just buy these and save some time wink.gif

http://www.bestbuy.c...d=1138084404976

Now where is the fun in that? smile.gif

Ill be busy this upcoming week so when I have some free time ill finish my mods then post them in here.

Edited by Sir Crx, 07 November 2006 - 09:34 AM.

#10 Sir Crx

Sir Crx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 09:56 AM

Seems to be a little of a sleepless night. Here is a update to taking it apart.

Earphone pad:
For a brand new headset its snug on there but if you use a small flathead to pry in a circle it will come loose. OR if you pry in a triangle with your fingers it will also come off with a little force. The worst thing that can happen here is that if you have gross long fingernails it may rip the pad. smile.gif

IPB Image
IPB Image
IPB Image

Last 2 are of what it looks like with a black pad instead of grey.

I kept mine grey though.

Edited by Sir Crx, 07 November 2006 - 09:57 AM.

#11 PayJ

PayJ

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:29 PM

so im guessing the headset talks to the controller which then talks to the console to tell which player the head set is. What is the wireless freq the xbox uses...802.11b/g or bluetooth...or neither?

#12 xzenor

xzenor

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 03:30 AM

No Payj, the wireless headset hooks up directly to the console, just like the controllers. And has about the same range. As for the freq. I have no idea. But I did hear that the Razor phone might be interfearing with the freq.

#13 hawkplaya90@yahoo.com

hawkplaya90@yahoo.com

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 09:47 PM

can u describe more how to ipen the mic part. I tried bt its kinda hard and i cant get it open, and yes im they guys whos gona change the leds to blue

#14 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 08 November 2006 - 10:54 PM

^^^ Not if I do it first.. mwahaha!!!

#15 hawkplaya90@yahoo.com

hawkplaya90@yahoo.com

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 45 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 02:14 AM

ok i got the mic piece opened up but there seems to be a problem with putting blue smd leds in. I checked the voltage ont the LED pins with a multimeter but it wouldnt stay on long enogh(, stupic me i should have connected it with the console to keep a steady green light) but anyway i then hooked up my ossciloscope and found that only around 2V was being put out. So the problem is that unless you have special Blue SMDs that run on a less than normal voltage, which is usually aroun 3.3V, the LEDS wont turn on. However i will try testing the voltage once the device is connected, it might be higher

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users