7 replies to this topic

#1 datimms

datimms

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 04 November 2006 - 02:50 PM

The lights are on, but nobody's home

During the use of the xecuter ODD adapter V2 to attempt the flash of my drive, the ejection mechanism (motor?) has died. However, power to the drive still exists and flashing was possible to xtreme 4.2a.

Yesterday I attempted to flash my ms25 samsung from original to xtreme 4.2a using the xecuter ODD connection kit v2 (refered to herein as CK). The drive was powered through a spare mowlex connector from my PC PSU to the CK and from the CK to the ODD, and the SATA was connected to the motherboard.

With the CK switched off, I powered on the PC and let it boot into DOS from the floppy. I then switched on the CK, and in order to check it was OK, pressed the eject controller. Nothing happened so I pressed it again, suddenly after pressing it a few times the drive popped open slightly but then stopped. I did not run mtkflash at all.

Worried by this I plugged it back to the xbox motherboard (at this point no updates have been applied), power xbox on and dashboard loads to the main screen. Pressing the eject button or choosing the eject option brings up the message "opening" but nothing happens, pulling out the drive myself to the end point displays "drive open" and pushing it in displays "closing". I have attempted to push the slider all the way across to raise the laser mechanism (with console off), turn on, and the drive does not eject.

In doing this, I noticed the laser makes a short noise on first power. I tried manual insertion of disk but the disk does not spin up.

I then connected the ODD to my motherboard, using the 360 power supply. Boot into DOS and read the orig.bin. I made several copies, and used "make x42.bin" to patch the key across as described in the readme. I then applied the x42a.bin and everything went smoothly.

But my drive still wont eject or read, so I can't flash back to orig.bin (you need the 0800.iso to be read due to 4.2's flash protection)

BTW- the CK LEDs still light up and I cannot see how I could've put the connectors in the wrong way (I tried to check and unless you force it, it would be impossible!), so the CK didn't die...

Does anyone have any ideas about this problem, Flashing back to orig.bin or even breathing life into the eject motor?

If I was to take it back to the store for a replacement, do you think MS could/would track me down through my serial number and Live account? This is baring in mind that the xtreme firmware is still installed. It would be a pain to lose my hotmail account and passport.

Samsung drives seem to be in short supply so it looks like I'm forced into a Hitachi- can this be done with respect to the new Live update (which I havn't installed yet). I have my original.bin

Your replies are greatfully received- maybe someone could also post this to TX forums on my behalf because they aren't accepting new registrations. Thanks

#2 datimms

datimms

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 06 November 2006 - 08:43 PM

Update, I successfully used Andy Hewitt's bad flash recovery method to re-flash the original bin back to the drive.

I still however cannot eject the tray or read a disk.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this working? I have searched the forums extensively and all I can find is problems with ejecting after a bad flash. My problem started before I even got a chance to flash!

#3 stowelly

stowelly

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:26 AM

QUOTE(datimms @ Nov 6 2006, 07:50 PM) View Post

Update, I successfully used Andy Hewitt's bad flash recovery method to re-flash the original bin back to the drive.

I still however cannot eject the tray or read a disk.

Does anyone have any ideas on how to get this working? I have searched the forums extensively and all I can find is problems with ejecting after a bad flash. My problem started before I even got a chance to flash!

i have this problem with this drive using the xecutor kit, i actually sent my drive to andy ands he verified that the kit fried it (aparently the kit set fire to his drive). id really like to know how to fix this (although i no longer have the drive) i think xecutor really could have done with testing the sammys properly before saying it was possible to use them.... i have a thread on xecutors website under the name compound if u feel like contributing to it, they havent been responding to my questions

(requires a login) http://teamxecuter.e...ead.php?t=43670

#4 myfranco

myfranco

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 November 2006 - 02:29 AM

Well those connectivity kits may cause such troubles.Better to not use them during flashing with sammys.
This is my personal opinion.

#5 datimms

datimms

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 12:41 PM

Stowelly, I saw your post on tx before I wrote about my problem. It's interesting that your drive ejects constantly yet mine wont open. When I bought the connectivity kit i was under the impression that it would be safe for my samsung. In fact that's why I bought it, I wish I hadn't used it.. hindsight is a wonderful thing!

What did you do about replacing your drive? Samsungs are rare and the hitachis seem easily available, however I've been reading about the E66 and it seems that swapping the brand would not be a good idea. I don't currently have access to live so it won't be an immediate problem but I don't want to run into it in the future.

I can't sign up to TX forums for some reason so I cant bump up your post, sorry.

Edited by datimms, 07 November 2006 - 12:43 PM.

#6 stevenh78

stevenh78

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 34 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 01:31 PM

Did yous by chance have the debug switch on in the CK board?
I think it states in the TX site, or the store sites that it's only compatible with Hitachi?

#7 stowelly

stowelly

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 217 posts

Posted 07 November 2006 - 06:48 PM

dont think it was in debug mode but it very possible, i managed to get a samsung out of someones dead box for next to nothing

although i think if u change the hitachi to report ms25 u should be able to get going with it

#8 datimms

datimms

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 6 posts

Posted 08 November 2006 - 12:11 PM

Yeah same for me, the debug switch might have been pressed in (not by me but possible during shipping or something?). I have heard that this can mess up the drive.

stevenh im aware that the mode b is only compatible with hitachis, however that's all it says- theres no kind of warning that it will fry your drive if its turned on.

think im gonna try and get hold of a second hand console. or might be able to get the store to swap it over if I'm lucky. i wish i was jammy enough to know someone with a bust xbox!

edit
actually the debug can't have been pressed or the debug lights would have been on. so no, it wasnt that.

Edited by datimms, 08 November 2006 - 12:12 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users