10 replies to this topic

#1 Steve O

Steve O

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 09:03 AM

Hi folks,

I have been striding around to obtain some information about a PS2 emulator for the XBox.

Unfortunately I haven't found anything.

If I'm right and there's no one by the time, what do you guys think about a PS2 emulator for the XBox?

In my opinion the guys from Sony could then pack their things and resignate! tongue.gif

Wouldn't it be possible to create an emu just like the one for the SNES?

#2 N00bvin

N00bvin

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,617 posts

Posted 16 September 2002 - 12:54 PM

From my understanding, they likelyhood that there will ever be one is nill...

...but it's okay to dream, I guess.

It would take just TOO much power that the Xbox can't put out...

#3 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 06:14 AM

You would need a 3.x Ghz Xbox to get decent emulation of the PS/2.

#4 Tom M.

Tom M.

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 08:20 AM

3 GHz?

I dont think so. It is not about CPU power. Playstation 2 is a completely different architecture that uses video memory with 48 GB/s!!!! It has VU units that outperform Xbox CPU 3 times, and also these units are extremely paralleled architecture nothing compared to PC.

Show me a PC that can do this nowadays! There is no way to emulate PS2 in decent speed, and will not be for at least another 5 years. It is simply too different to PC architecture. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

#5 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 11:08 AM

QUOTE (Tom M. @ Sep 17 2002, 07:20 AM)
3 GHz?

I dont think so. It is not about CPU power. Playstation 2 is a completely different architecture that uses video memory with 48 GB/s!!!! It has VU units that outperform Xbox CPU 3 times, and also these units are extremely paralleled architecture nothing compared to PC.

Show me a PC that can do this nowadays! There is no way to emulate PS2 in decent speed, and will not be for at least another 5 years. It is simply too different to PC architecture. laugh.gif laugh.gif laugh.gif

Hey, I just threw that out.

Typically emulators require about 10x the clock rate of the emulated chipset.

Add to that support chips, parallel processing, etc.

While mame does this quite well, the startup screens often show that there are 4 - 8 CPU/Sound/Video chips being emulated at a time. (Yes in parallel!)

In turn most of these are operate in the 4 - 12 mHz range, however. laugh.gif

Given the PS/2's processor you -MIGHT- have a chance at doing some emulation if your Xbox would run at 3gHz, but that is a starting point.

It also assumes that you could translate the API's or calls so a lot of the video processing would not have to be handled in emulation, but rather by a rather powerful video processor.

An 3Ghz SMP setup with hyperthreading and a wiz bang 256mb Nvidia GeForce 5, -MIGHT- give you enough horsepower to start.... however I'd be looking to upgrade to 5Ghz ASAP to get an emulator to run correctly.

Hmmm... I'll just go pick up a PS/2 instead, much cheaper.

#6 limbfilter

limbfilter

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 443 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 17 September 2002 - 04:59 PM

remember this....All of todays processors are only 32 bit. PS2 is 128 bit. Don't go on Mhz alone...If it was possible to emulate don't you think developers would just do that instead of porting? Go Buy a PS2.

#7 opjose

opjose

X-S Transcendental

• Members
  • 6,809 posts

Posted 17 September 2002 - 08:14 PM

QUOTE (limbfilter @ Sep 17 2002, 03:59 PM)
remember this....All of todays processors are only 32 bit. PS2 is 128 bit. Don't go on Mhz alone...If it was possible to emulate don't you think developers would just do that instead of porting? Go Buy a PS2.

Yes another good point.

#8 LiquidZero

LiquidZero

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 332 posts

Posted 18 September 2002 - 05:28 AM

QUOTE (limbfilter @ Sep 17 2002, 03:59 PM)

The 'bit' amount of a system is quite irrelevant these days though. Of course, MHz is also not a good yardstick for performance. Best performance gauge that I could think of would be whetstone/dhrystone, memory/bus bandwidth, and about a billion other factors. See AMD vs. Intel debate for more info. smile.gif

#9 KJL89

KJL89

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 102 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 08:09 PM

the dreamcast has a 129 bit proccessor. and it is better than the ps2. ps2 sucks.

#10 alee132

alee132

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 317 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 10:00 PM

QUOTE (KJL89 @ Sep 20 2002, 07:09 PM)
the dreamcast has a 129 bit proccessor. and it is better than the ps2. ps2 sucks.

Damn right, down with psPOO

#11 9093120340

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 20 September 2002 - 10:21 PM

Yeah but the gamez r el cheapo amigo!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users