Photo

Howto: Get Xbox Media Center Extender Working (my Steps Inside)

• Please log in to reply
No replies to this topic

#1 SScorpio

SScorpio

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 103 posts

Posted 09 November 2006 - 08:06 PM

I've been happily running the Xbox Media Center Extender for over a year until just this week when a trojan took my system down. I remembered having issue getting this to work original and ran into them again. I worked through the issues and will post the fixes here for everyone to see and hopefully help some people.

There are several questions pertaining to the extender; however, they are all in different boards and there is no real correct place that this falls under.

For the people asking about/for remotes. The Extender kit includes the standard Xbox DVD IR dongle and standard Xbox DVD remote will work while missing some features of the extra buttons but I've been able to do everything you've tried with just the standard remote. A universal remote set to a RCA DVD player should also work since that's what Microsoft's DVD remote outputs.

Steps:

Install Windows Media Center Edition 2005 and download everything for it off of Windows Update. You must connect to Windows Update via IE because there are several updates that are "Recommend" that you need. These are the Windows Media Center "Rollup" Updates. Just keep checking after each reboot to see if there is anything new available.

Now install the Media Center Extender software that comes with the kit onto your PC.

Microsoft released a Rollup for the Extender software and it is talked about here: http://www.microsoft...er/support.mspx
You can download the update here: http://download.micr...Linksysv101.exe

Be sure to install it since it fixes and issue where content protected channels wouldn't stream I.E. HBO and Showtime.

At this point I was able to successfully pair the Extender with my PC; however, the Extender would fail when it attempted to connect. I was able to get around this by hacking the terminal services.

There is a patch online that uses a DLL from a beta of XP SP2 that does not have the limit. I'm not sure about providing a link but it from a site called Sala Source (and no it's not a .com, or .net). So just Google or terminal server patch and I'm sure you'll be able to find it.

At this point my extender connected and starting working without issue.

If you still have problems there are two things to check:
1. Your PC cannot be joined to a Domain.
2. You must have fast user switching enabled.

Post a message if you are still having problems and hopefully I or someone else will be able to give you a hand.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users