mrcartman91

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 10 November 2006 - 02:08 AM

I'm looking into buying an X3 modchip but i need to know a few things before i do.

1. I have an old xbox dvd drive, power supply, motherboard, etc. everything EXCEPT the hard drive. i was wondering if i need to get the eeprom or if i can boot up an unlocked hard drive using a mod chip.

2. If i install on my current xbox while i have a softmod installed what are the risks?\

3. What are the actual benefits of a modchip over a softmod?

#2 Allegro1

Allegro1

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 04:56 PM

If you install the X3, you will be able to install a plain PC drive into your box. Check the lists for which drives support locking if you need to play xbox live, otherwise just about any IDE drive over 6GB will work. You will have to carfully read the tutorials out there, but once you have the chip properly installed and the BIOS flashed, you will be able to do a fresh install of everyting with AutoInstaller Deluxe or Slayer's. Do some web searching on these and you'll save a lot of grief.

You can't have a softmod in your box now if it doesn't have a hard drive in it.

Installing a modchip or doing a TSOP flash makes it much more convenient to change out hard drives, and makes you less vulnerable to a total screwup if you do something like erase or corrupt your dashboard or something else that is important on your hard drive. All you have to do is to start the box with AID and reinstall or ftp your backup, or if worse comes to worse, rebuild everything.

BTW, you don't need to include words like "important", "urgent", "desperate", etc. It tends to drive away those who want to help.

#3 mrcartman91

mrcartman91

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 38 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:44 PM

well i have a softmodded xbox and an old one without a hard drive. so as long as im not playing xbox live i dont have to like the dirve?

Edited by mrcartman91, 10 November 2006 - 08:45 PM.

#4 Allegro1

Allegro1

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 208 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:13 PM

QUOTE(mrcartman91 @ Nov 10 2006, 11:51 AM) View Post

well i have a softmodded xbox and an old one without a hard drive. so as long as im not playing xbox live i dont have to like the dirve?

I don't understand the second part of your reply, but if you are asking whether or not can you stick any HD into a chipped xbox then yes you can since you are not concerned with XBL. You can probably pick up a stock HD in the buy sell trade section for just about nothing, but I've seen 200 GB drives as low as $50 recently.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users