• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:30 PM

(N-America) October Sales: 220k Xbox 360 consoles
Posted by XanTium | November 10 15:30 EST

From gamasutra.com:

NPD's October video game hardware and software sales for North American have been released, and game sales actually saw a disappointingly slight 1% increase to $369 million, with total industry sales (including hardware and peripherals) up 16% to $642 million.

In terms of hardware numbers, the Nintendo DS dominated, selling 360,000 for the month.
The PlayStation 2 came in at around 235,000, with the Xbox 360 slightly disappointingly selling just under 220,000 units, the Game Boy Advance just under 170,000, and the PSP a marginally lackluster 130,000, almost a third the tally of the DS.

Read More: gamasutra.com

#2 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Computers
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:47 PM

People still buy PS2's ??

It looks like a lot of people do.

I'm dissapointed in the N. America. How are we suppossed to represent Microsoft? Japan hates them, and neither do we ?

#3 jpickett

jpickett

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 5 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:54 PM

Any 'normal' person that goes to buy a video game console where the PS2 is out of reach are likely to pick up a cheap PS2 instead I suppose.

What I thought was most interesting about the story was the dismal increase in software sales. I think it's due to two reasons:

1) The new gen games are over the typical $50 threshold that has for so long been the average "high" price for titles. I know the $60 and in some cases $70 price tags have made me shy away from a few titles. So even though there was a 1% (basically unchanged) increase in sales, I'd suspect the number of titles sold actually potentially decreased...

2) With online service such as Gamefly, I don't really need to buy too many titles. Maybe the few that I play "religiously", but for a great many titles, I simply rent them for a month or so and send it back. Still a LOT cheaper than actually buying the game or renting it several times from Blockbuster...

Anyway, just a few ideas..

#4 incognegro

incognegro

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,519 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 10 November 2006 - 08:55 PM

Not bad for a $400 system, I would expect less since all the other systems is half the price, if not, less.

#5 dinzy

dinzy

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 135 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:27 PM

I think this shows people are still waiting to pick their next gen system. The Wii could very well sell enough systems to virtually tie M$. Perhaps GoW will act as x360's first system seller. If not then it will come down to GTA4 and Halo3 to see if the system can hit some sort of stride sales wise. Whatever happens, October is not November but it is starting to look like M$ didn't make too much use of the year lead time they had. They are way below all original sales estimates and they are faced with the prospect of being labeled as old news once the ps3 and Wii hit the market.

We'll see

#6 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 10 November 2006 - 09:31 PM

People in the market for a last gen system are not the same people in the market for a next gen system.

Several people have asked me what console they should buy for under $150 and the answer is an easy "PS2"

While I personally don't care for it and would rather play Dreamcast, Xbox, or GC over it the fact remains that
-The Dreamcast is long dead
-The Xbox is essentially dead now that the 360 is out (except for modding but Joe consumer isn't a modder)
-The Gamcube has a weak catalog with the exception of 1st party titles

That leaves the PS2.. the PS2 has the strongest catalog and will continue to have a strong catalog for the next two or three years. Publishers don't walk away from an install base that large. the PS1 proved to last 4 to 5 years past the release of the PS2.. there is no quest that the PS2 will do the same past the PS3 release.

----
As for those in the market for a next gen console. I do truly believe that most consumers are no fool, most households will only have one console, at least until prices start to drop so they will want to try all three of the next gen offerings before deciding which one to spend their money on. All three of the consoles are very different in their offerings, The Wii concentrates on local multiplayer and gameplay, the Xbox 360 concentrates on online multiplayer and graphics and the PS3 concentrates on Multimedia and graphics.

I suspect that once the kiosks start popping up for the PS3 and Wii, once those consoles are released and people start playing them and can start forming up front and honest opinions you will start to see more Xbox 360 consoles selling.

#7 Cauhauna

Cauhauna

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 10:29 PM

^cosign

#8 garlm

garlm

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts

Posted 10 November 2006 - 11:14 PM

"While I personally don't care for it and would rather play Dreamcast, Xbox, or GC over it the fact remains that
-The Dreamcast is long dead
-The Xbox is essentially dead now that the 360 is out (except for modding but Joe consumer isn't a modder)
-The Gamcube has a weak catalog with the exception of 1st party titles"

Well said. Where the ps2 figures in, in my mind, is
-The PS2. Average game quality is pretty weak, but with a massive catalog and 6 years on the market, there are certainly enough (now reasonably priced) games to make a 130 dollar system seem like quite a good idea.

Plus, maybe people are digging the whole silver ps2 thing.

#9 lesman

lesman

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 237 posts
  • Interests:I like computers. I like video games. I like Pepsi. I like playing with toys. mostly I LOVE MY WIFE
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:30 AM

I honestly don't understand why people are sitting there, racking up PS2's like this...I'm not one to be all "conspiracy theorist".....

.....but wouldn't it be wild if Sony shipped out, then rebought PS2's....just to ship them out again and buy them just to get sales numbers up?

Ha ha, I don't believe that's what's happening, but I really don't see how the PS2 can be selling like that still, unless tons of people's PS2's are breaking left and right.

#10 rasstar

rasstar

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 11 November 2006 - 12:41 AM

I am sure the sale will pick up in November and December . The system is $400.00 so the cheaper stuff will always sell faster. DO people really think the $600.00 PS3 will sell as fast after launch? I doubt it....

#11 ZildjianKX

ZildjianKX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,048 posts

Posted 11 November 2006 - 01:17 AM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Nov 10 2006, 11:38 AM) View Post

People in the market for a last gen system are not the same people in the market for a next gen system.
I suspect that once the kiosks start popping up for the PS3 and Wii, once those consoles are released and people start playing them and can start forming up front and honest opinions you will start to see more Xbox 360 consoles selling.

I just wanted to say, that is the best post I've read on Xbox-Scene in long, long time.

pop.gif

Edited by ZildjianKX, 11 November 2006 - 01:18 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users