made the Xbox 360 compatible with PC USB controllers i.e the ones
that allow gamers to use console controllers on the PC like MayFlash
http://www.mayflash.com/ did with thier 3 in 1 Magic Joy Box or thier
Super Dual Box adapters. I think someone out there can make a driver
to install this option to the Xbox 360 similar to the backward compatibility
CD installation. Maybe someone out ther smarter than me can find this
solution, in the meantime maybe twistedsymphony can make a PS2
Controller To Xbox 360 adapter so I can use a Playstation 2 controller
on Xbox 360 and the XP Joy Box so I can use my old Xbox Arcade stick.

#2 hamwbone

hamwbone

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,775 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:53 AM

so twisted is the resident on demand controller maker? rolleyes.gif hmmm... i hope he knows about this biggrin.gif biggrin.gif

#3 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderator
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 12 November 2006 - 06:06 AM

you sent me an email about this... for the benefit of others this is my response:

While I appreciate your enthusiasm and I think your ideas are good ones they're just not really possible.

My Saturn to 360 adapter could never be legally or financially mass produced for the simple reason that it requires parts from an officially licensed Xbox 360 controller. These parts can only be purchased through MS and MS only sells them to people who have been approved to manufacture 3rd party products (and they obviously wont be approving any adapter). Meaning that the only way to do it would be to hack up up 360 controllers for the parts which would not only make the adapters FAR too expensive but also illegal.

This is the same for ANY controller adapter on the 360, so I would imagine we wont see any adapters available until the controller security it hacked or possible never see any at all.

Making an Xbox 1 or PC USB converter have their own problems though.

a PC USB converter just isn't possible because there is no standardized format, basically the USB adapter is recognized as a USB human interface device which the PC then finds drivers for... It's literally impossible to install PC drivers on an Xbox 360, it would be next to impossible to do in a stand alone adapter, essentially your adapter would have to have windows installed as well as a complete catalog of USB HID drivers... so your adapter would cost more then a PC and be just as big as a PC... not exactly feasible.

The Xbox 1 controllers are just USB HID devices, they have the benefit of using a known profile which means your adapter would only have to work with one protocol... so a whole PC wouldn't be needed just a single USB host with the proper drivers coded for it.

The problem here is that no such chip exists for sale to consumers. The only chips like this available are made to be used on PC Motherboards and require special equipment to install, furthermore they are only sold in bulk (1000+ units at a time) and the knowledge required to program these chips is very specific... many professionals base their entire life's career on this particular type of knowledge and it is far beyond my own capabilities as well as those of the people I know. This is why companies like Mayflash have been able to adapt the Xbox 1 to other consoles in the past, they have the tools and the financing to buy chips in bulk and hire programmers. Even still they wouldn't be capable of adapting it to the 360 for the aforementioned security chips that can only be purchased through MS.

It might be possible for someone to build a PS1/2 to Xbox 360 adapter if they hacked up a 360 controller for parts, but it would still be a much more difficult process then the Saturn adapter. Even this has it's own problems. Adapters tend to introduce lag between when a button is pushed and when the console finally receives the signal. I worked for nearly a month to optimize my code in the Saturn adapter to make it fast enough where it was usable. Making a PS2 to 360 adapter to plug other adapters into would undoubtedly be too laggy to be worth playing. the responsiveness would just be too slow.

As for "an RDC" RDC is a member of the Xbox-Scene forums who helped me build my Saturn adapter by lending advice and helping me brainstorm solutions to the various problems I ran into. He's helped others with technical problems as well. I imagine he'd be more then happy to help you if you attempted to build your own adapter. Last I heard he was attempting to duplicate my work on the Saturn adapter.

I've given a whole lot of thought to the things you've suggested. I actually wanted to build an Xbox 1 to Xbox 360 adapter after I finished the Saturn adapter, but once I got into the research I realized it was just not possible without heavy corporate financing, thousands of dollars worth of equipment and a deep knowledge on USB host programming. which I nor most hobbyists have access to. the legal and security implications prevent any corporate entity from doing that as well.

You are not the first person to suggest these things, I appreciate the suggestion but they're just next to impossible and not feasible at all. you'd be much better off adapting the controllers directly, some controllers (like the Xbox 1) just can't be adapted with consumer equipment.

also I'm moving this to the hardware/general chat.

#4 loomp

loomp

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 12 November 2006 - 05:15 PM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Nov 11 2006, 11:13 PM) View Post

you sent me an email about this... for the benefit of others this is my response:
also I'm moving this to the hardware/general chat.

the RDC is a typo I ment RSR board (your little blackbox) kinda like
Ralph Baer's (the inventer of videogames) brown box which became
the Magnavox Odyssey his website is http://www.ralphbaer.com/

But I getting off topic so the PC idea is a bust, too bad the USB
Controller Adapters don't work like the IPOD or PSP does on Xbox
360, but one question that really was't ansewed was do you think
it possible for you to make a blackbox for hooking a Playstation1/2
controller to the XB 360 like you did with the Sega Saturn controller,
if you had the schematics for the PSX/PS2 controllers? Maybe you
can find them on the web or someone can send it to you. Not only
could I play my PSX/PS2 controllers on XB 360 but I could use
my Xbox1 to PS2 Controller Adapter to use my Xbox1 Arcade stick.
Someone on this site used a wired controller on a Street Fighter 2
Arcade stick, maybe he knows.

#5 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderator
  • 10,465 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 13 November 2006 - 03:02 AM

QUOTE(loomp @ Nov 12 2006, 11:22 AM) View Post

...but one question that really was't ansewed was do you think
it possible for you to make a blackbox for hooking a Playstation1/2
controller to the XB 360 like you did with the Sega Saturn controller,
if you had the schematics for the PSX/PS2 controllers? Maybe you
can find them on the web or someone can send it to you. Not only
could I play my PSX/PS2 controllers on XB 360 but I could use
my Xbox1 to PS2 Controller Adapter to use my Xbox1 Arcade stick.
Someone on this site used a wired controller on a Street Fighter 2
Arcade stick, maybe he knows.

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Nov 12 2006, 12:13 AM) View Post

...It might be possible for someone to build a PS1/2 to Xbox 360 adapter if they hacked up a 360 controller for parts, but it would still be a much more difficult process then the Saturn adapter. Even this has it's own problems. Adapters tend to introduce lag between when a button is pushed and when the console finally receives the signal. I worked for nearly a month to optimize my code in the Saturn adapter to make it fast enough where it was usable. Making a PS2 to 360 adapter to plug other adapters into would undoubtedly be too laggy to be worth playing. the responsiveness would just be too slow....

#6 Geirskogul

Geirskogul

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 13 November 2006 - 07:23 AM

This shit deserves it's own sticky. People keep asking for Xbox 1 to Xbox 360 controller adapters. It's gotta stop.

Please? sad.gif

Edited by Geirskogul, 13 November 2006 - 07:24 AM.

#7 loomp

loomp

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 02:46 AM

QUOTE(Geirskogul @ Nov 13 2006, 12:30 AM) View Post

This shit deserves it's own sticky. People keep asking for Xbox 1 to Xbox 360 controller adapters. It's gotta stop.
Please? :(

I thought there was no cursing on this site but I'll leave that up to moderator.
Anyway to clear the air on the controller adapter controversy I not the only one
has put post about controller adapters, many others have, not because the whant
to play Xbox1 controllers on Xbox 360, (that would be retarded) no they whant to
use there Arcade, RaceWheel, Guitar, ETC controller. Lets face it when it comes to
Fighting, Racing, ETC, the Xbox 360 contoller does not cut it, and the fact that the
people at Microsoft have not giving great companies like Hori, Pelican, and Logitech
rights to make wireless controllers, instead have given it to Mad Catz who make just
complete garbage (like the brand new memory card that works one time or the controller
that blow up you controller port) I think its the same Microsoft idiots who work on the
backward compatibility (barbie's horse adventure give me a break). A lot of people
like Geirskogul here think controller adapters are dumb, but I'll tell you whats dumb
using a hacksaw to cuting up a $400.00 Xbox 360 and making it look like an Racecar,
Ashtray,or whatever. These people ether A. don't pay bills B. mooch off there Parents
C. make more money working than me D. Have High Credit card bills. Its one thing
to hack up a controller its another thing to hack up a perfectly good XB 360 is insane,
unless you puting a modchip in it.

#8 No_Name

No_Name

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 04:04 AM

Logitech are in direct competation with MS for peoples money in the PC accesspries market so they would they be willing to pay the licensing fee to MS to be able to make a controller?

Why dont you just grow up and stop being mad at the world because you cant get things your way.

The whole BC thing was always going to be hard from the word go and the fact they where able to get some of the more smple games working i.e. Barbie horse adventure is not an idiotic thing but a good thing. The more games they can get to work the more chance they have of getting alot more games working.

If a company want to make a controller or the like they pay for the rights to do it and unless they are willing to comply with the rules of that contract they wont be able to just make anything for the 360 so there is nothing that can be done and complaining online wont help at all.

#9 Geirskogul

Geirskogul

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 86 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 November 2006 - 05:17 AM

QUOTE(loomp @ Nov 14 2006, 02:53 AM) View Post

I thought there was no cursing on this site but I'll leave that up to moderator.
Anyway to clear the air on the controller adapter controversy I not the only one
has put post about controller adapters, many others have, not because the whant
to play Xbox1 controllers on Xbox 360, (that would be retarded) no they whant to
use there Arcade, RaceWheel, Guitar, ETC controller. Lets face it when it comes to
Fighting, Racing, ETC, the Xbox 360 contoller does not cut it, and the fact that the
people at Microsoft have not giving great companies like Hori, Pelican, and Logitech
rights to make wireless controllers, instead have given it to Mad Catz who make just
complete garbage (like the brand new memory card that works one time or the controller
that blow up you controller port) I think its the same Microsoft idiots who work on the
backward compatibility (barbie's horse adventure give me a break). A lot of people
like Geirskogul here think controller adapters are dumb, but I'll tell you whats dumb
using a hacksaw to cuting up a $400.00 Xbox 360 and making it look like an Racecar,
Ashtray,or whatever. These people ether A. don't pay bills B. mooch off there Parents
C. make more money working than me D. Have High Credit card bills. Its one thing
to hack up a controller its another thing to hack up a perfectly good XB 360 is insane,
unless you puting a modchip in it.

Listen here! Everybody has their own opinions about what's "cool" to do. If you don't like people modding their cases, then don't. It's not YOUR problem if people do it. You stick with your ideas about impossible modifications, and they (and I) will stick to things we appreciate, like painting and lighting up 360's. You don't call me dumb, and I won't call you dumb.

And I said that trying to modify the Xbox 1 controller is infeasable because it IS. And Arcade, [sic] RaceWheel, Guitar, etc. controller modifications ARE modifications of the xbox 1 controller, but in a different shape. You want your Xbox 1 racing wheel to work with the 360? It's the same damned hack as modifying a normal Xbox 1 controller. And about the "barbie horse adventures" BC issue? It uses the same engine as about 14 other games on the BC list. They didn't specifically code for fucking Barbie Horse Adventures, they coded for some other game, and BHA happened to work as well. Please, know a topic before rambling off about it.

And creating some type of [sic] driver CD to put on the 360 is a little different than a modchip running it's own software. A type of installation like you're suggesting requires knowledge and procedures of the software running on the 360, and right now MS charges companies for that type of knowledge of installation (like for XBLA games/full game updates/etc). Creating something like that without paying the fee is, in a sense, wholly illegal. Doubly so because you're doing it to bypass a second fee, the peripheral security chip "licensing/use" fee. Madcatz had to pay them to create that 3rd party controller, so someone making software to bypass that is no different than someone making software to bypass activation of XP.

Edited by Geirskogul, 14 November 2006 - 05:21 AM.

#10 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderator
  • 10,465 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:58 PM

QUOTE(Geirskogul @ Nov 13 2006, 01:30 AM) View Post

Please? sad.gif

it is in the sticky... in-fact it's the very first question in the FAQ

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Nov 21 2005, 10:24 AM) View Post

--==FAQ==--

Peripherals:
Do Xbox 1 Controllers work on an Xbox 360?
NO, Even with a USB dongle adapter, Xbox 1 controllers do not work on an Xbox 360.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users