clinkermaker

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 14 November 2006 - 12:55 AM

Ok, I'll try not to lose anyone through this.
I have a friend who had 2 xboxes and he wanted me to soft mod one and fix the other.
One was fine (Xbox A) and one had a shitty paint job and was screwed (Xbox cool.gif.
I had a softmodded Box (Xbox 69)
so i went to soft mod XBA and screwed up a hotswap by not locking the HDD before reconecting the IDE cable.
He told me he ran a test on the motherboard of XBB with his tester and found that the Heat Synch for the GPU was fucked so he replaced it (he knows nothing about xbox, just PC's) It still didn't work so i decided to take on the task of fixing it (still XBB). I noticed that the HDD was making a clicking noise so i opened it and found that the arm wasn't staying put. It would just bounce around everywhere! So I decide i needed to replace the HDD. I opened up another Western Digital HDD and swaped out the discs in them to get the eeprom from XBB. The other HDD was from XB69. It didn't work. I kept getting an error message with no code. So i said "screw it" and threw them back in thier correct HDD cases and tested the HDD for XB69 before i put the cover of the drive back on. I had the screw in the top of the arm to hold it down and everything, just no cover. It worked fine. So i put the cover back on the HDD of XB69 and put it back in my xbox. When i went to boot i got error 9. I have been tweaking the screw on the arm for an hour or so now, I've tried cover on and off. It won't work. I always get either error 7 or 9. I have a new chip in the mail to fix XBA, Hopefully someone knows how to fix this so i dont have to pay $35 for another.

Thank you for even trying to figure this out. I'm sure I probably left holes in this. Tell me if you need me to elaborate.

#2 sabbath_dude

sabbath_dude

X-S Hacker

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,288 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Rock music, Beer
  • Xbox Version:v1.6c
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:04 AM

Am I correct in thinking you're taking the hard drives apart to try and fix them and then wondering why they dont work when you put them back together again!?!?!? blink.gif .

#3 1hotjob

1hotjob

X-S Knowledgebase

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,761 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:09 AM

Hopefully you were smart enough to read all of the tutorials when you softmodded your Xbox-69 and backed up the eeprom to the PC. If so, build a new HD and lock it with your eeprom. If not, order a solderless adapter and put the chip you ordered into your Xbox, fix it then remove it.

Do the same for his. Put the chip in (solderless), fix it then remove the chip. That way you always have a solderless chip laying around to fix Xboxes with.

As for changing out the platters in the HDs, as you found out, it isn't a good idea. I am suprised you got the one to work after taking the platters out and then putting them back in. Kudos.

As for his dead Xbox-B, I would need a little more info on it to try to figure it out. It may be fixed by replacing the HD with the chip.

#4 clinkermaker

clinkermaker

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:18 AM

sabbath dude, I know it was stupid but how am I gonna learn anything if i don't take chances? And if it would have stayed working I would be very happy.

So Hotjob, What you're saying is that if i have a solderless chip then I can lock a new HDD to the motherboard, then remove it? I didn't know this. I have a duox 2 GS gonna be here in a couple days but ill order a solderless adapter if you are sure about this. I can solder so i dont want to spend $20 on an adaptor if you aren't posotive.

And kudos to you man, my moms a firefighter and has been one for 16 years, she's on the ladder company.

#5 A@ron

A@ron

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,380 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:33 AM

Booting off a chip into something like Slayers or AID will work just fine. Format and lock the HDD and then remove the chip and you'll be good to go.

BTW: There is a difference between taking a chance and doing something dumb. I took a chance when I did my first ram install on my board. But I read up on it and bought a hot air reworking machine to do it.

#6 clinkermaker

clinkermaker

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 99 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 01:46 AM

yeah i know it was dumb, I just have too much confidence. Maybe you could call it arrogance.
Well I had a 20GB HDD laying around, so I formatted it with hdm with the eeprom from xb69 and everything went fine. When I went to lock the HDD it said that it did not have ata locking capabilities. Does this mean I can't use it in my xbox? If so, could someone point me in the direction of a place where I can buy 10-20GB HDD that have locking capabilities?
Thanks everyone, I'm sure I'll do something else stupid in another week or two, so plan on hearing back from me!

#7 palmmann

palmmann

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 151 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 November 2006 - 04:02 AM

QUOTE(clinkermaker @ Nov 13 2006, 06:53 PM) View Post
Does this mean I can't use it in my xbox? If so, could someone point me in the direction of a place where I can buy 10-20GB HDD that have locking capabilities?
Thanks everyone, I'm sure I'll do something else stupid in another week or two, so plan on hearing back from me!

yuppers. ask nicely and i might sell you my spare 20 tongue.gif

Edited by palmmann, 14 November 2006 - 04:03 AM.

#8 Dr Donkey Kong

Dr Donkey Kong

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 248 posts
  • Interests:Women, gaming, soccer, frisbee(ultimate, golf), and alcohol
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 14 November 2006 - 06:33 AM

http://forums.xbox-s...howtopic=137365
http://xboxdrives.x-pec.com/?p=list

Those are the lockable hard drives...
And yes you can only use a locked hard drive in your xbox (without a modchip)

Good Luck

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users