4 replies to this topic

#1 silentbob343

silentbob343

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 14 November 2006 - 04:53 PM

Work is ongoing to improve Linux kernel support for the PS3 by dedicated staff. One goal is to prepare the core platform support, and if possible some key drivers, for submission to kernel maintainers for inclusion in the official kernel.org linux-2.6.20 kernel. A follow up is planned with more drivers for linux-2.6.21.

Since the release of the linux-2.6.16 PS3 support to Linux distributors for use in PS3 release day distributions, there has been continuous work to cleanup the source code, with significant parts completely re-worked to properly interface with appropriate kernel infrastructures. Most Linux kernel development is still toward the core platform support, but the effort is now shifting to prepare device drivers. The plan for drivers is to bring up support for devices in two stages. The first stage is to modify the existing linux-2.6.16 drivers to work with the latest kernel. The second is to re-work the drivers to be acceptable to driver maintainers for inclusion in the official kernel.

Following the public release of the PS3 game console, Linux kernel maintenance for the PS3 will continue publicly. Source code and technical information will be available for public download by Linux enthusiasts.

#2 VinnySem

VinnySem

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 236 posts
  • Xbox Version:none
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:33 AM

Sweet... the PS3 is going to make a sick HTPC-type device.

#3 silentbob343

silentbob343

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 02:38 AM

QUOTE(VinnySem @ Nov 14 2006, 09:40 PM) View Post

Sweet... the PS3 is going to make a sick HTPC-type device.

it sure seems like it.

#4 Shadow5138

Shadow5138

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6b
  • 360 version:none

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:06 AM

Hey, guys, I have one question, what linux distro will the PS3 will have? Gentoo, Redhat, Fedora? I am hooked on Gentoo, (All the way!) and, I wanted to know, if you change any OS stuff will the PS3 stop playing games? Just wondering...

#5 silentbob343

silentbob343

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 03:12 AM

QUOTE(Shadow5138 @ Nov 14 2006, 10:13 PM) View Post

Hey, guys, I have one question, what linux distro will the PS3 will have? Gentoo, Redhat, Fedora? I am hooked on Gentoo, (All the way!) and, I wanted to know, if you change any OS stuff will the PS3 stop playing games? Just wondering...

heh, no you can still play games. There is a patch to use existing PowerPC capable distros to work on the PS3 and of course the "official" PS3 distro Yellowdog.

Edited by silentbob343, 15 November 2006 - 03:22 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users