• Please log in to reply
190 replies to this topic

#1 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 15 November 2006 - 08:58 PM

Before anything I'd like to thank Grim187 from our XS Forums. With that being said enjoy the tutorial!

First off I'll start by saying what you need for this to work.

VIA VT6421L IDE & Serial ATA RAID PCI Controller Card (I have heard of VT6421A's to work but this is what I'm using so this is what I have to recommend!)

Xbox 360 System (OPEN) and Xbox 360 Power supply.

A Computer with either a BOOTABLE USB Memory stick or a BOOTABLE floppy disk (I DON'T RECOMMEND USING A FLOPPY). My bootable partition was FAT32 and it was booting to Windows ME DOS Prompt

On the BOOTABLE floppy/USB drive you must put Xtrem42b.bin, X360SAM.exe and an edited MTKFLASH.EXE & MTKFLASH.TYP which can be found (here)

Now that I got the items out of the way you need to boot to BIOS and DISABLE every single IDE/SATA Device you have (This is the easy way and bypass's the need to enter the computer with your hands and start pulling out IDE and SATA cables)

Now that you have the bios stuff disabled I'd like you to shut off the PC completely. Bring the Xbox 360 over to the PC and plug it into a AC outlet so it can get power. I'd like you now to unplug the SATA connector on the Samsung DVD Drive in the 360 leaving the Power connector plugged in. Plug a SATA Cable into the 2nd SATA Connector on the PCI Card (the connector furthest from the back of the computer) long enough to reach the 360 Samsung Drive. DO NOT PLUG IN THE PCI CARD SATA TO THE XBOX SATA....YET

Boot the Computer to the Floppy/USB drive. When your presented with A:\ type "mtkflash r /m orig.bin" (without the quotes of course) DO NOT HIT ENTER!!!

I want you now to Plug in the SATA Connector from the PCI Card into the 360 Samsung Drive.

Remove the RF Cover so you can tap the small power button to turn on the 360....Turn it on.

Here is the IMPORTANT PART your 360 doesn't have the AV Cable plugged in so its flashing red...thats fine but you MUST REMEMBER that there is a 3 second timeout in which you CANT hit the power button to shut off the system cause its got lag. You must WAIT at least 5 seconds before you proceed after turning on the 360.

Now that you waited your 5 second timeout period I want you to go ahead and hit enter on the keyboard. I want you to take NOTICE that it says detecting drives for a second and then proceeds. If you did so you should see it freeze while trying to find the drive in the 360...this is NORMAL since this is just a TEST. Hit ESC on the keyboard and you should get a Status 51 Should be 80. If you got this error we are okay to proceed

I'd like you to again type "mtkflash r /m orig.bin" but this time which you see it say detecting drives shut off the 360 EXACTLY at that MOMENT! It should now be frozen where it was before but this time your 360 is off.

Heres the kicker! Turn the 360 back on and it will start to read the MS28.

Now that we have that out of the way we will now type "x360sam orig.bin xtrem42b.bin hacked.bin" (Duh...with out the quotes)

It will proceed to create a hacked.bin BIOS image. Now you will shut the PC and Xbox 360 off and Remove the SATA Connector from the 360 drive. Repeate the steps above again up until the part where you type "mtkflash r /m orig.bin" this time your going to type "mtkflash w /m hacked.bin" and do the same thing as before...shutting the 360 off right as its detecting the Samsung and turning it on after.

If all is done well you should have a Nicely hacked MS28 Drive with the newest (to date) Xtreme Firmware.

P.S - I'd also like to add that my finger once twitched and right when it started to flash I accidently shut the xbox off...woops to me! I turned the xbox 360 back on and typed the command again and it proceeded to flash the drive with out doing anything out of the ordinary.

Sidenote: This will not work with the Xecuter Connect Kit (You will always get Status 80 Should be 70)

I DO NOT TAKE RESPONSIBILITY IF THIS IN ANY WAY SCREWS UP OR BRICKS YOUR SAMSUNG DRIVE. THOUGH IT SHOULD NOT...STUPID STUFF SOMETIMES HAPPENS AND I WILL NOT BE HELD ACCOUNTABLE FOR THAT!

Edited by xboxexpert, 15 November 2006 - 09:05 PM.

#2 barge

barge

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 15 November 2006 - 10:52 PM

wow thanks!
my buddy has a ms28 and I took a look at the pcb and saw the small resistor for the vcc trick, no way jose!

#3 barge

barge

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 114 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 15 November 2006 - 11:19 PM

I thought you wanted a card without raid?
Here is a link to the card!
http://www.newegg.co...N82E16815124023

#4 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 01:18 AM

Doesnt matter which card you get but this one I know for a fact works perfect with MS25's and 28's

#5 piggymouth

piggymouth

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:Computer Gaming<br />Technology News<br /><br />Xbox/xbox 360 Games<br />PS2/3 Games<br /><br />Modding Consoles
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:20 AM

I have one of these cards on the way to me.
Should be in by Friday.

Am I correct that with this card & VIA chipset I "Don't" have to worry about removing the resistor and performaning the VCC trick...?

This is my first attempt at flashing a 28 drive.
I had a 25 until the fall update bricked my console.

I was told that my chipset (Nforce4) would not work even if I tried the VCC trick. Any truth to this...?
Just wondering.

#6 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:10 AM

In my tutorial you do NOT need to remove the VCC Resistor.

#7 fastbackb16

fastbackb16

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 62 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:09 AM

hey i did a bad flash recovery on my ms28 ..... ohmy.gif USING A FLOPPY ohmy.gif ........was real simple thanks to textbook
the reason i used it is cuz........my computer cant boot froma usb......cant upgrade the bois.......nfts4dos.....wont work........lol........then went with the infamous floppy........crossed my fingers........gave my xbox its last rights........and den i worked......thank goddd

if any one needs help with an ms 28......im me.....aim yunggunna85

Edited by fastbackb16, 16 November 2006 - 05:11 AM.

#8 Optics2k3

Optics2k3

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 154 posts
  • Interests:Xbox 360, Hockey, Bud!
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:24 AM

Hey, Where can i find a SYBA SY-VIA-150R PCI SATA or ANY Via Pci card in London Ontario Canada? or even in Ontario? i'm having Real troubles with this

#9 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Computers
  • Xbox Version:v1.0

Posted 16 November 2006 - 08:39 AM

Bad-flash recovery method just seems a whole hell of a lot easier instead of relying on perfect timings. With bad-flash, it works every time, and I can use anywhere from 1 second to 15 seconds, timing doesn't even matter. Also, you should use Boke's patch so it 'lists' the drive instead of trying to dump automatically.

#10 foaley77

foaley77

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 446 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:01 AM

I agree with Textbook the Bad flash recovery method is piss easy.

Edited by foaley77, 16 November 2006 - 09:01 AM.

#11 piggymouth

piggymouth

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 233 posts
  • Interests:Computer Gaming<br />Technology News<br /><br />Xbox/xbox 360 Games<br />PS2/3 Games<br /><br />Modding Consoles
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 16 November 2006 - 09:59 AM

QUOTE(xboxexpert @ Nov 15 2006, 09:17 PM) View Post

In my tutorial you do NOT need to remove the VCC Resistor.

This is pretty much all I needed to know. This is why I went and ordered the 6421 SATA card in the first place. My card should be arriving tomorrow and I have read all kinds of posts on this board for how "easy" it is to do. I will post back my results when I get my MS28 drive flashed.

I do have a technical question. Why is the VIA chipset so special to the MS28 drive..? It talks to the drive even though the resistor remains on the board..? I'm thinking that any SATA board should be able to talk to a drive but I guess I have a lot to learn about how flashing works.

Thanks again for the resistor advice.

#12 Alcoholx

Alcoholx

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 69 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 12:34 PM

QUOTE(Optics2k3 @ Nov 16 2006, 04:31 AM) View Post

Hey, Where can i find a SYBA SY-VIA-150R PCI SATA or ANY Via Pci card in London Ontario Canada? or even in Ontario? i'm having Real troubles with this

http://tekgems.com/P...sy-via-150r.htm

ive orderd from there

#13 turnerr

turnerr

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 08:36 PM

Just a quick question...

I've read the ms28 firmware using the USB Boot and mtkflash r /m orig.bin method. My file size of the orig.bin is 1024kb is that right? I did it 3 more times to be sure and all 3 times the file size was the same. I say this only because when I try using x360sam.exe it gives me an error message that it must be 256k?

- Thanks in advance

P.S. Where is a good place to get the files (I'm currently using the newsgroups)

Edited by turnerr, 17 November 2006 - 08:41 PM.

#14 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 09:22 PM

your dumping another ide device not the 360 drive.

#15 B4tm4n

B4tm4n

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 241 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 17 November 2006 - 10:07 PM

Could this method be used to upgrade a M25 flashed with XTREM4.x without having to use the 0800 disc ?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users