PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:31 AM

PS3 Downscales 720p on Incapable TVs
Posted by XanTium | 15-11-2006 21:31 EST

From ps3.ign.com:

As it turns out, gamers who own older HD sets that feature only 480i, 480p, and 1080i resolution input capabilities will have to settle for the display quality being downsized as the game boots in its 480p mode rather than upscaling the image from its more desirable 720p mode to the TV's 1080i. We tested this development on older HDTV sets with games designed for 720p but not 1080i -- Resistance: Fall of Man, NHL 2K7, Tiger Woods PGA Tour 07, and Need for Speed Carbon. Sure enough, the system downshifted all four titles to 480p rather than moving up to 1080i.

It is not known yet if this is purely a software issue or a deeper technical problem and whether or not this lack of upscaling might be resolved on launch PS3 systems in future updates of the hardware via downloadable firmware patches.

Read More: ps3.ign.com

#2 Mr Invader

Mr Invader

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 814 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 16 November 2006 - 02:45 AM

WHHHAAAATTTTT

Thats stupid, I would have thought with all theri talk Sony could at least do SOMETHING right and have some quality(even mediocre) upscaling for the PS3.

#3 C o s m o

C o s m o

X-S Messiah

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,296 posts
  • Interests:The Shocker, mudbutt, luge lessons, buggery.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 16 November 2006 - 03:27 AM

Yeah...not a very good thing right now. So ONLY games specifically made for 1080i will display 1080i? Not a smart move IMHO. Could be solved via a later update though.

#4 silentbob343

silentbob343

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 16 November 2006 - 05:46 AM

I read it had something to do with the HDMI output:
"if a game like resistance is set up for 1280x720p, that can't easily be scaled up to 1920x1080 without quite a lot of effort and memory. (1920x1080 full buffer would be needed even if you're set to 1080i)

The 360 has an analog scaler to output the desired resolutions which means there isn't any memory impact to do the scaling (its doing it on the fly as its creating the output signal). But the PS3 has HDMI output which I would expect to mean creating a proper frame buffer in the right size before outputting it."

Which begs the question, does it do the same via component?

On a brighter note BR output is supported at 720, 1080i, and 1080P.

Edited by silentbob343, 16 November 2006 - 05:47 AM.

#5 mlmadmax

mlmadmax

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 870 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 16 November 2006 - 07:16 AM

To me this is a major flaw with the PS3, and I don't see why it would have anything to do with HDMI. I have been worried about this for a while and I am just lucky to have a HDTV that does all resolutions.

This also means that when you up the resolution on the console it has to do more work.

LAME

#6 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 16 November 2006 - 11:14 AM

The question here is does it actually downscale the 720p games to 480p/i or does it render them at those resolutions.

AFAIK the PS3 doesn't include any scaler chip, that is a feature the Xbox 360 holds alone. From speaking with various people who have worked with it.. it sounds like it works the same way as the Xbox 1's HDTV support. The Xbox 1 didn't have a scaler so if you wanted to output at a particular resolution you had to render to that resolution.

It is possible to build software scalers into the game but that sucks up system resources which would probably lower your performance.

I hope I'm wrong but from what I understand of the PS3's inner workings it's not something that can be fixed unless they add in a hardware scaler that doesn't exist in current versions.

#7 alsybub

alsybub

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,315 posts
  • Location:South Coast, UK PlayStation3 Version: v1.0 Nintendo Wii Version: v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 November 2006 - 05:39 PM

What is annoying is that when you set your PS3 to 1080i/p and then play a game that does not render at 1080 (the motor storm demo) It does not then render at 720p (as you would expect) but at 480p. So when I played the demo I had to go into the dash settings and switch the PS3 to 720p manually to get it to work. I hope this is fixed soon or people will get fed up with changing the settings all the time. For now I'm leaving mine in 720p. Saves hassle.

Go figure.

Edited by alsybub, 17 November 2006 - 05:42 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users