Schmoozer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:03 AM

So I got this softmodded Xbox v1.0 with ST TSOP chip. I have looked around through many tutorials and found as long as my TSOP is not Winbond, which it isn't, I can flash a 1MB bios to the TSOP. Well I got Evox now in apps with bios in the bios folder (X2 4981.06 - 1MB) the write points are soldered to be enabled and ready to go. Should I take the step and Flash my TSOP? Other then a power failure I could not screw up?

I'm doing a TSOP flash for a few reasons:

1) Cheap modchip
2) Can configure hard drives (My computer is to new to lock xbox hard drives in XboxHDM so this would do the locking)
3) Change colors of X logo and remove Microsoft etc... from boot flubber.

Thanks for your help!
-Schmoozer biggrin.gif

#2 Soligna

Soligna

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 372 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:none

Posted 16 November 2006 - 06:24 AM

Do it.

#3 caster420

caster420

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 November 2006 - 03:14 AM

Besides a power failure, you could flash a bad bios or one with the improper settings. Just make sure you use one that suits your tsop (1 meg, you can use x2.5035 or x2.4981/83). Make sure you get your bios from a reliable souce (xbins) or use one that you have used before and know isnt corrupt/bad.

Caster.

Edited by caster420, 17 November 2006 - 03:15 AM.

#4 Schmoozer

Schmoozer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 04:08 AM

After I flash the Xbox TSOP should I then remove the softmod, and assuming I do remove, what is the deafult dash when you boot up with a flash TSOP?

Edited by Schmoozer, 17 November 2006 - 04:13 AM.

#5 Joshatdot

Joshatdot

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:XBMC, Softmod, XBoxHDM, TSOP, [adultswim], Anime, Family Guy, American Dad, Simpsons, Futurama

Posted 17 November 2006 - 04:26 AM

QUOTE(Schmoozer @ Nov 16 2006, 07:15 PM) View Post
After I flash the Xbox TSOP should I then remove the softmod, and assuming I do remove, what is the deafult dash when you boot up with a flash TSOP?

Depends on what BIOS you are going to use, the X2 4981 has the path to dashboards coded in the BIOS itself, you'll need XBtool to edit the 4981 BIOS. With the X2 5035 BIOS you just need to edit the x2config.ini (needs to be placed in root of drive e)

#6 HandledOut

HandledOut

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 17 November 2006 - 06:52 AM

Some general tips if you have already done it or haven't...

1. Put stock bioses in atleast 2 of the banks without graphical mods (x-logo, splash, etc..).
-- Reason: No graphics at boot could make your system not boot anything period.
---- Another: it's good to have atleast some display to let you know it is trying to boot atleast.

2. Make sure all the bioses do not do a dvd-rom check.
-- Reason: incase your dvd-rom breaks and causes system hangs or your doing other mods with case open.
---- Another: You'll soon find out that you will never really use it again anyways.

3. Snych 3 of the bios's dashboard orders the same and use a shortcut maker.
-- Reason: The 4th one can be a recovery dash of sorts by loading another dash if you do not have a working dvd-rom.
---- Another: Ensures you get the same dashboard every time. Typically you synch to an encrypted bios like x2 4983.

4. Try to make atleast one of the bioses to be one that has been VGA patched with the 0.7 patcher.
-- Reason: This way you can test things on the xbox without having a TV around but just a monitor.
---- Another: Games and movies look better in VGA.

5. Run your hdd unlocked and backup the hdd locking password along with the EEPROM.bin.
-- Reason: If your mobo dies, and you lost the password, then you got a brick for a hdd.
---- Another: Even if you have the pwd, do you really want to boot up linux just to unlock it?

6. Make sure you flash a bios that is one large F: drive (xxx.06)
-- Reason: You'll get crunched for space quicker than you think and have to edit the dashboard.
---- Another: G: is only handy if you are installing more or less a natively linux install to the xbox.

7. Add a switch. I use one center-off DPDT switch to boot 3 different banks (a center-off spdt probably works too).
-- Reason: You'll wind up doing this sooner or later trust me. This allows testing of other bioses along with orginal.
---- Another: if one corrupts, you flip the switch to another and reflash. it's a velvet divorce from the corrupted one.

8. Test the bios to be used in flashing with PBL 1.4.1 first.
-- Reason: To makes sure it's not corrupt or not even a bios at all.
---- Another: Reread reason 1, it's important.

Anybody got anything else?

Edited by HandledOut, 17 November 2006 - 07:11 AM.

#7 caster420

caster420

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,527 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 17 November 2006 - 12:51 PM

#1&#7 are dependent upon each other unless you are using the 3-wire trick to use 1-256kb bank at a time.

#2 - I was booting my system for a while with no drive in it and it would just studder on boot. It wouldnt actually hang the system.

#5 - If you are running with your hdd unlocked (assuming no live or original bios on one of the banks), then you dont need a backup of your eeprom or your password. You will be able to lock your hdd to any system or use it in a pc. I always run with it unlocked. You should STILL make a backup of your eeprom incase it become corrupt and you need to fix it.

#6 - I dont necessarily agree with that, if you are using an extremely large hdd, then you have to format that one partition in 32k clusters. I found it much easier to have an f&g and simply edit the dash config.

This is just my personal opinion, i'm not bitching or disputing.

Caster.

Edited by caster420, 17 November 2006 - 12:51 PM.

#8 HandledOut

HandledOut

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 105 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 04:01 AM

#1 and #7 are only dependant if something goes wrong with the bios you are using, which if it does #1 and #7 you will do. (really 1, 3, 4 and 7 have co-dependencies).

System stuttering has always been a ata66 ribbon problem for me. (could be a difference in bioses, i run Evox M8p btw). For the one system i do have no dvd-rom, i have the cable backwards. Of course this should not matter, but i know it's backwards (too lazy to care to swap it). Also, none of my ata ribbons i use are original anymore. All of them are finally ata133 ribbons. i've noticed with these ribbons twisting them too much can create stuttering, but that assumes you use 2 ide devices.

f or g, yeh very much a differing opinion, but after running g: for over a year i grew to hate it. i put mostly large games with lower file counts on the box, so the cluster size doesn't matter much. Or i _USED_ to put movies on it (until my F: || G: magically lost all the file links 2 or 3 times, without unallocating that space). BTW: what is the cluster size for G:? Actually what is the minimum for fatx?

#9 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 18 November 2006 - 12:42 PM

QUOTE(Schmoozer @ Nov 16 2006, 10:15 PM) View Post

You will likely find your softmod won't boot with a hacked bios. Either revert your xbox dash to stock and flash with a game exploit, or get an autoinstaller disk so you can boot that with the hacked bios and fix your hard drive.

EDIT: Actually I'm crazy..make sure you've got something on your hard drive that the bios can boot, other than the (softmodded) msdash files - dash or shortcut of your choice. Do this BEFORE you flash and turn off your xbox. (If your softmod uses shadowc, and you expect your hacked bios to boot from C, make sure you're accessing the real C drive..)

Edited by Movax, 18 November 2006 - 12:51 PM.

#10 Schmoozer

Schmoozer

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 133 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 12:53 AM

Thanks everyone for your help so far, but I have one last question, could I just edit the BIOS (X2 4981.67) to boot dashboard from E:\dashboard\deafult.xbe (default being Evox, UnleashX, or XBMC....currently it's XBMC)?
I would prefer to not touch C drive, have dashboard on E, and all my apps etc... stay on F or G.

#11 Joshatdot

Joshatdot

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 748 posts
  • Interests:XBMC, Softmod, XBoxHDM, TSOP, [adultswim], Anime, Family Guy, American Dad, Simpsons, Futurama

Posted 19 November 2006 - 01:57 AM

QUOTE(Schmoozer @ Nov 18 2006, 04:00 PM) View Post
Thanks everyone for your help so far, but I have one last question, could I just edit the BIOS (X2 4981.67) to boot dashboard from E:\dashboard\deafult.xbe (default being Evox, UnleashX, or XBMC....currently it's XBMC)?
I would prefer to not touch C drive, have dashboard on E, and all my apps etc... stay on F or G.

Yep, just use XBTool to edit the X2 4981 BIOS:

IPB Image

Edited by Joshatdot, 19 November 2006 - 01:58 AM.

#12 Movax

Movax

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,520 posts

Posted 19 November 2006 - 08:09 AM

QUOTE(HandledOut @ Nov 17 2006, 12:59 AM) View Post

3. Snych 3 of the bios's dashboard orders the same and use a shortcut maker.
-- Reason: The 4th one can be a recovery dash of sorts by loading another dash if you do not have a working dvd-rom.
---- Another: Ensures you get the same dashboard every time. Typically you synch to an encrypted bios like x2 4983.3. Snych 3 of the bios's dashboard orders the same and use a shortcut maker.
---- Another: Ensures you get the same dashboard every time. Typically you synch to an encrypted bios like x2 4983.

This sounds really interesting, but I have no idea what you're saying here - can you explain it a bit more?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users