m0z

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 20 November 2006 - 12:58 PM

Hi can anyone give me some advice as i'm now looking at a possible loss of 1000.

I've flashed a Hitachi before but this is the first time with a samsung ms28.

My motherboard is an asus a7v600 with a via 8237, I used the xtreme bootmaker to make a compatible ms28 boot device, put it on my hdd as I can't boot from usb.

I followed the ms28 tutorial in the SamsungV41.pdf and used samread to get the orig.bin (which I have a backup of), I used samwrite and everything went ok, it went through each bank and said 100% (although in the tutorial it says it repeats over 1 line).

When I booted the xbox I got an e65 and shat myself.

Can anyone offer any advice? Cheers.

#2 m0z

m0z

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 01:13 PM

Now i'm really panicking, I can't use samorig as it doesn't list the sata port, is the drive bricked?

Is there anthing I can do with the orig.bin?

#3 rj4eva

rj4eva

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 23 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 01:25 PM

ive had the same problem mate did you ground the dvd drive while you was flashing it?

#4 m0z

m0z

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 02:13 PM

This sounds stupid, and well it is, but I didn't have any croc clips so I used what was near - some nail clippers touching the 360 housing and pc housing, however they fell off so were of limited use.

When i flashed my hitachi i did't ground the 360 and everything went ok.

I've had limited success trying to fix it. Initially the sata chip wasnt showing using mtkflash or samorig, but I turned the 360 on and off randomly and it appeared, it gave errors first few times, also the one time when I entered mtkflash 'XTREME' was on the list and im not sure what this is, the floppy?

Anyway I managed to get it to write the orig.bin using samorig and turning the 360 on and off just before i flashed it, the flash went ok 100% on each of the 3 banks but it still gives me an E65.

Now i don't know what to do with this drive, or with the other 3 xboxes I have as I don't know what caused the problem, sata chipset, grounding or something else? I'm considering buying one of those pci sata cards and giving that a go.

#5 Textbook

Textbook

X-S Hacker

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,552 posts
  • Interests:Xbox and Computers
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 20 November 2006 - 03:33 PM

A PCI SATA card will be no better than what you already have. A VIA 8237 and VIA 6421 are nearly identical in terms of use for flashing 360 drives. Hook up a good drive and dump it's original firmware before continuing. Then, power-cycle the 360 (after the orig fw is read) and restart your PC. Continue like you are going to reflash it with the original firmware from your bricked drive (SAMORIG <bricked drive's serial>). After running the command, it should go to a list showing XTREME or your VIA 8237. Do not select your chipset (you'd end up with two bricks then!).

At the list, power off your good drive, unhook the SATA cable, and connect it to your bricked drive - leave the power off. Now, you can select your drive from the MTKFlash list. It should go to a port error. Ten seconds after you selected your drive from MTKFlash, power up the bricked drive and it should start writing to the drive automatically.

It is basically a mix of hotswap and bad-flash recovery. I have used it to re-flash bricked Samsungs that don't even show up in MTKFlash.

#6 m0z

m0z

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 04:40 PM

Ok I will try that method. What's the difference between 'XTREME' and my VT8237 chipset option? as the first time round I think I chose the VT8237 - the 'XTREME' option did not show.

I've managed to get mtkflash to read the firmware to new.bin, I compared it with the orig.bin and they're identical. I'm going to try and reflash the orig.bin a few times.

Is there any way of telling if my orig.bin is corrupt or a wrong key? It's the usual 256 size and the byte range in orig.bin and hacked.bin are the same.

If I can manage to flash the orig.bin to the drive and it still doesn't work, could it be a power issue as I didn't ground it properly? I don't kno what to do with the 3 other 360's ive got as I dont want this to happen again. Cheers for your input.

#7 m0z

m0z

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 20 November 2006 - 05:26 PM

I'VE GOT IT WORKING

Ok, fuck knos how, but i've got it working, here's what happened.

I tried samorig, the technique where you get the mtkflash list, turn off the 360, select it, wait 10 then turn it on, and that wouldn't work at all. Just stayed on 0% and at one time stayed on 16%.

So I thought i'd try samremod, so it made the new hacked.bin for me and prompted me to samhack, so I did. Now, the list came up and instead of turning off my 360 I just selected the VT8237 and it proceeded to flash it, confirming the banks. I thought it would still be a E65 like before, but lo and behold the 360 booted up, i've just tested it and it works fine.

Looking at the old hacked.bin the bytes are the same until hex400 where they change. The bytes around hex4000 look the same along with the key.

SO WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?! Textbook do you have any ideas? As I have 3 more 360's to do and I don't want this fuss!

Edited by m0z, 20 November 2006 - 05:41 PM.

#8 darkmaster2

darkmaster2

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 33 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 04:45 AM

I had almost the same problem as you, and samremod did the trick after all else failed.
I have no idea why either.

But its working!

QUOTE(m0z @ Nov 20 2006, 06:33 PM) View Post

I'VE GOT IT WORKING

I tried samorig, the technique where you get the mtkflash list, turn off the 360, select it, wait 10 then turn it on, and that wouldn't work at all. Just stayed on 0% and at one time stayed on 16%.

So I thought i'd try samremod, so it made the new hacked.bin for me and prompted me to samhack, so I did. Now, the list came up and instead of turning off my 360 I just selected the VT8237 and it proceeded to flash it, confirming the banks. I thought it would still be a E65 like before, but lo and behold the 360 booted up, i've just tested it and it works fine.

Looking at the old hacked.bin the bytes are the same until hex400 where they change. The bytes around hex4000 look the same along with the key.

SO WHAT THE HELL HAPPENED?! Textbook do you have any ideas? As I have 3 more 360's to do and I don't want this fuss!

#9 m0z

m0z

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 83 posts

Posted 27 November 2006 - 11:42 AM

Aye, i'm sure this must be a fix for it.

#10 ackmeoff

ackmeoff

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:34 PM

QUOTE(darkmaster2 @ Nov 27 2006, 04:52 AM) View Post

I had almost the same problem as you, and samremod did the trick after all else failed.
I have no idea why either.

But its working!

laugh.gif

Same deal here. I was just fighting with my ms28 for hours. I could never get samhack to work but was able to get samread to work 1 time using my new via 6421 card. But only once. So after I tired every method i could research decided to give up and put the box back together only to notice when I turned it on now I had a lovely e65. I tried the samremod and it reflashed back to my orig firm even though it never changed then prompted me to run samhack. Which I did without rebooting my xbox at all or using the 10 sec trick both methoods flashed perfectly. Im wondering if the 10 sec trick is even needed at all? Why not just use samremod and make life easy. Anyways I am very happy my brand new 360 is not bricked and extreme 5.1 C took.

#11 neoark

neoark

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 13 posts

Posted 29 December 2006 - 11:52 PM

QUOTE(m0z @ Nov 20 2006, 05:33 PM) View Post

I'VE GOT IT WORKING

hi guy .
change you cable sata !!!

in my ms25 100% fine

sorry my en rolleyes.gif glish ok?

#12 ackmeoff

ackmeoff

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 30 December 2006 - 01:09 AM

QUOTE(neoark @ Dec 29 2006, 11:59 PM) View Post

hi guy .