3 replies to this topic

#1 silentbob343

silentbob343

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 22 November 2006 - 01:03 AM

Somebody brought this up over at AVS and I thought it was an interesting idea. The 360 add-on wil run on a desktop PC. What it really needs is linux drivers and Linux HD DVD playback software.

#2 bigjimmy

bigjimmy

X-S Expert

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPip
  • 657 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 22 November 2006 - 06:10 AM

Thats a damn good idea......im sure it wont be long until the drivers for the HD-DVD player are released or made for linux.

#3 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 22 November 2006 - 12:35 PM

Well I read ages back that the HD-DVD set-top box players actually have a Linux as the OS (I believe it was a very trimmed down version of Red Hat) to fit inside a flash chip. You know them great big HD-DVD players I'm talking about.

So I'm sure HD-DVD works under Linux.

Well with all the 360 firmware hacking I'm sure one of them guys could knock up a modified driver for the drive to work in PPC Linux.

Edit that would also be good if Blu-Ray fails, and your expensive PS3 investment wont be so bad at all, you will have the best of both worlds.

Edited by bucko, 22 November 2006 - 12:36 PM.

#4 silentbob343

silentbob343

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 825 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 05:12 AM

A software player needs AACS keys and I doubt that any open source application will qualify for them.

Chances are we'll need to purchase a piece of software like WinDVD or PowerDVD to play the disc.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users