Photo

Did You Buy The Xbox360 Hd-dvd Addon?

• Please log in to reply
112 replies to this topic

Poll: Did you buy the Xbox360 HD-DVD Addon?

Did you buy the Xbox360 HD-DVD Addon?

You cannot see the results of the poll until you have voted. Please login and cast your vote to see the results of this poll.
Vote Guests cannot vote

#61 prplehz

prplehz

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 849 posts
  • Interests:Romance, Audio/Video, Computers, Video Games, Skiing, Swimming.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:51 AM

I have it, and the image is tons better then standard dvds on my 50 plasma. I was thinking about waiting to see which format would win. But I figured that hd-dvd was going to win just because the name is more "average person" recognizable and it is more cost effective to produce. So I thought I would join the hd-dvd side and help it win. The more that use it the better chance it will be the winner. So don't wait, be part of the decision making... You wont regret the picture difference if you have an hdtv.

#62 Zoopster

Zoopster

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 29 November 2006 - 03:18 PM

I consider the XBox HD DVD player to be an interim solution. It's $200, which is the cheapest entry point into the HD disc market. Period. No other player currently out can touch that; either for HD DVD or Blu-Ray. I do not plan to continue using it once real players become more affordable and better made. I will get a PS3 as soon as I can find them in a store other than frickin' eBay, and hopefully there will be some compelling games for the thing by then too.

The Toshiba HD DVD players currently on the market are not that good. They are EXTREMELY slow (almost a full minute from power on to disc start, even after the f/w upgrade), and have some compliance issues. They're also a lot more expensive. By contrast the X360 player is FAST, and easy to operate.

The same goes for the Samsung Blu-Ray player. Prohibitively priced and slow, it just can't compare to the 360's player.

So really, if you want to get into the HD disc market this year then the 360 add-on is the only way to go.

#63 []-[]ooDLu[]v[]

[]-[]ooDLu[]v[]

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 72 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:25 AM

bought 3 HD-addon's just cuz i think they're worth that much...

#64 blckwdw1986

blckwdw1986

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 46 posts
  • Interests:Xbox Modding, Halo Modding, BMX, Home Theater, Movies, Games, Music, Cars and of course the ladies.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:44 AM

I have a Panasonic HD Front Projector and regular movies look amazing compared to the 27" JVC tube I had before, especially since my screen is now 72". I am pleased with the 480p movies at the moment, but I would like to see the 360 upconvert/upscale movies to 720p or 1080i. I will be one who waits for the war to be over, my vote is for HD-DVD. Affordable, practical, and usefull. The only problem I see is that the companis backing BD are the more consumer brands and such. We shall see. I don't really care who wins, as long as someone does and the prices drop and movies are widely available.

#65 suppository

suppository

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 03:37 AM

I don't mean to give away my age here but this reminds me of Betamax vs VHS so much. Betamax looked way better on paper but we all know how that one turned out huh! I'd ramble on but I see superasshole already covered this one.

#66 Unregistered007

Unregistered007

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 483 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:29 AM

sorry I want Blu-Ray

#67 bucko

bucko

Super Moderator

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,997 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 30 November 2006 - 10:27 AM

I can't even afford a 360 let alone the HD-DVD addon, I don't think the drive is even out in the UK yet anyway?

I would like to wait for a clear winner though, and I need to see both Blu-Ray and HD-DVD in action before I decide anyway. I only have a 720p monitor but I'm urging my parents to get a HD-Ready TV at Christmas biggrin.gif.

Edited by bucko, 30 November 2006 - 10:28 AM.

#68 VeNgE_DuDe

VeNgE_DuDe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 01:46 PM

HD-DVD and BLU-RAY as far as set-top players display the same picture in 1080p. The format o the disc is the relivency, not the data that is on it- it is the same. Xbox360 can't show the true HD without 1080p support- which does not work with 360 right now? Format does not matter, the content on the disc does. There is no difference, DATA WISE, from an HD-DVD movie or BLU-RAY movie. Both recorded in 1080p with HD cameras- the difference is which can display the better picture and why.

HDMI plug is coming for 360, but will it be digital?

Blu-Ray only offers more storage than HD-DVD, and no movie made to date, even fills up a HD-DVD.

I picked the wrong option, I will not get the External player for 360. It's only 500.00 for a Low End PS3 -vs- 800.00 for just a set-top Blu-Ray player = spend the 300.00 more than the HD-DVD player for 360, and get a PS3. You get the Blu-Ray player, plus a game console- win win scenario. Even a set-top HD-DVD player is 400 to 500.00 + 100 = PS3 for me.

#69 compton

compton

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 87 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 02:13 PM

honestly, i would be more interested when i own a decent HD tv. (probably about 2-3 years away, as i own a decent 30" regular def i am not willing to abandon yet.)

Also if i do buy one before the television upgrade, it will probably be used by my pc.

#70 IntestineMan

IntestineMan

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 06:36 PM

For $199.00, this HD-DVD addon lets me watch HD-DVD movies now. In the near future there will most likely be combination players (I don't believe the format wars will be settled that soon because each side is being stubborn), and these will be able to be bought from Wal-Mart for under $100. Therefore, I am not too worried and we will all be able to play BlueRay and HD-DVD titles with no problems. In a few years, those who have bought the HD-DVD addon will find it in their closet, dust if off and think... "Eww... I used to use this clunky thing!" I know this because I know this because I seen my $900 Toshiba Progressive Scan player in the closet.

#71 thepissedoffman

thepissedoffman

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 335 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:10 PM

Once I found out that the LOTR and Matrix trilogies were coming to HD-DVD I bought the drive.

#72 Firf

Firf

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 52 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 07:48 PM

I'm sure its been said in this thread... but I'm being lazy... unsure.gif

But... many manufacturers are touting dual format players and they have already figured out how to it with a single layer. They are estimating 6 months, which is about the time it will take before we have any real flow of flicks in HD formats....

Just my opinion tongue.gif

#73 brywalker

brywalker

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 366 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:35 AM

I have the HD-A1 standalone. I've had it for about 5 months or so. It rocks. No need for the addon, especially when I get True HD audio and HDMI upscaling for DVDs.

I have 2 friends that HAVE purchased it, though (on my recommendation).

#74 THAbomb82

THAbomb82

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:57 PM

why gamble on somthing you have no say in what so ever.
When the big sudio's make up there mind to go on this HD trip with one of the players then I will make up my mind..

But for now I'm happy playing my DVD on my 30" HD plasma.....

#75 Zoopster

Zoopster

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 20 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:08 PM

I just got a new Samsung LS-N4696 television. LCD, 1080p, 46-inch. This may come as a shock to you guys, but this TV supports 1080p via a component cable connection. I am sure other new ones do as well, though older ones probably do not.

So now I am enjoying X360 games and HD DVD playback in full 1080p, and man it looks awesome. I don't recommend VGA at this time... the picture is washed out and too bright, with very poor contrast (known issue I guess). Component is the way to go.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users