5 replies to this topic

#1 illmatik

illmatik

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 23 November 2006 - 11:44 PM

My friend's 360 drive died on him. He never attempted to mod it, it was in retail state. He says he came home one day, inserted Oblivion and the drive made a loud noise. He turned off the console, but now no games will boot. He says the disk never spins since when he ejects it it's in the same exact position as when he inserted it. Someone told me it is good news that he can eject the drive, however.

I know they have replacement drives that you can buy, but don't you need to extract the drive key before you replace it? Do you guys think this is possible in the drive's current state?

Thank you.

#2 MDA

MDA

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 89 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 02:56 AM

If the disk is not spinning then the drive is probablly still good. There is a circular magnet on the disk spindle that tends to fall off. Just open it up and find the magnet, use some super glue to put it back and your done.

#3 illmatik

illmatik

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 173 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:54 PM

Thanks I'll look into it.

#4 xzenor

xzenor

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 616 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:08 PM

That was the worst advice I've ever heard. Don't open it up to try and fix the problem. Call M$ and ask befor attempting to fix it yourself.

#5 xboxexpert

xboxexpert

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 7 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 09:19 PM

QUOTE(illmatik @ Nov 23 2006, 05:51 PM) View Post

My friend's 360 drive died on him. He never attempted to mod it, it was in retail state. He says he came home one day, inserted Oblivion and the drive made a loud noise. He turned off the console, but now no games will boot. He says the disk never spins since when he ejects it it's in the same exact position as when he inserted it. Someone told me it is good news that he can eject the drive, however.

I know they have replacement drives that you can buy, but don't you need to extract the drive key before you replace it? Do you guys think this is possible in the drive's current state?

Thank you.

From first look it seems your DVD Drive motor is dead. Not the motor that powers the lens but the motor that spins the disc.

QUOTE(MDA @ Nov 23 2006, 09:03 PM) View Post

If the disk is not spinning then the drive is probablly still good. There is a circular magnet on the disk spindle that tends to fall off. Just open it up and find the magnet, use some super glue to put it back and your done.

I've never heard of this. Ever....

#6 hazord016

hazord016

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 1 posts
  • Interests:Graphics, Games, Movies, Music
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 21 September 2007 - 05:58 AM

QUOTE(xboxexpert @ Nov 24 2006, 03:55 PM) View Post

From first look it seems your DVD Drive motor is dead. Not the motor that powers the lens but the motor that spins the disc.

Ok I have the same problem though mine is modded. So yes my motor is dead. I was wondering if I could just go pick up a new motor and install it or just use a DVD Disk drive motor I have laying around and would it be easy to install.

Sorry to bring this back from the dead, but I googled it and I have this problem. Don't wanna spend 400 bucks to get a new system but if I need to then I will. But any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Edited by hazord016, 21 September 2007 - 05:59 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users