10 replies to this topic

#1 VincePirez

VincePirez

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 06:56 PM

Hi guys,

Hitachi 47DJ flashed with v2.3 GaryOpa either revision 1 or revision 2 just won't read any backups at all.
This has only started occuring recently and since the fall update. May just be coincidence.

I've flashed and restored the drive to numerous different firmware versions, and still no go.

These are discs that have worked before FLAWLESSLY, but now won't read at all.
It's almost as if the firmware flash isn't doing anything, and is leaving it as the original unmodified firmware.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I very much doubt it's the burn, as these have worked before without any problems at all.

Cheers.

#2 mj3zero

mj3zero

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:08 PM

QUOTE(VincePirez @ Nov 24 2006, 08:03 PM) View Post

Hi guys,

Hitachi 47DJ flashed with v2.3 GaryOpa either revision 1 or revision 2 just won't read any backups at all.
This has only started occuring recently and since the fall update. May just be coincidence.

I've flashed and restored the drive to numerous different firmware versions, and still no go.

These are discs that have worked before FLAWLESSLY, but now won't read at all.
It's almost as if the firmware flash isn't doing anything, and is leaving it as the original unmodified firmware.

Any ideas or suggestions?

I very much doubt it's the burn, as these have worked before without any problems at all.

Cheers.

I took my virgin 47dj to 2.3rev2 two days ago and had the same problem - mine wouldn't even play originals. Restored using the 2.3rev2 - then restored using 2.3rev1(copied the backup folder to the rev1 folder) without resetting as the rev2 restore gave an error on stage2. It then played originals.

I then flashed to 2.3rev1 using the 16s.bat and it has worked fine since. Using a 111d and Ritek 8x media burned at 2.4x using the demo of CloneCd and ImgBurn.

I used the usb360 to connect - are you sure you're really getting into modeb for the flash?

mj

Edit - forgot to add that I did this before gettgng the fall update. I did that last night, so for me at least, the fall update has caused no problems.

Edited by mj3zero, 24 November 2006 - 07:25 PM.

#3 wunmanklan

wunmanklan

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v3.0 (falcon)

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:09 PM

maybe you got to tweak your laser. i dont under why now but i read somethin on the nme360 site about adjusting the laser to read backups perfectly.

http://www.team-unde...om/hitachi.html

scroll down to the bottom of the page

#4 VincePirez

VincePirez

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:24 PM

QUOTE(mj3zero @ Nov 24 2006, 08:15 PM) View Post

I used the usb360 to connect - are you sure you're really getting into modeb for the flash?

mj

Mine plays originals without any problem, regardless of which firmware I chuck on it.

I assume that as Windows recognises the drive, that it is in fact in mode B?

#5 mj3zero

mj3zero

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 07:34 PM

QUOTE(VincePirez @ Nov 24 2006, 08:31 PM) View Post

Mine plays originals without any problem, regardless of which firmware I chuck on it.

I assume that as Windows recognises the drive, that it is in fact in mode B?

That's what I thought too, but I read of a few cases where Slax had failed to set the drive in modeb and the flasher had gave a false success.

If it's a drive that previously worked with backups and still works with originals then maybe the poster above is on to something and your laser is on the way out. Thats the one thing I worry about and it pisses me off - you'd think MS would have learned from the xbox1. I never used that much and the Phiips went down after about 3 months, they replaced it and that lasted until it was just out of warranty - then I fitted a Samsung myself.

How long have you had your 360 and how long has it been playing backups - what media etc might have been been a strain on the laser.

hope you get it sorted
mj

#6 VincePirez

VincePirez

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:09 PM

QUOTE(mj3zero @ Nov 24 2006, 08:41 PM) View Post

That's what I thought too, but I read of a few cases where Slax had failed to set the drive in modeb and the flasher had gave a false success.

If it's a drive that previously worked with backups and still works with originals then maybe the poster above is on to something and your laser is on the way out. Thats the one thing I worry about and it pisses me off - you'd think MS would have learned from the xbox1. I never used that much and the Phiips went down after about 3 months, they replaced it and that lasted until it was just out of warranty - then I fitted a Samsung myself.

How long have you had your 360 and how long has it been playing backups - what media etc might have been been a strain on the laser.

hope you get it sorted
mj

I use(d) the 2 wire trick to get it into mode B.

As a simple test, for the 2.3 rev firmware, wasn't there an option to automatically put the drive into mode B using the eject button?

Do I just turn on the 360 using the eject button or is there another method?

I figure if I can get it into mode B this way, then I can verify that the firmware has been successfully applied - rather than relying on the output of the firmware tool.

#7 jabroniekilla

jabroniekilla

X-S Hacker

• XS-BANNED
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,008 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:47 PM

once the drive is flashed, you can power on the 360, eject the tray, unplug the power cord (so tray is still open), plug power back in, power on with the power button (tray is still open), and drive is in modeb. then just boot up the pc. and check.

#8 VincePirez

VincePirez

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 08:59 PM

QUOTE(jabroniekilla @ Nov 24 2006, 09:54 PM) View Post

once the drive is flashed, you can power on the 360, eject the tray, unplug the power cord (so tray is still open), plug power back in, power on with the power button (tray is still open), and drive is in modeb. then just boot up the pc. and check.

OK, I've done this and though when I power the Xbox on with the tray open it closes, Windows detects the drive so it appears to be in modeb.

Any other ideas?
I really don't want to try the POT adjustment.

#9 VincePirez

VincePirez

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 November 2006 - 10:01 PM

UPDATE:

I've just tried the trick of attaching a piece of plastic to the laser arm, so it can press the switch better, but this hasn't helped. Any other ideas?

#10 trick91

trick91

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 214 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:06 AM

what media did you burn it on and what burner? ive had heard more then a few cases that cheap media dies out after a while

#11 VincePirez

VincePirez

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 8 posts

Posted 25 November 2006 - 01:24 AM

Tried 3 different types of media at the moment. RiDisc (All of these used to work perfectly, first time), Datawrite (Since the problem developed I can't boot from these at all) and even Verbatims (Since problem can't boot either).

Burner: Pioneer DVR-111D 1.23 firmware.

I hate to yet again point the finger at the fall update, but this does seem far too coincidental.

Originals work fine, every time, first time, so I very much doubt it's the hardware. This also really puts me off doing the POT fix.

I know people will say "But I've flashed since the fall update and everything works OK" but I've read conflicting information here. Apparantly there are 2 versions of the fall update. The first version was quickly replaced by the second, once M$ discovered it was bricking most units that downloaded it, so they released the second version with the same release number and information so that existing fall-1 users cannot upgrade, and must return their units.

This would make sense, because people updating to the fall update now are getting the second fall update - which works fine.

Anyone experiencing this problem after getting the fall update pretty much immediately after it came out?

Edited by VincePirez, 25 November 2006 - 01:25 AM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users