Photo

I Can't Get The Other Os Installer To Work, No Matter What I Try..

• Please log in to reply
2 replies to this topic

#1 Xeriak

Xeriak

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 298 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 26 November 2006 - 10:20 PM

I'm trying to install the bootloader so I can install FC5 on my PS3 but to no avail..

I followed some of the detailed manuals on how to install $ony's Other OS boodloader and I'm not having any luck. I took my USB memory stick, made sure that its formatted as FAT and made a directory structure like this G:\PS3\otheros\

and inside the otheros folder, I have otheros.self and otheros.bld

I then went to Settings > System Settings > Format. Chose 10GB partition for Other OS, it did the format.. mighty quick I might add, reboots itself. And then I go to Settings > System Settings > Install Other OS

It detect my USB memory stick, it sees the installer and I hit X on the controller to continue, the next screen tells me the installer will start as soon as I hit X, and it says the screen will go blank/black for a moment.

I hit X and the screen goes black/blank and it stays black forever!! For hours even.. Plus i see zero activity on the HDD LED light(amber) or the memory stick LED light.... I end up having to manually power off the PS3 everytime..

I can't figure this one out.. I thought of the possibility of the otheros.self and otheros.bld files being corrupted with improper checksums, but I've redownloaded them countless times and compared the original sum, and its ok.

So either this damn installer/bootloader is broken, or its not compatible with my PS3, but it works on every other freakin PS3 out there?? Good man.. My PS3 works fine otherwise for everything else I do, it just doesn't want to allow me the bootloader.. >_<

And I really wanted to have linux on there soo bad.

#2 epsilon72

epsilon72

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,213 posts
  • Interests:updating my interests section of my profile
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 27 November 2006 - 03:32 AM

Perhaps you have to have the install dvd in the drive when you go into the bootloader? If that isn't the case you may have corrupt files, maybe....i dunno....

I'll be installing FC5 or yellow dog once i get a keyboard that's compatible with the ps3, hopefully it'll work fine here.

#3 bonevichio

bonevichio

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 454 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:none

Posted 29 November 2006 - 04:54 AM

what happened here? what was the final outcome...did it work?

i would suggest trying to re-download the file to make sure your download wasn't corrupt.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users