X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,150 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 June 2003 - 04:32 PM

i love it that this game is coming smooth
take your time, no point in doin the game if you cant be happy with the final product

#62 Bearhug

Bearhug

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 199 posts

Posted 06 June 2003 - 02:26 AM

More tanks and levels ohmy.gif

YAY!

I'm happy to wait.

#63 JdeezXBOX

JdeezXBOX

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 91 posts
  • Interests:Xbox modding and Trucks
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 06 June 2003 - 02:05 PM

When do you expect to be finished with the game
I might help in a few weeks cuz i am gonna talk C++ class at the local college

#64 The unProfessional

The unProfessional

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts
  • Interests:See website....

Posted 06 June 2003 - 05:46 PM

I'm looking at an end-of-summer beta release -- much to be done =]

#65 Bredro

Bredro

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 10:16 AM

Hello Guys

-Unprofessional-..I`m the guy that did the T72 for you biggrin.gif

I guess your main concern at this point is poly count?
There are some obvious changes that I can make to the model to get the count down.
If your happy with a 5000 poly count than that should be no trouble,while keeping the model looking decent.
The current cg gray model you see here was about 7800 poly`s.That`s due to the fact of the turret hatch and actual modelled wheels.Each modelled wheel is about 260 poly.A textured wheel ..well that`s simply the cylinder count..about 12 to 16 poly`s..depending on how round you want it to look wink.gif ,so needless to say there`s big poly savings if I just texture.
The hatch...yes it is a little highly detailed.I can change that also if you wish..however I think the hatch gives it a distinctive look.
As far as high poly models..I have both M1 and T72 at over 200,000 poly`s each.Nice to look at but rather unpractical for in game use...mabey as renders for website or something....

good to meet you finally,good luck with the project and if you need further help don`t hesitate to ask.

laterz

Bredro

#66 chilin_dude

chilin_dude

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,945 posts
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 08 June 2003 - 10:31 AM

QUOTE (Bredro @ Jun 8 2003, 12:16 PM)
Hello Guys

-Unprofessional-..I`m the guy that did the T72 for you biggrin.gif

I guess your main concern at this point is poly count?
There are some obvious changes that I can make to the model to get the count down.
If your happy with a 5000 poly count than that should be no trouble,while keeping the model looking decent.
The current cg gray model you see here was about 7800 poly`s.That`s due to the fact of the turret hatch and actual modelled wheels.Each modelled wheel is about 260 poly.A textured wheel ..well that`s simply the cylinder count..about 12 to 16 poly`s..depending on how round you want it to look wink.gif ,so needless to say there`s big poly savings if I just texture.
The hatch...yes it is a little highly detailed.I can change that also if you wish..however I think the hatch gives it a distinctive look.
As far as high poly models..I have both M1 and T72 at over 200,000 poly`s each.Nice to look at but rather unpractical for in game use...mabey as renders for website or something....

good to meet you finally,good luck with the project and if you need further help don`t hesitate to ask.

laterz

Bredro

Must say one thing to you:
Great models they really do look amazing! Hope you and all the team keep up the good work its already looking good!

#67 the_Watchers_eye

the_Watchers_eye

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 511 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 04:56 PM

hey bredro wink.gif

#68 Bredro

Bredro

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 05:54 PM

he he Hi -aka- Poor

Bredro

#69 The unProfessional

The unProfessional

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 10:03 PM

Hey Bredro.. it's GREAT to be able to talk to you directly =] . You do great work, i appreciate it very much. I apologize for the issues with the M1... Keeping in touch with you through other people wasn't sufficient I guess. I hope I didn't waste any if your time. Just so you know, though, anything you do and would like to contribute WILL be used in the game.

Also, in addition to in-game models, it'd be cool to have the higher poly version for use when say, the player is picking their tank. At that time, I could have a large, high poly rotation version of the model. By high poly, i mean 7,8,9 thousand or so. Then, the in-game tank would be lower poly to allow for faster gameplay frame rates.

Thanks alot for helping out... ! You rock.

#70 The unProfessional

The unProfessional

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 10:26 PM

Here's a link to the M1A1 abrams tank that was done for Jihad. The modeller doesn't really use this forum, but feel free to drop him a message on the www.cgtalk.com forums... I think he deserves some praise

This is a *rally* version of the M1 abrams tank. The texture used in the first image is just sh*ts and giggles... sort of as an easter egg for the game. THe desert texture can be found directly below it.

user posted image

user posted image

His cgtalk thread is at. Check it out
http://www.cgtalk.co...&threadid=67181

Edited by The unProfessional, 08 June 2003 - 10:28 PM.

#71 Bredro

Bredro

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 10:52 PM

lol..no probs about the M1.Yes now that I found my way here we can talk directly.
The T72 is coming along nicely..down to 3800 poly.
I know you don`t want any direct russian referrences on the tank,but I can throw some rad decals on it if you wish.
Something nasty..seems as their the bad guys in this case...lol

laterz

Bredro

#72 The unProfessional

The unProfessional

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 11:13 PM

3800 is in perfect range. Once the engine is complete and I'm comfortable with it's performance, we can worry about higher-detail and more sfx. In professional game projects, the engine is created first.. then, once limitations are determined, the art begins. Unfortunately, in our case, everything needs to run concurrently, so we have to gamble with limitations early on -- hence the request for low poly counts smile.gif

As for decals, we were thinking of having a few unique textures for each tank that hte user could choose. This would make the whole thing a bit more customizable and interactive for players. So if you've already created the mapping for the texture, you're free to paint in whatever you'd like smile.gif. For starters, Neil and I were thinking to just have a *flag* type decal for each team. Basically, each tank would have it's standard desert or camo texture, with some flags pasted onto it to represent it's team. Neil came up with a couple of flags that will apply perfectly. Other than that decal, you're free to add whatever you'd like to the texture to *spruce* it up. Some wear marks on the armor would be cool, too smile.gif

I can get those flags for you. Do you have any chat programs? aim/msn/icq?

The russians aren't bad at all smile.gif Just that the T72 is russian-made and often used by militant groups smile.gif

Take care

#73 Bredro

Bredro

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 11 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 11:38 PM

Hi Bill

No chat programs,just irc and just the channel of my other forum.
Texturing is not really my thing,so I just sort of struggle through on that aspect.
I can`t really make any map layouts cause basically I don`t know how to at this point.
I`ve only been usin Max for a few months..so it`s sort of trial and error at this point.
But the actual modelling is no problem for me.
Once I get a satisfactory texture on the model I`ll sent to Watcher and he can post it here.
If you want my irc channel let me know....

laterz

Bredro

#74 The unProfessional

The unProfessional

X-S Expert

• PipPipPip
  • 516 posts

Posted 08 June 2003 - 11:51 PM

Hey brero... yeah, toss me the channel smile.gif

#75 Bredro