• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:52 AM

Microsoft Blocks Downloads From 'Dummy' Xbox Live Accounts *Updated*
Posted by XanTium | November 28 00:52 EST

From gamespot.com:

It didn't take gamers long to figure out they didn't have to live in a certain country to get access to that country's content. Xbox Live users could simply set up a dummy Xbox Live account, put in a false address from abroad, and download what regional agreements said they couldn't.

That loophole may not be exploitable for too long. Soon, according to Xbox-Archiv, Microsoft will begin policing Xbox Live accounts and deleting "dummy" accounts. The reason stems largely from the recent addition of on-demand video content to Xbox Live and the multitude of regional restrictions movies and televisions have.

Xboxic has posted a rough translation from Xbox-Archiv, which claims to have known about the plan for weeks but is only reporting on this now as other sites have written about it. The site claims that Microsoft will shut down Xbox Live accounts with IP addresses that do not match the user's information.

Read More: gamespot.com via xboxic.com via xbox-archiv.de

*UPDATE* According to gamasutra.com Microsoft will not be banning the accounts, but rather block the non-allowed downloads:

Despite earlier reports, the dummy accounts are not being banned, but exclusive content downloads are being blocked to European users. According to a brief statement from Microsoft's Chris Paladino on the Gaming-Age fan messageboards: "Details aren't all in yet - but I do know for a fact that we are not banning the accounts. We are blocking downloads in cases where gold accounts are being used to gain U.S. content in foreign marketplaces."

Any Xbox Live account being accessed from an IP address not corresponding to the indicated country for a given account is in danger of having content downloads restrictions.

Read More: gamasutra.com

#2 Albert Street

Albert Street

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:22 AM

dammit!

#3 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 28 November 2006 - 06:55 AM

heh.. never got into that, but i know a couple members with MUTLIPLE foreign accounts...

im sure its no big deal, you just lose the account.

ive never had the inclination to make one, but if there had been a good demo, i might have.

#4 Jumpy_Beans

Jumpy_Beans

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 468 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:29 AM

so tahst what those 48 hour live cards are for biggrin.gif

#5 Naquadah

Naquadah

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 84 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:35 AM

GAH! i was planning on using my US account to pay for Phantasy Star Universe, as about 5.20 is better than 7 a month on my UK account... sad.gif

#6 DemiGod

DemiGod

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 15 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 28 November 2006 - 07:38 AM

so basically us from countries that Live hasn't launched yet are cut off grr.gif

#7 ILLusions0fGrander

ILLusions0fGrander

third echelon agent

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,500 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:07 AM

QUOTE(Jumpy_Beans @ Nov 28 2006, 01:36 AM) View Post

so tahst what those 48 hour live cards are for biggrin.gif

if you mean for foreign accounts, you can just make a free silver one, or ten free silver ones, and still have access to the foreign marketplace.

#8 SuRgEx360

SuRgEx360

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 50 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 08:25 AM

well then why dont microsoft make all content avalable to every one, none of this only country X will get content X bull.

#9 sandmanza

sandmanza

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 64 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 09:50 AM

Of course when you are in a country (like me) that currently does not have a live server yet but Microsoft has done a 360 launch and has a live server planned you have no choice but to use another server.

#10 Wargrip

Wargrip

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 14 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:02 AM

QUOTE(sandmanza @ Nov 28 2006, 10:57 AM) View Post

Of course when you are in a country (like me) that currently does not have a live server yet but Microsoft has done a 360 launch and has a live server planned you have no choice but to use another server.

From your signature I take it you are from South Africa? I hear you brother!! I am in the same boat and I just bought a 1 year gold sub sad.gif

#11 Dracc

Dracc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 431 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:13 AM

Not to spoil Microsofts amazing inovation of tracking IP country origins... but here is what you do. Use your computer as a gateway to the internet. Then find a foreign proxy and configure yours system to use it. Connect to Live with 360, create foreign account in the same country as your proxy. They won't be able to tell the difference. Slower downloads, sure... But people have been doing this for a long time in the PC world. For example, 99% of the private Ragnarok servers have their users download the Korean client 'KRo', and they must have a Korean IP to do this. Its not hard at all. And this will be the only way, since the silver accounts and cards will be immediatey flagged when they are activated. Yet another MS attempt to make exploits more difficult, but not impossible.

Edited by Dracc, 28 November 2006 - 10:14 AM.

#12 daggerzdave

daggerzdave

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:38 AM

I think i'm in a tight spot. I'm in the EU and I found out a few weeks ago that my xbox live account is kinda messed up. When I signed up to Live a few months ago the hotmail account I used had the US as my nationality. Its an old account and I have no idea why it was set to US. This billing region can't be changed, i sent two emails and one phonecall to microsoft to try and change it and they never got back to me. Because of this I cant use a credit card to buy points and EU prepaid points cards don't work with a US billing address.

Its not in my interest to have a US account and i havent downloaded any tv or movies.

I got around the prepaid points card problem by setting up a silver EU account, using the points on that to unlock full xba games and because content is shared among all users...problem solved.

Now will my main account which has an incorrect region/nationality be deleted even though:

i've contacted microsoft a few times to try and correct it and,

i've never downloaded any region specific content, movies or otherwise...

I really don't wanna lose all my achievements, plus i have 10 months left on my gold sub!!

Any thoughts?

Edited by daggerzdave, 28 November 2006 - 10:41 AM.

#13 Gmc

Gmc

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 348 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 10:58 AM

QUOTE(Naquadah @ Nov 28 2006, 08:42 AM) View Post

GAH! i was planning on using my US account to pay for Phantasy Star Universe, as about 5.20 is better than 7 a month on my UK account... sad.gif

Me too....I dont wanna lose my char :'(

#14 sgr215

sgr215

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 330 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:04 AM

QUOTE(Dracc @ Nov 28 2006, 04:20 AM) View Post

Not to spoil Microsofts amazing inovation of tracking IP country origins... but here is what you do. Use your computer as a gateway to the internet. Then find a foreign proxy and configure yours system to use it. Connect to Live with 360, create foreign account in the same country as your proxy. They won't be able to tell the difference. Slower downloads, sure... But people have been doing this for a long time in the PC world. For example, 99% of the private Ragnarok servers have their users download the Korean client 'KRo', and they must have a Korean IP to do this. Its not hard at all. And this will be the only way, since the silver accounts and cards will be immediatey flagged when they are activated. Yet another MS attempt to make exploits more difficult, but not impossible.

I wouldn't even doubt if MS only checked IP origin during sign up. Then you could just use the proxy during sign up and then switch back over to your fast connection afterwards. wink.gif

#15 daggerzdave

daggerzdave

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts

Posted 28 November 2006 - 11:16 AM

Would you lose all your game saves if your account got deleted?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users