PS3Scene

X-S Freak

• Admin
  • 1,453 posts

Posted 30 November 2006 - 11:09 PM

Unexplained PlayStation Network and Sixaxis phenomena, mostly explained
Posted by XanTium | 30-11-2006 17:09 EST

From joystiq.com:

Some of PS3's imperfections affect online play with the PS3. And those are the ones that bother us most.

We've been playing Ridge Racer 7 online every day for the past three weeks, and largely without complaint. A few recurring problems have, however, started to sap our Ridge Spirit (whatever that is). For one thing, intermittent Bluetooth downtime suffered by the Sixaxis has led us drifting helplessly into track barriers. That's a hardware fault, but a software anomaly was also experienced at this blogger's test location of Kyoto, Japan, where yesterday a race was won without any true racing.

Unfortunately, the Bluetooth deadzone niggle -- caused by automatic Bluetooth re-syncing -- continues to niggle. Worse, having to occasionally connect the Sixaxis via USB in order to manually re-sync its Bluetooth connection is something of a downer. And we want uppers. So, Sony, please release all the firmware updates you can. We've not written you off yet.

Read More: joystiq.com

#2 Ninja Sniper X

Ninja Sniper X

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:31 AM

ahhh good 'ol Sony...

#3 yourM0M

yourM0M

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 363 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:36 AM

why would u have to connect a usb cable to resync?? makes no sense, all other bluetooth devices dont usually ever get connected by a wired at anytime.....oh well ill stick with my 360's tiny resync on the top of the controller...

also -
how come the tech isnt out for wireless devices to change channels if they have a poor or weak signal from interference?? or an easier way like a cordless phone just pushing the channel button

#4 Serious Sam

Serious Sam

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 370 posts
  • 360 version:v5.0 (360S - trinity)

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:12 AM

This is lame on Sony's part. They need to fix that problem ASAP. The controller is a real shitty design starting off with the fact that you cannot replace the battery to the fact that you have to resync it with USB plugged in. Now a bluetooth deadzone issue? Come on! blink.gif

The Xbox 360 controller design is simple and well planned out. replaceable batteries, no wired sync, and 2.4ghz wireless works great. I have yet to experience a "deadzone" while playing. smile.gif

#5 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:44 AM

QUOTE(Serious Sam @ Dec 1 2006, 07:19 AM) View Post

This is lame on Sony's part. They need to fix that problem ASAP. The controller is a real shitty design starting off with the fact that you cannot replace the battery to the fact that you have to resync it with USB plugged in. Now a bluetooth deadzone issue? Come on! blink.gif

The Xbox 360 controller design is simple and well planned out. replaceable batteries, no wired sync, and 2.4ghz wireless works great. I have yet to experience a "deadzone" while playing. smile.gif

lol imagine having to connect your 360 wireless controller to the console EVERY time you switched it on. Hell, I don't even have to get up to switch the thing on!

Now I know why the USB cable is so short - people would just leave the damned thing connected if it was a reasonable length.

Edited by Martinchris23, 01 December 2006 - 08:45 AM.

#6 Ninja Sniper X

Ninja Sniper X

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 124 posts
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 December 2006 - 11:19 PM

QUOTE(Martinchris23 @ Nov 30 2006, 11:51 PM) View Post

lol imagine having to connect your 360 wireless controller to the console EVERY time you switched it on. Hell, I don't even have to get up to switch the thing on!

Now I know why the USB cable is so short - people would just leave the damned thing connected if it was a reasonable length.

I just don't understand what the whole point of bluetooth controllers are. Sure it looks nice on paper since bluetooth is the new fancy wifi replacement for short range wireless items. But you'd think they would use a more stable, user friendly thing for the accessory that requires the most precision when used. If you get a dead zone and a dropout while trying to time a headshot it can be the difference between winning and loosing a game.

Sony really aught to stop using all these technologies that look great on paper but suck something big in real life... for another example their cell processor. In theory they say its more powerful than the 360's processor (I seem to remember a press release stating it was like a "super computer" let me see if I can find that), but from what i've heard developing games to make use of it and their video encoder is so damned complicated it's just not worth it.

*Edit* Link to the "super computer" claim http://www.openflows...5/06/14/0132244

Edited by Ninja Sniper X, 01 December 2006 - 11:27 PM.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users