• Please log in to reply
3 replies to this topic

#1 IcBlUsCrN

IcBlUsCrN

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Wii-KEYED<br />360<br />ps3+linux<br />XBOX+xbmc<br />dS LITE+r4<br />PSP 1.5<br />FTA-ultra
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 December 2006 - 01:08 AM

This begins by me looking at the live arcade thread on this forum and wanting to try some games out, Mind you i dont play regular games on live that much anymore (once a month maybe?) SO last night i get home and start downloading /and buying some games, during me trying out doom it came up with a "there is a live update" well i said no and it kicked me off live, no biggy so after i finish trying out doom i try to buy it and it signs me on live and tells me theres an update, I say no And get signed off, In the meantime i have other things downloading Ufc preview/transformer preview/ 300 preview / the Free Bk king picture pack And other games. Kind off when i get signed off it tells me that the bk picture pack finished downloading and and see the tail end of what i think is a dashboard update and my 360 reboots. (i have only done the last dashboard update. So am not that familiar what it suppose to look like but i remember that it would not let you do anything but the update kind of like the windows file download progress screen.)

Once my 360 reboots i get the disc read errors. and there is where i am know I have 2 360's 1 i wanted to update having the same issues as the one i did not want to update both 360's are modded Hitachi drives.( i did not do the mods myself , so i dont know what flash is used but I do have the original bin) and they were both premium launch 360's.

I cant get through to msft but i think i am SOL regardless, but might have some options if more people have this problem.

Edited by IcBlUsCrN, 01 December 2006 - 01:10 AM.

#2 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:24 PM

1. updates are not mandatory
2. you wont be allowed to use Xbox Live if you do not update your dashboard
3. you will always be prompted before a dashboard update is performed
4. dashboard updates are not a background tasks: the system logs all profiles out and goes into an update mode while it downloads and installs, after which it reboots. It's clear as day with large letters on the screen stating "your system is being updated, please do not turn off your console." no other tasks can be running at this point.

so to answer your questions:
Mandatory? No
Forced? No
Hidden? No

#3 IcBlUsCrN

IcBlUsCrN

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 65 posts
  • Interests:Wii-KEYED<br />360<br />ps3+linux<br />XBOX+xbmc<br />dS LITE+r4<br />PSP 1.5<br />FTA-ultra
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 December 2006 - 01:47 AM

QUOTE(twistedsymphony @ Dec 1 2006, 04:31 PM) View Post

1. updates are not mandatory
2. you wont be allowed to use Xbox Live if you do not update your dashboard
3. you will always be prompted before a dashboard update is performed
4. dashboard updates are not a background tasks: the system logs all profiles out and goes into an update mode while it downloads and installs, after which it reboots. It's clear as day with large letters on the screen stating "your system is being updated, please do not turn off your console." no other tasks can be running at this point.

so to answer your questions:
Mandatory? No
Forced? No
Hidden? No

Well i kind of knew this already, its just the fact that i had no problems with that box whatsoever, it was mint then out of the blue Bang same problem as my live download xbox. Is it just a coincidence? I think not. or its hard to beleive. And how come i can go on live know even though i never accepted the update? and before i was getting booted for not having the update.

Its all kind of pointless now since i put them up for sale.

#4 No_Name

No_Name

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,154 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 10:07 AM

You accepted the update while not paying attention to what the dialog boxes said.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users