• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 Metal Militia

Metal Militia

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 04:26 AM

I'm planning on picking out larger harddrive for my XBOX, and want to know some pros and cons for this sort of thing. What's the largest harddrive an XBOX can read? What are the best manufacturers/models when it comes to heat output? And please, don't give me any biased info just you like your harddrive, which is the only harddrive you've bought.

#2 SR388

SR388

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Xbox Modification
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:30 AM

for the love of nintendo, please use the search feature

#3 Metal Militia

Metal Militia

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 04:19 AM

QUOTE(SR388 @ Nov 30 2006, 09:37 PM) View Post

for the love of nintendo, please use the search feature

...well before I posted this, I searched the first 5 pages with the words "bigger harddrive" by relevance, and nothing came up that was what I was looking for. I'd like you to reread what I asked, because I think you have mistaken it for something else.

#4 Comadaunt Flufkins

Comadaunt Flufkins

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 22 posts
  • Interests:Xbox, Computers, Mechanics, Guitars, Guns, Toys, Weed, TV, Loud Noises, Potato Gun, Metallica
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 02 December 2006 - 05:15 AM

Theororetically, the xbox could support hard drives up to one terabyte in size, but I'm fairly certain 750GB is the biggest right now. The downside to upgrading the hard drive is you cannot use xbox live, you will be banned, unless you put the old hard drive on a switch and use the stock one for that. You also need a modded xbox (duh). If your xbox is softmodded, the hard drive process becomes a little more tedious. The good? All the space you will probably ever need unless you pirate like mad. I feel that the best drives out there are made by Maxtor, Seagate, or Western Digital. Heat rating depend on the model and size. All of these brand are capable of ATA locking, at least all the ones I have used (about 10 diff models) which Is a must for a softmodded box.

#5 Cappi

Cappi

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,485 posts
  • Interests:Modding the crap out of xbox's
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 02 December 2006 - 06:36 AM

QUOTE(Comadaunt Flufkins @ Dec 1 2006, 09:22 PM) View Post

The downside to upgrading the hard drive is you cannot use xbox live, you will be banned, unless you put the old hard drive on a switch and use the stock one for that

Don't mislead people, you will only be banned if you have already been on live before. If it is a "virgin" xbox (never been on live) it will be safe to go on live with a new hard drive. If you have already been on live you will need to get a virgin eeprom and flash it to the motherboard using config magic. Then lock the new hard drive to the new virgin eeprom.

I have found Western digital to be the best and most quiet. Just about every hard drive is lockable so dont worry about it. The downside to WD is all their hard drives over 320gb are sata. The xbox will supposedly support 2.2TB. A 500gb will be the best for size and usablilty. 750's can be used but cannot be split equally so you will lose 100gb of space. Any drive over 256Gb must be formatted with xbpartitioner using 32k clusters to prevent data corruption.

#6 Metal Militia

Metal Militia

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 25 posts

Posted 02 December 2006 - 05:47 PM

QUOTE(Cappi @ Dec 1 2006, 10:43 PM) View Post

Don't mislead people, you will only be banned if you have already been on live before. If it is a "virgin" xbox (never been on live) it will be safe to go on live with a new hard drive. If you have already been on live you will need to get a virgin eeprom and flash it to the motherboard using config magic. Then lock the new hard drive to the new virgin eeprom.

I have found Western digital to be the best and most quiet. Just about every hard drive is lockable so dont worry about it. The downside to WD is all their hard drives over 320gb are sata. The xbox will supposedly support 2.2TB. A 500gb will be the best for size and usablilty. 750's can be used but cannot be split equally so you will lose 100gb of space. Any drive over 256Gb must be formatted with xbpartitioner using 32k clusters to prevent data corruption.

Thanks. Another thing, does IDE Ultra ATA100 vs IDE Ultra ATA133 really make a big difference? Or is cache size more important?

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users