The Grim Gopher

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:14 PM

My home network is wired, i don't like, trust or want wireless, i do however, want to be able to get my wii online when i get it.

Ive been looking at USB wifi adapters, im looking to get one that would work with,my DS, the wii, the 360 and the ps3. Does anyone have any recommendations?

i could get the official nintendo one but it only works with the wii and DS and id like to be able to use it with the x360 and ps3 in the future.

i don't want to spend much, being so close to xmas and all, probably no more than 30

ive found ones like this, but i dont know much about ti so i dont know if they are any use.

http://www.pixmania....-usb-key-2.html

cheers.

#2 SR388

SR388

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Xbox Modification
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 01 December 2006 - 05:44 PM

personally, I just use my 2wire wireless router that came with my dsl package, it is a regular and wireless router, It works with the psp and wii, I haven't tried a ds or 360, but I would imagine that it would work with those too

EDIT:
I think just about any wireless router will worK, just check in the manual and see what type of wireless everything uses, I thing b and g are the most common

Edited by SR388, 01 December 2006 - 05:46 PM.

#3 Larrimus

Larrimus

X-S X-perience

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:Xbox (360 included), Wii, games in general, car, car audio and most of all...my BEAUTIFUL WOMAN, AMY
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:01 PM

QUOTE(SR388 @ Dec 1 2006, 11:51 AM) View Post

personally, I just use my 2wire wireless router that came with my dsl package, it is a regular and wireless router, It works with the psp and wii, I haven't tried a ds or 360, but I would imagine that it would work with those too

EDIT:
I think just about any wireless router will worK, just check in the manual and see what type of wireless everything uses, I thing b and g are the most common

Grim actually wants to steer clear of wireless, hence the need for the adapter. tongue.gif

As far as adapters are concerned, can it be any standard USB adapter or would it have to be proprietary?

#4 SR388

SR388

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 390 posts
  • Interests:Xbox Modification

Posted 01 December 2006 - 06:53 PM

I know, I was just stating that my router is wired and wireless and it works with the wii, as in he doesn't need to use the wired part

#5 Larrimus

Larrimus

X-S X-perience

• Banned
  • PipPip
  • 445 posts
  • Interests:Xbox (360 included), Wii, games in general, car, car audio and most of all...my BEAUTIFUL WOMAN, AMY
  • Xbox Version:none

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:26 PM

QUOTE(grim_d @ Dec 1 2006, 11:21 AM) View Post

Ive been looking at USB wifi adapters, im looking to get one that would work with,my DS, the wii, the 360 and the ps3. Does anyone have any recommendations?

I'm an idiot. He said wifi right there. wink.gif

As far as good ones, no clue. For stuff like this, I usually just shop around online for some that are in my pricerange and then Google the model number to find user opinions and base my decision off that.

Edited by Larrimus, 01 December 2006 - 07:27 PM.

#6 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:PC Gamer, Console Collector, Raging Movie & Cartoon Addict, full time nerd.
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:none

Posted 01 December 2006 - 07:40 PM

A couple Questions.

A. How far away are the consoles from the PC you will be using?

B. Any big walls, Metal rafters or plumbing in between the walls of where you might be sending your wifi signal through?

C. Alternative Uses? Are you going to be using it for anything else on the side? I.E. War Driving, access the I-net at school, laptop use, etc etc.

Edited by EverestX, 01 December 2006 - 07:41 PM.

#7 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Members
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 08:31 PM

QUOTE(EverestX @ Dec 1 2006, 06:47 PM) View Post

A couple Questions.

A. How far away are the consoles from the PC you will be using?

B. Any big walls, Metal rafters or plumbing in between the walls of where you might be sending your wifi signal through?

C. Alternative Uses? Are you going to be using it for anything else on the side? I.E. War Driving, access the I-net at school, laptop use, etc etc.

a. about 4/5 feet, the computer is in the same room.

b.nopers

c. id like to eventually perhaps use if for my 360 and in the future, ps3, but thats not important as they have ethernet ports and i have a cable running to my 360 right now. Obviously my DS too.

feel free to chat on aim mate if you can help me out smile.gif

QUOTE(Larrimus @ Dec 1 2006, 05:08 PM) View Post

As far as adapters are concerned, can it be any standard USB adapter or would it have to be proprietary?

im not sure, that's my main concern, ive seen a few non official ones tghat claim they would work, but it's on ebay so im not so sure.

Edited by grim_d, 01 December 2006 - 08:33 PM.

#8 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts
  • Interests:PC Gamer, Console Collector, Raging Movie & Cartoon Addict, full time nerd.

Posted 01 December 2006 - 09:53 PM

OK, well that said, I can tell you that Buffalo, and airlink seem to have good reception. Of course, the distance and obstructions is because I was going to recommend that you go with 1 of the 2 above and do something like this .

You would get good connection with that and also be able to send out a decent signal.

Now just based off the Wii's built in Specs you might look around for something with a broadcom chipset, the same wireless chipset on the Wii.

I recommend also that you get a B&G usb wifi rather than jsut a B for better overall performance, but B will work just fine. They are close to the same price, so it shouldn't be a problem for you.

#9 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Members
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 01 December 2006 - 10:32 PM

http://www.amazon.co...0513320-1413518

bought this one, theres a more expensive one but the only difference i can see is the auto install feature, which doesnt fuss me.

Edited by grim_d, 01 December 2006 - 10:36 PM.

#10 sicknasty413

sicknasty413

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,590 posts
  • Interests:Modding... video games... eating... sleeping... computers... and those things we call women.

Posted 12 December 2006 - 02:48 AM

No idea if anyone mentioned this- Official Nintendo Wii LAN Adapter

Not being released 'till January

#11 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Members
  • 4,483 posts

Posted 12 December 2006 - 12:38 PM

thats why i wanted a usb wifi adapter, so i could get it online straight away.

#12 kermit007

kermit007

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 266 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 12:00 PM

Orrrrr you could just buy the Nintendo PC USB adapter if you don't trust wireless enough. It's some proprietary wireless setup thats WiFi, but only the Wii & DS can communicate over supposedly. On the otherhand there is the Nintendo LAN adapter (pointed out earlier) which I bet is the only one that'll work, but it's not available yet and it's $20 I think.

#13 EverestX

EverestX

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,351 posts

Posted 15 December 2006 - 03:50 PM

Buffalo + Hacked Nintendo Driver = Dual purpose Wifi b/g adapter and Nintendo wii/ds only connection on the fly... biggrin.gif

#14 deakphreak

deakphreak

Ting

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,432 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 15 December 2006 - 05:45 PM

Id just get the wireless router, you never know when you will have another wireless product you will want to give access to. Just turn off SSID broadcasting, turn on the mac filtering and deny all ip address's except for the one you assign to the wii. So you will need to enable static ip addressing and also set up a wep key. After that you should be good to go. The routers do not broadcast too far out so you should be safe. It sounds complicated setting up but its really not that bad.

#15 yaazz

yaazz

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,562 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 15 December 2006 - 07:47 PM

^^^ pretty much the best option

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users