Photo

Slax Not Working On Hitachi 59dj (a7n8x-deluxe)

• Please log in to reply
5 replies to this topic

#1 ooshoe

ooshoe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 02:36 AM

Hi, I'm using Textbook's wonderful tutorial and figured I'd ask for help before trying the wire method. I'm trying to use the Silicon Images SATA on my board (I know they function ok). I have even tried both ports as some with my chipset mentioned using the second sata port instead. I see no jumper to disable SATA Raid so I'm not sure if that's the issue (I've only ever had one SATA drive in use).

The Slax cd runs and stops at the login prompt, but I never catch any text about the Hitachi model number at all. Also, I was kind of surprised to find that, while powered by the 360 yet SATA hooked up through the PC the 360 dash can still eject the drive tray. That just seems wrong as I figured the 360 shouldn't be "seeing" the dvd drive data wise...unless eject is strictly a power function.

Any help is appreciated. I'm going to wait for some advice and not get impatient and hose anything.

Oh, yes I am using the latest Slax 2.0 alpha disc.

Edited by ooshoe, 03 December 2006 - 02:49 AM.

#2 jameswalter

jameswalter

X-S Knowledgebase

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,881 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:09 AM

Try the original Slax....as I thought they said the new one wouldn't work with Sil chipsets.

The 360 eject function works over the power cord...not the SATA cord. Thats why when people screw up the 2 wire trick they fry that part of the DVD board....but using windows to eject still works fine.

#3 ooshoe

ooshoe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 03:18 AM

Thanks, I will try tomorrow. I'm still confused as to whether or not it should work with the nforce2 Silicon Images onboard...one tutorial says yes, another says no. If I can't get it I may just purchase a pci card and modify my box so I won't have to open it again.

#4 myfranco

myfranco

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 820 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 03 December 2006 - 07:16 AM

Well i have an epox nforce 2 mainboard with sil3112 sata onboard and it works with all hitachis.Those who say not are probably trying samsung drives on that mobo.

#5 ooshoe

ooshoe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 08:09 AM

Well, the older Slax CD seems to work...it sees the drive and says it's in ModeB but I wait for the login screen (when I am to remove the disc) but it never shows...it hangs at something like "searching for data modules" If I reset my computer it hangs at the silicon images driver loading (about hitting ctrl-s or f4 to enter raid setup). So it's almost there but not quite...

#6 ooshoe

ooshoe

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 4 posts

Posted 03 December 2006 - 08:37 AM

I feel so foolish. Both issues were resolved by simply being PATIENT. I can now see the drive in XP and can flash it. The only actual issue turned out to be that I needed to use the older Slax disc. Thanks for the help everyone!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users