• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:35 AM

How to copy HD DVD movies with your Xbox 360 and a PC
Posted by XanTium | December 4 19:35 EST

From jakeludington.com:

One of the key disadvantages of HD-DVD is no convenient way to make back-up copies of the discs. The HD-DVD spec supports what's known as a managed copy, but so far none of the HD-DVD disks I own have this feature. If I want to watch my HD content somewhere other than my Xbox, or if I want to backup my $30 investment, at this point, I have to create my own solution. Until someone starts giving me managed copies, I'm making copies of my HD-DVDs to watch them where I want to using an analog solution. Following the guidelines presented here, you can use an Xbox 360 with the HD-DVD drive [one of the few HD-DVD solutions which will output 1080i or 720p via component] and a PC to make copies of HD-DVD movies.

You need an HD capture card with analog component inputs. This card captures both the audio and video from the Xbox 360 via the component output cable. Audio will be passed either via the stereo outs on the component cable or via Toslink to your soundcard (the 5.1 Surround option). A four drive array (RAID 0) of SATA disks provides enough disk write speed for real time capture of the HD video.

Note: As you can see this needs expensive hardware, and keep in mind it will only work as long as movies don't get flagged with an Image Constraint Token (ICT), which restricts the resolution for analog outputs without HDCP to 960540.
Read the whole article: jakeludington.com

#2 MrQRamos

MrQRamos

X-S Young Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 56 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:06 AM

Analog capture is far from an elegant solution to copying hd-dvds. Going from Digital -> Analog -> Digtial is sure to ruin any benefit of having high definition content in the first place. This task will get much more interesting once AACS is cracked.

#3 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3
  • 360 version:v2 (zephyr)

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:16 AM

No shit. Forget that lol.

#4 TheGreekBazos

TheGreekBazos

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 2 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:18 AM

QUOTE(MrQRamos @ Dec 5 2006, 01:13 AM) View Post

Analog capture is far from an elegant solution to copying hd-dvds. Going from Digital -> Analog -> Digtial is sure to ruin any benefit of having high definition content in the first place. This task will get much more interesting once AACS is cracked.

Yeah I agree...mine as well hook up ye ol video tape recorder!

Edited by TheGreekBazos, 05 December 2006 - 01:19 AM.

#5 appleguru

appleguru

an Apple a Day...

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,694 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:37 AM

Eh, a raw analog capture uncompressed @ 1920x1080p is going to look fantastic... as it would at 720p.

I just did a test with the 600GB Raid Array (2 320GB SATA perpendicular recording seagates RAID0'd connected to my macbook pro) I have here.. I average 150MB/s reading and writing to it.

I encoded the Cars 1080p trailer to 10bit YUV 4:2:2 Uncompressed video.. The video, originally encoded with H.264, is 9.97mb/sec compressed @ 1920x800 and has a duration of 2:06.16 (Filesize 150.2MB)

The uncompressed video (video only) for the same trailer came out to 11.54GB, a bitrate of 786.69mb/sec.

That's 786.69/8 = 98.83MB/sec, less than the 150MB/sec my RAID drives can sustain.

At that bitrate, I could store about 1.72 hours of video on my 600GB array... And I can easilly sustain that. So.. a 2 drive raid array will do; no need for 4 tongue.gif

Too bad I don't have an HD capture card or I'd do this.. I do have an HDV camera (records 1440x1080 interlaced MPEG2), but it doesn't have component inputs for recording; just outputs for display (only input is i/link/ieee1394/firewire).

So.. looks like I'll be waiting for aacs to be cracked before I can back up my HD DVDs too tongue.gif Shame, as there's some HD content from a few films I'd be dying to incorporate clips of into some of my personal films/editing projects.

Given DVD Jon's opinion on the spec and how it's very similar to CSS, hopefully it will happen sooner rather than later wink.gif

#6 Allen626

Allen626

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 279 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.1

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:55 AM

Everyone knows we can do this already. It is not really hacking shit it is just using capture cards. I can't wait to see the digital copyright protections hacked. Oh and good luck on getting a HDTV capture card that has component inputs.

Edited by Allen626, 05 December 2006 - 01:59 AM.

#7 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:59 AM

Is there no macrovision on HD-DVDs?

#8 Heet

Heet

X-S Knowledgebase

• PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,965 posts
  • Interests:Pina coladas and getting caught in the rain. Disk space.
  • Xbox Version:v1.3

Posted 05 December 2006 - 02:34 AM

Ya I thought those would be like fort knox. Im not ready to care about hd movies. Games yes!

#9 rasstar

rasstar

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 400 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 05 December 2006 - 03:29 AM

Thanks for the useless information.

#10 mc_365

mc_365

X-S Expert

• Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 739 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 05:37 AM

The author said he was interested in backing up his 30 investment?

If you can afford a component capture card you most likely can afford to spend $30 to replace a disc in the event the original got damaged.

#11 flashfreak

flashfreak

X-S Hacker

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,255 posts
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 December 2006 - 06:13 AM

QUOTE(mc_365 @ Dec 5 2006, 03:44 PM) View Post

The author said he was interested in backing up his 30 investment?

If you can afford a component capture card you most likely can afford to spend $30 to replace a disc in the event the original got damaged.

Ha, good call! So true

#12 explosive2

explosive2

X-S Genius

• Last Chance
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 840 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk

Posted 05 December 2006 - 08:05 AM

So would a copy using this method will actually result in an HD Movie or not? would you be able to burn it on DVD?

#13 alexh

alexh

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 05 December 2006 - 09:25 AM

The solution is "virtual drivers".

Software for Windows based PC's that to all intents and purposes are graphics & sound card drivers, they report themselves to the OS as a graphics / sound card, the standard playback software just works and the data sent to these "devices" is captured to hard disk.

Edited by alexh, 05 December 2006 - 09:26 AM.

#14 rocketknight73

rocketknight73

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 12 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 11:52 AM

Meh. Now if there becomes a more effecient way to do this the movie studios will surely implement the ICT on HD-DVD sooner than later. Therefore rendering our HD-DVD add ons useless:(

#15 twistedsymphony

twistedsymphony

arrogant beyond belief

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 10,466 posts
  • Interests:Consoles, Computers, Cars, Arcades, Home Theater, and the modding of anything that moves.

Posted 05 December 2006 - 01:36 PM

...AND this is why they want to implement the Image Constraint Token ... dry.gif

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users