Photo

Ds Hardware, Will This Stuff Be Any Good?

• Please log in to reply
12 replies to this topic

#1 Dano2k0

Dano2k0

The Cooling King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 05 December 2006 - 02:21 PM

Hi guys,

Well i'm looking now into getting some DS stuff, it would indeed be nice to get some homebrew running and backup my games all onto one card so i don't have to carry all of them around with me which is very annoying.

Now i don't know a right lot about the DS side of things, ive done abit of homework but thought i'd ask for info first before i buy this stuff.

What do you guys think to the EWin2 MicroSD card adapter for the GBA slot? and the latest super key pass card? I was considering something around a 2GB MicroSD card aswell which should hold plenty for begining with.

Now i'd like to know what you all think to this? i belive its a reasonable setup for beining with, i was interested in the DS xtreme unit, but getting one in the UK is pretty much impossible right now, the 3rd shipment has been delayed for months now and ive been told i probably wouldn't be able to get one even on a pre-order realistically untill the 5th shipment arrives! Only god knows when this could be.

Secondly, i'd like to know, what do you do for the basics of getting backups on this? do you just paste them on the card and they are found? and do you get a menu to boot whatever you wish from the card or do you have to install your own OS? and if you just copy and paste the games on the SD card, do you do the same for the homebrew?

Thanks guys, if you could post back ASAP i would appreciate it as i'm wanting to get this stuff tomorrow.

Cheers beerchug.gif

#2 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:01 PM

If you want to backup GBA games the DS-X wouldn't work for you anyway. You need a slot 2 device. I would go with the M3 for a slot 2 memory upgradeable device. If you don't need GBA support look into the Acekard. It is slot 1 and removable memory so you don't need a passthru.

http://gbatemp.net has a lot more info than I could give you.

#3 Dano2k0

Dano2k0

The Cooling King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:34 PM

Thanks for the info mate.

Do you happen to know if the stuff i posted would any use for DS backups and some homebrew apps? I belive even that doesn't support GBA, but i don't have any GBA games so i can't back any of those up so that doesn't bother me.

I'm just interested in playing the DS backups and abit of homebrew, in which case the stuff i posted should work alright?

Its just i can get the above for a pretty good price so providing it'll work alright then that'll do me fine.

I'll take a look on the website you posted.

Thanks alot beerchug.gif

EDIT: ive just had a look for the Acekard but can't find anywhere at all in the UK that sells it so i guess i'm out of look on that one right away sad.gif

Edited by Dano2k0, 05 December 2006 - 04:37 PM.

#4 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:37 PM

hey dano any chance of a link to that stuff? i havnt had much luck finding retailers for this stuff in the uk. that said i havnt really had a proper look because its not been on top of my "list of things to buy".

#5 Dano2k0

Dano2k0

The Cooling King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:46 PM

Yeah mate, its Glen whos selling the stuff, ive been buying from him for years now.

If you take a look on his site you can find a good few bits and pieces related to DS hacking, some pretty decent prices too, and to top it all off, at the moment so the front page says, its free shipping on all DS items.

Heres a link mate:

http://www.cheapmod....-bin/cp-app.cgi

Cheers beerchug.gif

#6 grim_d

grim_d

The Grim Gopher

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,483 posts
  • Interests:enjoying life.
  • Xbox Version:v1.6
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 05 December 2006 - 04:49 PM

thank you smile.gif

#7 Dano2k0

Dano2k0

The Cooling King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 05:02 PM

No worries mate, should be some usefull stuff there, its just ashame there isn't anything too special there, i was after the DS Xtreme, but no one in the UK has any stock at all, and the main site where it is sold at has been delayed for a few months now and should be getting the 3rd batch in the next few days, but they have pre-orders right up till they get the 5th lot in.

If you figgure out whats the best combo of stuff to get then let me know, i think the gear i pointed out in my first post isn't so bad, and should be good for what i'm after.

Cheers beerchug.gif

#8 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 05:10 PM

I dont know much about the EWin2 but from GBAtemp.net
EWin2
Pros
+ Excellent value for money!
+ Great build quality
+ 100% DS compatibility
+ Great patching software
+ Better battery life than similar priced carts

Cons
- No GBA support
- Low homebrew compatibility
- Software and Firmware in English but otherwise lacking in English support
- Micro-SD version doesn't fit flush with DS Lite
- Not compatible with SuperKey or PassCard3

Overall
8/10

So not good on homebrew and make sure you get the right passthru. Good on DS compatibility though. Looks like a good deal to me. IPB Image

If you can wait on the DS-X, mod-chip.com says they will ship on the 12th if you pre-order. I couldn't find a date at modchip-store.co.uk
Here is a link to all the stores worldwide that sell the DS-Xtreme.
http://www.ds-x.com/...ine.pl?page=buy

Where I bought mine was realhotstuff.com and they said they still have some left. They are shipping in the next couple days. They are in the U.S. though.

Edited by throwingks, 05 December 2006 - 05:16 PM.

#9 Dano2k0

Dano2k0

The Cooling King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:10 PM

Thanks for the info mate. I think the description is a little off somewhere though because on the site i would buy it from it says it fits perfectly flush with the front of the DS lite in black.

Now ive also been looking around and alot of people are making a big deal out of the M3 lite, do you think this is a good way to go? and if i got this with a 2GB SD mini and the SuperKey do you think this would be a good setup for DS backups and home brew?

Secondly, ive been looking around further and ive found something very interesting, this device:

SuperCard Lite - Black (Rumble)

Link: http://www.cheapmod....ercardlitebkrum

That looks pretty good, and a very good price, it says it has a rumble function? even the standard DS doesn't have this and it looks like it may be pretty good, do you think this would be a good cart? apparently it doesn't support GBA games, but i don't care about that, but it says compatable with ALL DS homebrew do you think this is true?

And the passkeys i can get with it are below aswell, i think i'd probably go with the superkey, do you think this cart and passkey with a 2GB SD would be good? the price is very good and i'd be really happy with that, especially with rumble capabilities.

I'm just a little lost here i'm in the deep end, if i knew this device and card would work great i'd buy it right off.

Many thanks for the help beerchug.gif

#10 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 05 December 2006 - 07:57 PM

You will like the Supercard Lite (Rumble) and SuperKey. I was gonna get that exact combo until I decided to spend the money on a DS-X.

The rumble pak is an add-on. I have it and it only works with about 10 games. The game has to have support for it built in. Nintendo has a lite Rumble Pak in Japan, so I would have to import it. I bought the regular and it sticks out a bit.
Here is more info:
http://en.wikipedia....wiki/Rumble_Pak

The M3 lite is also a great card. You cannot go wrong with either 1 you pick. Supercard is cheaper though. If you are not a member of gbatemp.net you should sign up, its quick and free. Here is a direct link to a direct comparison between the M3 and Supercard. Not the lite versions but you get the idea.
http://gbatemp.net/i...showtopic=29384

I gave you info earlier for the EWin2 MiniSD. The EWin2 MicroSD is flush, the miniSD is not. Sorry about that.

#11 Dano2k0

Dano2k0

The Cooling King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 06 December 2006 - 02:49 PM

Alright guys,

Thanks for the info Throwkings, i appreciate it.

Ive done alot of research on this stuff over the last ummm day, so i feel now i know a reasonable ammount and went ahead and made an order on some stuff, i got the M3 lite, and the super key which is supposed to work well with it. Ive spent abit of time reading about the M3 and everyone only has good things to say about it so i think i have made a good choice as its compatability appears to be the best.

Ive also orded a 1GB SD Micro card, i'll probably get a bigger one in the future, but thats a good starting point.

Now i'm a little worried about the SD card because i bought it from a site ive never orded from before, i'm currently at my fiance's house so i paid with my card, but it never gave me an option to enter a seperate billing / delivery address, so i put my name in and my fiance's address, along with my card details, and clicked next and its completed the order. Great! but the problem is, the shipping address should be right because this is obviously where i want it sent to, but the complication is the billing address will of course be incorrect.

Does anyone think this will cause a problem or being as they have my name and card details, will they be able to bill me alright?

I also got next day delivery on both orders, so i'm hoping they'll still send the micro sd card today so it arrives tomorrow but i'm worried about that.

Now to add to the issue, i tried emailing the company explaining what had happened and was telling them my billing address, i have tried to email them twice and both of my emails have bounced back without being delivered so i'm even more worried.

Oh by the way the website i got the card from was here:
http://www.jetmedia.co.uk

If anyone knows if they are a good re-seller or not please let me know.

So should i be worried about this payment or do you think i'll be alright? I'd guess i'll be alright, but maybe they won't be able to bill my card i don't know huh.gif

Cheers guys beerchug.gif

Edited by Dano2k0, 06 December 2006 - 02:51 PM.

#12 Dano2k0

Dano2k0

The Cooling King

• PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,457 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:12 AM

Hey guys,

Well with regards to yesterday and the payment problem i thought i may have, its all gone through smove and i got a proper printed receipt along with the stuff when it arrived this morning.

I got everything all in one delivery so i'm really happy!

Ive managed to get the unit fired up, installed all the correct software to get it to boot what i need, and ive also been playing games from the M3, it amazing how well everything works, the menu's are pretty damn good and it has so many great options.

I sorted all the save files etc to have the games working properlly in a breeze, abit of research and its pretty simple.

I also got the PDA software installed, but then found out its jap or something grr.gif I downloaded the english one from the M3 site, put that on and its like 4MB and the jap or whatever it is, is like 80+MB??? anyway enough said because the version of the english didn't work, so i'm guessing you have to patch the other version with the english files, i'll have a play around with it and hopefully get a result smile.gif

Cheers everyone beerchug.gif

#13 throwingks

throwingks

X-S Freak

• Head Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,957 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:17 AM

beerchug.gif
I'm glad it worked out for you.