Memba Numero Uno

• Admin
  • 5,201 posts
  • Xbox Version:unk
  • 360 version:unknown

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:20 AM

Evox M8plus VGA Patcher
Posted by XanTium | December 7 00:20 EST

FrostyTheSnowman released a new build of his VGA BIOS Patcher(info) with support for the Evox M8plus bios. This tool will add full support for HD resolutions over VGA.
From readme/nfo:

FrostyTheSnowman's Evox M8+ VGA Patcher for XBOX (Based on VGA BIOS Patcher v0.7)
* Supports Conexant Encoders
* Supports Focus Encoders
* Supports all HD resolutions, including 480p, 720p, and 1080i.
* Supports all current hacked BIOSes, including new X3 BIOSes.

NOTE: You NEED your HD settings enabled in your Microsoft Dashboard for this patch to function properly.

Known Issues:
1. When using IGR, the screen will turn green on your dashboard until you select another game, or reset your XBOX. (This is caused by the current IGR methods not resetting the GPU before loading the dashboard.)
2. Games that do not reset the GPU before executing will be green. (Morrowind, Splinter Cell 1 & 3, Jade Empire, etc.)
3. 480i games (interlaced games) are not supported in VGA mode.
4. When using a video cable OTHER than a VGA cable, the colors will be incorrect. It is advised that you use a Dual BIOS setup, consisting of a VGA patched BIOS, and a standard BIOS so that you can still use your XBOX on a regular TV.

Official Site: n/a, by FrostyTheSnowman
Download: here (for Evox M8+ only) (for other bioses, get VGA BIOS Patcher v0.7)
News-Source/Full Readme: xbins.org

#2 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.0
  • 360 version:v1 (xenon)

Posted 07 December 2006 - 05:39 AM

Please note that this version of my VGA Patcher is only for the Evox M8+ BIOS. (VGA Patcher v0.7 is incompatible with the Evox M8+ BIOS, therefore I have released a version specifically for the Evox M8+ BIOS.)

There is also a full tutorial on the usage of this patch included in the readme.

Special thanks goes out to HandledOut for all his beta testing. happy.gif

Edited by FrostyTheSnowman, 07 December 2006 - 05:41 AM.

#3 -Spud-

-Spud-

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:God, Games, Music, Movies

Posted 07 December 2006 - 06:57 AM

Quick question. I've softmodded my Xbox and used the Enigmah Video Switch v2 app to enable NTSC on my PAL Xbox, therefore turning on the 480p/720p/1080i options. I use the X2VGA+ plug to run the VGA signal to my projector. It works fine but I'm wondering is this the best way for me to set up my Xbox? Do I have the right colours and the best picture possible?

#4 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:43 AM

Well, it is the 'easiest' way. The colors and resolution are good with the X2VGA, but not quite as clear/sharp as using a VGA BIOS on the XBOX. You see, the X2VGA has to 'transcode' Component into VGA, and there is some qualilty loss when that is done. When you are using a VGA BIOS and a homemade VGA cable, you are actually producing a 'native' VGA signal, and therefore the quality is much better.

Although, the X2VGA is a great option for people who do not have the ability to create a VGA cable, and the X2VGA also does not suffer from things like the 'green tint' problem, so the X2VGA is still a good option. happy.gif

#5 signum

signum

X-S Senior Member

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 202 posts
  • 360 version:v4.0 (jasper)

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:37 AM

How do you make a VGA cable for the xbox1? I am really interested in setting my xbox1 to my monitor from now on.

#6 Martinchris23

Martinchris23

X-S Messiah

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,900 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:11 AM

No offence to the work carried out in this patch, but you'd be a lot better just to buy a good VGA adaptor. The X2VGA+ is fantastic and also has support for 480i. True, it's a lot more expensive than 'free', but it does the job very well. The newer X2VGA2 is even better, but a lot more expensive.

#7 Trebaruna

Trebaruna

X-S Enthusiast

• Members
  • 3 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.4

Posted 07 December 2006 - 11:51 AM

Also no offense to you, Martin, but an adaptor takes signal A and turns it into signal B. In this case both analog signals. Quality loss is bound to occur. And like you say, the new X2VGA is quite expensive. A patch producing native VGA signals and a cheap homemade cable will save bucks and give better quality, and the best part is it's not even difficult to do.

Frosty, thanks for your work on the patcher! Im going to put my xbox next to my monitor now and tweak it till it works!

PS: when you say cable other than VGA you mean the cable ID has to be set to 101 for the patch to work, right?

Edited by Trebaruna, 07 December 2006 - 11:51 AM.

#8 quall

quall

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 12:23 PM

I hate the fact that when I bring my xbox and projector to a friends house, I also have to bring my vga box. It's even more annoying because I then need to bring an outlet extender (and basically unplug EVERYTHING connected to it). The VGA box requires another outlet sad.gif

I might just use these bios. The only thing holding me back is that I cannot do a dual bios setup. So, has anyone tried using these with something like Phoenix Bios Loader?

Also, my vga box displays too much green when converting component. I am just wonder, are colors a lot more accurate when using these bios, compared to a vga box? I realize that there is an issue with the video buffer not being reset, but I think that is separate to what my problem is.

Edited by quall, 07 December 2006 - 12:26 PM.

#9 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 02:35 PM

QUOTE(Trebaruna @ Dec 7 2006, 04:58 AM) View Post
PS: when you say cable other than VGA you mean the cable ID has to be set to 101 for the patch to work, right?

As far as cable IDs go, your cable needs to be set to 2+3 mode for my VGA patch to work. (HDTV)

Also, be sure that your HD settings are turned on in the Microsoft Dashboard. (480p, 720p, 1080i) happy.gif

QUOTE(quall @ Dec 7 2006, 05:30 AM) View Post
I might just use these bios. The only thing holding me back is that I cannot do a dual bios setup. So, has anyone tried using these with something like Phoenix Bios Loader?

Also, my vga box displays too much green when converting component. I am just wonder, are colors a lot more accurate when using these bios, compared to a vga box? I realize that there is an issue with the video buffer not being reset, but I think that is separate to what my problem is.

Yes, the colors and resolution are basically 'perfect' as far as I am concerned. 'Native' VGA on the XBOX is just gorgeous.

And yes, you can use my patcher with a BFM BIOS. All you have to do is check the 'Convert to BFM' option in XBtool to create a BFM BIOS. I've tried the X2 4981 BIOS with VGA Patcher v0.7 (My multi-bios VGA patcher) and it works perfectly.

This particular patcher is for the Evox M8+ BIOS only, and AFAIK, EVtool does not have the ability to create a BFM BIOS. But as long as you follow the tutorial in the VGA Patcher v0.7 readme (And add in 'Convert to BFM' in the last step) you can happily use my patcher with a BFM BIOS.

You can find the link to my 'VGA Patcher v0.7' thread in my signature, and the most current downloads are found on the last page of the thread.

Edited by FrostyTheSnowman, 07 December 2006 - 02:45 PM.

#10 quall

quall

X-S Genius

• Members
  • PipPipPipPip
  • 903 posts

Posted 07 December 2006 - 07:52 PM

awsome, I think I will add a vga socket onto my box this weekend.

#11 alexh

alexh

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 07 December 2006 - 09:07 PM

Tech Question to Frosty:

Do you have any serious info on the Video Encoders used in the XBOX?

I've been thinking about creating a program to try to enable single field (non-interlaced) SD TV modes effectively 240p.

Most emulators would benefit greatly from such a mode and I am sure it would be possible with the full tech info and a bit of time.

This low-level control of the video encoder isnt available in the XDK and I have been looking for the HRM for the encoders for quite some time.

#12 edwinmcdunlap

edwinmcdunlap

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,796 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.6

Posted 07 December 2006 - 10:17 PM

One other difference between VGA BIOS vs. Transcoder (like X2VGA):

You can only play Xbox Live on a retail BIOS, therefore, no Live with a VGA BIOS.
That's why I bought an X2VGA2 tongue.gif

#13 -Spud-

-Spud-

X-S Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 106 posts
  • Interests:God, Games, Music, Movies

Posted 08 December 2006 - 03:37 AM

Thanks for all the info FrostyTheSnowman. I might have to try out this native VGA picture and compare it to the X2VGA+.

#14 FrostyTheSnowman

FrostyTheSnowman

X-S Freak

• Members
  • PipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,674 posts

Posted 08 December 2006 - 06:20 AM

QUOTE(alexh @ Dec 7 2006, 02:14 PM) View Post

Tech Question to Frosty:

Do you have any serious info on the Video Encoders used in the XBOX?

I've been thinking about creating a program to try to enable single field (non-interlaced) SD TV modes effectively 240p.

Most emulators would benefit greatly from such a mode and I am sure it would be possible with the full tech info and a bit of time.

This low-level control of the video encoder isnt available in the XDK and I have been looking for the HRM for the encoders for quite some time.

Unfortunately, I do not have a 'thorough' enough knowledge of the encoder registers used in the XBOX to do anything more than Sync and Color changes. (Sync and Color registers are all that need to be tweaked for the encoder to output the VGA standard. The actual GPU registers need to be patched too, but that is fairly easy.)

But, both the Conexant CX25871 and Focus FS454 encoders are actually quite common, and their datasheets are readily available online, so by carefully examining them you could more than likely do this. One thing that will make the whole process easier for you is the fact that the BIOS kernel itself contains the entire register table for both encoders, so it's simply just a matter of using a hex editor to change the registers.

NOTE: There is also the Xcalibur encoder too, but that encoder is completely undocumented because Microsoft developed it internally. So far, all attempts have failed to figure out what the registers do, which is why we do not have a VGA BIOS for these encoders, so developing a 'single-field' BIOS would be very difficult for this encoder.

Edited by FrostyTheSnowman, 08 December 2006 - 06:21 AM.

#15 alexh

alexh

X-S X-perience

• Members
  • PipPip
  • 404 posts
  • Xbox Version:v1.2
  • 360 version:none

Posted 08 December 2006 - 12:23 PM

I wasnt so much thinking a single field BIOS more a single field application.

Currently emulators have to double the number of lines they draw (which takes CPU power) and when displayed you get a combination of interlacing artifacts / blurring depending on which level of flicker filter you have.

With single field rendering you would have no flicker with filter off and no blurring.

Also frees up more CPU power, more memory (as you only need a field buffer and not a frame buffer) and allows things like VSYNC to prevent tearing.

Because you cannot enable single field modes from the XDK people have not tried to do them.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users